Become a Patron!

Help with Charging 18650 using a SkyRC Imax B6 for the first time!

Hello,

This is my first post and I wish to point out that I'm new to mechnical mods and eager to learn more, I have just received a charger and couple of batteries to get me started but before I proceed I have some hopefully easy to answer questions. I'm using a SkyRC Imax B6 charger and LG LGDBHE221865 (LG 18650HE2).

Using a volt meter my batteries read 3.55v and from what I've learned is that I need to top them up to a maximum of 4.2v, sounds easy right! well maybe I purchased a charger too complicated for my tiny brain. Turning on the SkyRC I'm greeted with a ton of options and I'm confused which to pick. I believe the batteries I've purchased run at Nominal Voltage (V) 3.6v and I believe they are LiIo and not LiPo. The charger doesn't actually have a setting for 4.2v but does however have LilO 3.6v and LiPo 3.7v. I'm assuming the right option would be 3.6v LiLo and if I'm not mistaken the charger will stop at 4.2v?

Below is details of the batter I'm using

Chemistry: Li[NiMnCo]O2 (H-NMC) / Graphite + SiO
Nominal Voltage: 3.6v

Charge Method
Nominal: 1.25A 4.2V, 50mA End-current (CC-CV)
Fast: 4A 4.2V, 100mA End-current (CC-CV)

So here's my question

Do I select Lilo 3.6v?
Will LiLo 3.6v and LiPo 3.7v charge till 4.2v using an iMax b6?
Is it correct to say that for a normal charge I should set 1.25a on this batteries?
Should I ever consider using rapid charge at 4A? if no, why not!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I don't have a stinking clue:(

Eventually somone will show up to answer. If not reach out to Hobby Kid as he is more than likely to be able to answer your question.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello,

This is my first post and I wish to point out that I'm new to mechnical mods and eager to learn more, I have just received a charger and couple of batteries to get me started but before I proceed I have some hopefully easy to answer questions. I'm using a SkyRC Imax B6 charger and LG LGDBHE221865 (LG 18650HE2).

Using a volt meter my batteries read 3.55v and from what I've learned is that I need to top them up to a maximum of 4.2v, sounds easy right! well maybe I purchased a charger too complicated for my tiny brain. Turning on the SkyRC I'm greeted with a ton of options and I'm confused which to pick. I believe the batteries I've purchased run at Nominal Voltage (V) 3.6v and I believe they are LiIo and not LiPo. The charger doesn't actually have a setting for 4.2v but does however have LilO 3.6v and LiPo 3.7v. I'm assuming the right option would be 3.6v LiLo and if I'm not mistaken the charger will stop at 4.2v?

Below is details of the batter I'm using

Chemistry: Li[NiMnCo]O2 (H-NMC) / Graphite + SiO
Nominal Voltage: 3.6v

Charge Method
Nominal: 1.25A 4.2V, 50mA End-current (CC-CV)
Fast: 4A 4.2V, 100mA End-current (CC-CV)

So here's my question

Do I select Lilo 3.6v?
Will LiLo 3.6v and LiPo 3.7v charge till 4.2v using an iMax b6?
Is it correct to say that for a normal charge I should set 1.25a on this batteries?
Should I ever consider using rapid charge at 4A? if no, why not!
I have an RC charger similar I do not use it for emods because its to much of a hasle having a battery box let me check a few things get back to ya it will charge it .... the only one that I see on your list is Nominal: 1.25A 4.2V, 50mA End-current (CC-CV) that is how the atypical Xtar, LUC or Intellichargers figure out when to stop.. you can safely use that one for now

Hell if I know why it is not charging all the way, also never heard of the charger which seems like the weak link in the problem.

Seems to be a confusion, I haven't even a attempted a charge, I don't want to ruin the batteries until someone with good knownledge with SkyRC or something equal to a hobby charger that uses the same setup. The batteries purchased are reading 3.55v - my question asks if a charger designed for 3.6v and 3.7v will charge until 4.2v and is the batteries I've purchased considered LiLo? etc etc.

The charger I've purchased is very popular in the HobbyRC world and is a all round good charger for all ranges of batteries. This isn't to say that it trumps all chargers because I'm sure it doesn't but I wanted something flexible and cheap. This is the charger I purchased >
http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=200

I have an RC charger similar I do not use it for emods because its to much of a hasle having a battery box let me check a few things get back to ya it will charge it .... the only one that I see on your list is Nominal: 1.25A 4.2V, 50mA End-current (CC-CV) that is how the atypical Xtar, LUC or Intellichargers figure out when to stop.. you can safely use that one for now

Hi MrScaryZ, thanks for the response. I've purchased a singular battery box that has the plug things on the end so there's minimal messing around with crocodile clips etc, I appericate if you can have a look. I'm 50% sure its li io I need to click but ya.. I'm noob.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi MrScaryZ, thanks for the response. I've purchased a singular battery box that has the plug things on the end so there's minimal messing around with crocodile clips etc, I appericate if you can have a look. I'm 50% sure its li io I need to click but ya.. I'm noob.
I have an older charger that does not do LIPO.. Take a look at the manual it shows exactly how to set it up

VU Sponsors