Become a Patron!

Hellvape EIR Pod System

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

Hellvape are known for a few things, mainly rebuildable atomizers that are often part of the Dead Rabbit and Fat Rabbit ranges, with an occasional stock-coil tank thrown in for good measure.

What they aren’t known for are pod systems, but that’s exactly what I have here, the Hellvape EIR Pod system.

Product overview

The EIR is an 800mAh pod system, with autodraw/fire button, LCD screen, adjustable power from 5-18w, a 2.5ml side-fill pod and switchable airflow.

DSC01733.jpg

What do you get?
  • EIR Pod System
  • One 0.8ohm KA1 mesh coil
  • Type-C USB cable
  • Lanyard
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, just getting one coil doesn’t fill me with happiness for a multitude of reasons.

First impressions

Aesthetically, there are no major deviations from the standard pod system formula, with the single button and LCD screen on the front, single airflow hole on the side and charging port on the bottom. There is a Hellvape logo on the back and the front seems to be free of logos, until you hit the fire button or activate the autodraw and a hidden EIR logo lights up from behind a black smoked section at the base.

Build quality is nice, with a metal body, responsive fire button and secure press-fit pod.

DSC01722.jpg

Pod

Unlike a lot of similar pod systems that I’ve been reviewing recently, the EIR pod has removable coils. This has pros and cons – it’s good for the environment, hopefully it reduces costs for vapers, but it does open up more possibilities of moisture building up under the coil. However, since receiving the EIR, I have put a lot of juice through it, and so far everything is bone dry.

One thing that I rarely mention in pod system reviews is the mouth-piece, mainly because they are all the same. However, EIR mouth-piece is probably the most comfortable that I’ve used on a pod.

The only complaint I will make about the pod, is that it’s not top-fill. Not a major issue, but still worth mentioning.

DSC01720.jpg

Airflow

The airflow isn’t conventionally adjustable, there’s no slider – what you do have is the option to insert the pod in two different directions. One direction gives a gives a restricted DL draw, while the other gives a tight (for a pod) MTL draw. While I’d rather have an actual airflow control slider, both options are nicely judged and didn’t detract from my enjoyment.

Functions

The small LCD screen displays wattage, resistance, battery level and puff counter.

Five clicks on/off. Three clicks to enter power adjustment mode and then hold the button to increase in 0.5w increments. Two clicks to reset the puff counter.

Battery

Charging times were quick and the battery seemed to last well without a significant loss of performance as the battery started to run low.

How does it perform?

The EIR is compatible with two coils, the supplied 0.8ohm (rated 14-16w) coil and an optional 1.2ohm coil (rated 10-12w) – the latter doesn’t seem to be available yet, so I can only comment on the performance of the 0,8ohm coil.

This coil requires a little breaking in to perform at its best. For the first half of the pod, I was getting the dominant flavor of my juice very clearly, but the secondary flavors were slightly lacking. However, once I had vaped about half the pod, the secondary flavor started to kick in. At that point, the EIR provided a really enjoyable vape.

At around 12.5w with the tighter of the two airflow settings, it was definitely what I was expecting from a MTL pod experience, and once I pushed the coil to 15w with the more open setting, I could enjoy a nice restricted lung hit.

Price

The usual sources are listing the EIR from around $15, and the coils for around $5.50 for a pack of three.

Conclusion

Most pod coils offer very similar flavor nowadays, so it’s going to take something different to recommend one pod system over another. This is a good thing for consumers, as almost everything on the market gives good flavor.

For me, it’s features. I like the adjustable power, the two airflow settings work well and it’s comfortable to use.

As a first vape, a back up vape or just for people who prefer pods to tanks and mods, I’d totally recommend the EIR from Hellvape.

Disclaimer

The EIR pod system was provided by Hellvape for the purposes of this review.

VU Sponsors