Become a Patron!

Help with mosfets

Spencer2011

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
So I am building a unregulated parallel box mod. I use 2 high drain 30 Amp batteries. All the switches I am finding are rated for below 20 Amps. So i believe the safest route is to use a mosfet. My question is how low can I build if I use a mosfet without burning the mosfet up. And which mosfet do I need.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If you want to build to the capacity of two 30 amp batteries, then you need a 60 amp MOSFET, or two 30A in parallel, and so forth. The IRLB3034 is a common MOSFET used for vaping, and it's through-hole ( the good, new ones are all surface mount, which is harder to work by hand.) It has a gate threshold voltage of 1V, and a Source-Drain continuous current of 195A. You know you need a pulldown resistor to turn it off, right? 15K is common and works well. You can often find package deals for a MOSFET and resistor combo, or even a whole box mod kit, including enclosure, battery sled, MOSFET, button, etc. on eBay or Amazon and many vape e-tailers.

Please be very sure you know exactly what you're doing before attempting this. If you get it wrong, you'll be holding a pipe bomb.

Spencer2011

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
If you want to build to the capacity of two 30 amp batteries, then you need a 60 amp MOSFET, or two 30A in parallel, and so forth. The IRLB3034 is a common MOSFET used for vaping, and it's through-hole ( the good, new ones are all surface mount, which is harder to work by hand.) It has a gate threshold voltage of 1V, and a Source-Drain continuous current of 195A. You know you need a pulldown resistor to turn it off, right? 15K is common and works well. You can often find package deals for a MOSFET and resistor combo, or even a whole box mod kit, including enclosure, battery sled, MOSFET, button, etc. on eBay or Amazon and many vape e-tailers.

Please be very sure you know exactly what you're doing before attempting this. If you get it wrong, you'll be holding a pipe bomb.
You just answered everything I needed. Thank you for clearing up everything.

VU Sponsors