Become a Patron!

Hello! I'm doing something wrong but...

help!

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello, hope somebody doesn't mind giving me some advice. Trying to be careful & do things properly, building my first coils using 26g Kanthal on a Silverplay v2; testing 6/5 wrap single coil on coilmaster ohm meter read 4.98 ohm! Not understanding that, having checked all connections tight, tried twin coil (matching, about 4mm legs) but read as 6.05 ohm! Kinda nonplussed, really keen to get the tank running but was expecting about 1 ohm according to Steam Engine, and would assume half that with twin coils assuming the Silverplay runs them in parallel. Has anybody got the time to educate a newbie, doing my best to build right and understand what I'm up to before I run it on the Fuchai 200w. help!

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
2 things:
1st, make sure the coil is secured tightly, so tighten those screws down well, having those loose can cause what you're describing (I've had .2Ω and less coils read at 3Ω because of this).

2nd, tweak the coil around a bit, maybe some things are touching that shouldn't, though generally that goes the other direction (lower resistance than it should be) but worth trying anyways.

Those are my first two things when something funky shows up like this.

help!

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
2 things:
1st, make sure the coil is secured tightly, so tighten those screws down well, having those loose can cause what you're describing (I've had .2Ω and less coils read at 3Ω because of this).

2nd, tweak the coil around a bit, maybe some things are touching that shouldn't, though generally that goes the other direction (lower resistance than it should be) but worth trying anyways.

Those are my first two things when something funky shows up like this.
Hi Jerus, thanks for getting straight back! Sure, did check everything was fastened down tight and nothing was shorting out. Twin coil now reading 6.29 ohm, I'll build another pair tomorrow and see how that reads. Only other Kanthal I've got in is 24g but maybe better get some 28g or 30g and see if that helps with fewer winds. Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, if the ohms are that high, I suspect there is a problem with your insulators either on the 510 or the build deck. Are you sure the Ohms were not .629?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Jerus, thanks for getting straight back! Sure, did check everything was fastened down tight and nothing was shorting out. Twin coil now reading 6.29 ohm, I'll build another pair tomorrow and see how that reads. Only other Kanthal I've got in is 24g but maybe better get some 28g or 30g and see if that helps with fewer winds. Thanks for taking the time to answer!
No problem, something does sound very wrong though.

To have it read 6Ω in a dual coil setup that'd be 2 12Ω coils, which is pretty ridiculous. With 26g Kanthal that should be 120 wraps, yeah that's not right.

Something that should be touching isn't or that shouldn't be touching is, that would be my guess. Maybe the insulation in the deck is screwed up. Something. because there is no way you should be getting those results, it's not the coil, it's something else.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
1. You said new builder so are you sure the ohm meter is working? Try something else in it to make sure.
2. There's high resistance in the RDA, put the RDA in the ohm meter and short out the posts and it should read 0 ohms.
26g kanthal at 6 wraps should in no way read that high. What size core are you using?

help!

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello Jerus, Zamazam, Angrygod and ej, thank you all for taking the time to comment...all good, will learn from your advise what to look for. Coils 2.5mm btw. Didn't think even my first coils could be that far out, checked my cheap coilmaster against a proper one (521) and that's the problem. Will hopefully get a replacement that actually reads! So, at last really enjoying Crucial Vapors (UK juice from Merseyside) key lime cheesecake (80/20) which is both tasting really nice and pretty cloudy at 55w into dual 3mm coils giving 0.3 ohm. Looking forward to trying their salted caramel tobacco as I do miss the taste of a smoke sometimes...I'll go and look for a juice page in the forums to see if anybody else admits to liking tobacco flavours! Thank you for your advice and encouragement, glad I came here, nice friendly forum!

VU Sponsors