Become a Patron!

Help with Juice

Hi all. I've been vaping for about 2 years now. I'm currently using a Zeus X RTA with dual coils. Current setup is at 0.26 ohms, vaping around 50W. I've tried several different juices on this setup with no problem at all. I recently purchased some 'Mad Man Iced Out' juices and I get almost no vapor/flavor from them and the tanks keeps heating up until coils/cotton are burned. Am I doing something wrong? Do different juices need different setups? I've never had this problem before. Some additional info, although the bottle says 70VG/30PG the juice seems too 'liquid', as if it was 50/50.

Any help would be appreciated.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
You may have gotten some bad juice.
But it also may be possible you could switch something around on the RTA to fix it.
Maybe try setting the coils a little higher on the deck, if that doesn't work try to set them lower.
Coil position can make a world of difference

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try moving the coils up and down later today.

I forgot to ask.
I see you have dual coils at 0.26 ohms.
Are you using regular round wire or an exotic type coil (Clapton alien, etc..)?
Also what type of wire are the coils made of?
Kanthal ,NiChrome, Stainless Steel, etc..

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Also sounds like a little too much wick.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use that rda daily and in imo it is extremely forgiving. It seems no matter how I set it up it delivers. The quality varies but over all I get a decent vape. So I believe it is the juice. Not sure of a fix other than changing juice.

I forgot to ask.
I see you have dual coils at 0.26 ohms.
Are you using regular round wire or an exotic type coil (Clapton alien, etc..)?
Also what type of wire are the coils made of?
Kanthal ,NiChrome, Stainless Steel, etc..
Moving the coils down has apparently helped a bit, I'd thought thinner liquid would have no trouble getting up there.

As to the coils I don't really pay much attention to them. I just use some cheap Chinesese pre-built (I believe kanthal) coils. According to the packaging, they are 'Alien Claptons'. Been using those for months, no issue at all. I've tried some artisanal/handmade expensive coils before and I really see no difference.

Also sounds like a little too much wick.
Tried thinning it out until the point where it would flood when cap is opened to refill. Hasn't helped.

I use that rda daily and in imo it is extremely forgiving. It seems no matter how I set it up it delivers. The quality varies but over all I get a decent vape. So I believe it is the juice. Not sure of a fix other than changing juice.
Exactly. Before this one I used an an Augvape Intake, very finnicky IMO compared to the Zeus. I have to admit my setups are pretty lazy nowadays since anything would work with the Zeus X but I've tried everything to get a good vape with this juice.

Thank you all again for the suggestions. I guess I'll try and vape as much as I can from these juices before I just go ahead and buy some other brand.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I wonder if the juice is so sweet it is gunking up your coils in record time. When you've opened the RTA up, how do your coils look?

In my experience you have to use a LOT of cotton in the Zeus X or it will gurgle and flood. So maybe your cotton is too light and you're getting dry hits because of that.

For whatever reason, it definitely sounds like your cotton is being heated past the point of being dry, and that's causing the burning and the heating up of the RTA. Zeus X has been fairly "famous" in this forum for requiring a LOT of cotton.

When you rewick, make sure you really saturate your cotton well, give the cotton about 20 minutes to get fat, then vape and see how long it takes the problem to develop. Then open up the RTA and see what you have. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking the problem is not too much cotton, but too little.

Also please wick it with cotton, not rayon. That could be your problem, too.

If you can't make anything else work, try rebuilding it with lower-mass coils, like parallel N80s, and see how it does.

I was also thinking about it being too sweet. It's up there on the sweeter side but not any more than other brands, at least taste-wise. Coils get pretty gunked up though, I'm changing cotton and cleaning coils every day with this juice (I usually do this every 4-5 days). Maybe that's the issue? The sweetness? Also, how can you tell caramelized sugar from burnt cotton?

Tried experimenting with cotton quantity and saturation a lot, not much change. I find the Zeus X to be very forgiving on this aspect. I'm not sure what rayon is but cotton brand is 'Cotton Bacon Prime', no issues in the past.

I'll experiment with different coils, I don't mess much around with those. I've been using pre-made Chinese coils for a long time, alien claptons according to the packaging, no issues until now.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Caramelized sugar or sweetener gets gunked up on the coils. Sometimes it can get so bad it's like it forms a dark, crusty, lumpy substance on the coils themselves. Of course the burning of that darkens the cotton too, but the easiest way to tell is to look at the actual coil itself.

You can remove the cotton and dry burn the coils, and sometimes if there's a lot of sweetener build-up, it will actually flame up a little when you put heat to it. Just take it easy and don't set your place on fire! (jk)

Then it's definitely the sweetener in the juice. Just replaced the cotton, forgot to take a picture but coils were pretty gunked up and did flame up when dry burned. This is something I would expect if I don't change cotton for a week but daily seems a bit excessive. Guess I'll avoid this juice in the future. Thanks for the help.

VU Sponsors