Become a Patron!

Henry Cavill on How Witcher Season 2 Almost Derailed His Career as an Action Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
While filming the second season of The Witcher, due to release later this week, Henry Cavill suffered a major injury. The actor, who likes to do his own stunts, tore his hamstring, which he says could have had major ramifications for his career as an action star.

In a new interview with IGN, Cavill talks about why the injury was so serious, and the painful recovery process.

"It could have changed my acting career, certainly," Cavill says. "I'd no longer be doing my own stunts because of it."

With roles like Superman and Geralt of Rivia, Cavill frequently performs in elaborate action setpieces. Witcher Season 2 alone features a multitude of of monster battles, requiring Cavill to be at his physical best.

Cavill credits physiotherapist Freddie Murray for his successful recovery, saying that he "looked after" him throughout the process. Murray was especially helpful in navigating the often tricky process of balancing recovery with needs of production.

"We did our best to stick to his rules of no more than five hours on my feet every day, but unfortunately production requires more time, so we had that very delicate balance of doing the right thing for my healing and then doing the thing that production needed me to do," Cavill says.

He continues, "Freddie was there on hand just to keep an eye, and to pull the plug if need be, or to help me with my physiotherapy every morning, we were there every morning before dawn to do hours of the stuff. But also on set, just to make sure that if the pain got to be too much, then he would find a way of easing that pain or making sure that we weren't doing any lasting damage."

Cavill ultimately recovered from the injury, but it appears to have been a pretty close call. It shows how intense filming shows like The Witcher can be even for a seasoned action star like Cavill.

The Witcher Season 2 releases on Netflix on December 17. You can watch an exclusive clip here, then read our spoiler-free review of the first six episodes.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors