Hello Peeps - I am addicted to Vaping in a week! Questions Inside

munchy_cool

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello All,

So, I am an avid phone trader and used to buy and sell a lot of phones on another forum website. In the lounge section they had a thread about vaping. After 2 years I decided to give a try, so I drop and e-mail to a friend of mine (who is on that forum) and he gives a basic rundown of the below things :-

• mod
  • tank
  • RDA vs RBA
  • juice
  • nicotine levels
  • VG and PG

Now, this dude told me (and I appreciate him) that if you gotta switch over, do it right. Do not go in for the cheap ecigs you get at gas stations which cost less than $10. So, I paid him some money and he sold me one of his setups. In the mail I got a Smok M80 X Pro Plus, Mutation X4 and a Freakshow Mini (all authentic), some kanthal wire and japanese cotton. Yes, I jumped the gun and went straight for a RDA ;). I watched a few videos sent by him to get the basics right.

The X4 was coiled with Kanthal and I just had to change the cotton, which was easy weasy. The freakshow was coiled with Nickel wires, had to redo it with Kanthal. I shorted the first time I did it, but next time was kinda easy with a dual coil setup on the freakshow. It fires up well, still waiting for my drip tips to arrive so that I can give the freakshow a try.

A dude at work noticed that I was new to vaping but jumped straight to RDA and he was surprised. He gave me a Kanger subtank mini (minus the coils and RBA, coils are on the way from Cali). So, I will give the subtank mini a spin later this week.

As for the jucices, right now I have the burst (80VG/20VG/0Nic) and Mothers milk (0mg). Picked both of these from a local vape shop and I was surprised that I was enjoying the 0mg juices more than the 3mg ones.

Yesterday, I picked up $50 worth of juices. In case someone is looking check out this deal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...e_lightning_liquids_x3_60ml_bottles_for_3000/

I do have a few questions though:-

1. I vape the M80 pro plus in wattage mode, at 20w with the X4. I do not like hot vaping, I prefer it to be cooler. Sometimes though it does hit me in the throat and I end up coughing. What am I doing wrong here.
  2. As I mentioned I like cold vaping, what would be the best/appropriate setting for a n00b like me on the setup I have, m80 pro plus and X4.
  3. I feel, I need another setup for myself. A mod and a tank. Now, I prefer vaping at 15-25W so what would be a good setup for me.
  4. When do we use temperature mode and what are it's advantages over wattage mode.

sprad05

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you like cold vaping, then you want to use temperature mode. Basically temp control allows you to control the temperature at which your child heat up. So, you can set it at a temperature that you either like, and if you prefer you can set it just lower than the temperature that cotton burns, which in turns means you never ever get a dry hit. I know your new, but if you ever get a REALLY BAD dry hit, you will completely understand. Since I have switched to temp control I haven't looked back.

Now, having variable wattage allows you to control how much power you use. I've found I need more wattage when using nickel builds in temp control. But with most kanthan builds i stick around 35ish.

Hope this helps a lil. I think I saw from another post you are in FL. What part?

Too be honest man i have been vaping out of the Kangertech sub for about two months now and its amazing with the wattage control and for the price paid. Not to mention man you shouldn't have jumped right into RDA's....you have to get used to the amount of vapor coming out of the RBA's first and perhaps maybe you can come back to your RDA's is my suggestion. Kangertech subtank mini is a GREAT start for people new to vaping.

munchy_cool

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you like cold vaping, then you want to use temperature mode. Basically temp control allows you to control the temperature at which your child heat up. So, you can set it at a temperature that you either like, and if you prefer you can set it just lower than the temperature that cotton burns, which in turns means you never ever get a dry hit. I know your new, but if you ever get a REALLY BAD dry hit, you will completely understand. Since I have switched to temp control I haven't looked back.

Now, having variable wattage allows you to control how much power you use. I've found I need more wattage when using nickel builds in temp control. But with most kanthan builds i stick around 35ish.

Hope this helps a lil. I think I saw from another post you are in FL. What part?

So, with a kanthan coil I can do temp control on my m80 pro plus? I have had a really bad dry hit when I vaped the first time , burned the cotton :)
I am in Miami bro :)

munchy_cool

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Too be honest man i have been vaping out of the Kangertech sub for about two months now and its amazing with the wattage control and for the price paid. Not to mention man you shouldn't have jumped right into RDA's....you have to get used to the amount of vapor coming out of the RBA's first and perhaps maybe you can come back to your RDA's is my suggestion. Kangertech subtank mini is a GREAT start for people new to vaping.

I agree with you , hence I would be using the subtank mini. Just waiting for the coils to come in and in the mean time looking for a RBA for the subtank mini so I can save the money spent on coils :D

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some good advice here already - and a nice beginner setup! Blows my old 510s out of the water.

You're going to need nickel wire to build for temp control. I don't know much about it, but this I know.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

munchy_cool

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're going to need nickel wire to build for temp control. I don't know much about it, but this I know.
yeah man, thats what I have been reading. for TC we need Ni wires with more circles. This because Ni has no or little resistance hence we can use it only on a TC mod.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Like Dave said...to use temp limiting you'll want to get nickel coils.
They sell those for the kanger subtank. Not sure who all has those but I know vaporshark sells them on their website.http://www.vaporshark.com/
I use TC quite a bit. Not on a smok though. I know that most tc mods like about a 0.08-0.15 ohm build(kanger coils are 0.15).
For my dual coil builds I use 28g tempered ni200 wrapped around a 3mm drill bit at 11/12 spaced wraps.
For my single coils I do the same but with 26g. Both pit me in the 0.09-0.11 neighborhood. You can get the tempered nickel from "lightening vapes" http://www.lightningvapes.com/ also do not dry burn tempered nickel. Its tempered to firm it up and make it easier to work with but of you dry burn it , it gets soft and flacid again. -like when you're in a cold shower.
Some people use titanium wire but thats a whole bother ball game and i wasn't fan so i don't know much there or if the smok is set up for it.
Hate this guy but its a good nickel tutprial

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Another thing if you like a cooler vape... Its not all about low power. That has something to do with it, but the build does as well. Finding that perfect vape is more of a process of trial and error and finding what you like.
You'll see alot of cats swear by one thing or another. I've found a combination of things seems to work for me, depending on the RDA or RTA, which is usually a combination of airflow, build, position of the build and power.

You'll figure it out, congrats on making the switch!

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome-Glitters-62.gif

VU Sponsors