Become a Patron!

Hey - Just a sorta-oldschool-ish noob from Ohio here.

Hey. Excuse me for any sentence mess ups, I started writing this at 4am.

Also this turned into a life story introduction.
Sorry.

Here's the TLDR:

'Hey, what's up?'

I rarely ever hit up introduction threads, but hey why not?
I found this site when browsing for some extra information and you all seem pretty chill compared to
how people that vape are portrayed daily nearly everywhere else.
Key notes being you (generally) all seem to be friendly, willing to help and have a large amount of
information and interest in safety.
I generally like myself enough to not want my hand to explode into flame, so safety is important to me.

Right so, hey yeah I'm a "keep it real" sort of guy.
I created this account because I couldn't find a search bar for the forum without one.
I wanted to search for an answer on a question I had and if I couldn't find it answered, I'd go ask it.

So.. how did I get here?
I'm a vaper that everyone hates if they know one simple thing.
I didn't use tobacco products (except an occasional cigar) before trying vaping.

What happened and why the hell did I do that?
After battling depression and sitting at "medically obese" levels of fattness for more than a decade I was going to start smoking cigarettes.
To keep it (ironically?) depressingly real, I needed something to help me from offing myself.

So instead of starting to smoke cigarettes I set off about 2010ish and started researching ecigs.
I picked up one of those classically overpriced gas station blu ecigs at some point (side note, I need to get an ejuice flavour that mimics their "sweet tobacco" flavour). It was of course "meh" but considering the times, it worked.
I only bought two of those and realized I'd throw away my bank almost as badly as buying cigarettes.

So I took a look on the internet... about the only information I could find lead me to joyetech.
Back when they only sold those little disposable pens, similar to blu.
But low and behold, I found out people were taking the caps off of the cartridges and refilling them!
The concept was awesome, so I decided to wait awhile.

A bit of time and a lot of research later, I went to the tobacco store and picked up one of those somewhat terrible Ego-T VV batteries and a kanger protank.
That's when I really knew this would work for me.

I sat around with that setup until the terrible Ego-T 510 threading wore out.
That was about a year.
During that year I worked a lot on my depression and the nicotine helped me massively with dieting.
I dropped 60 pounds & was no longer (and still am not) fat.

So the threading wore off, I kept holding the tank sideways for ages because I'm a cheapskate and didn't feel like spending more money at the time.
The end of 2013 hit and I found that goofball IndoorSmokers on youtube.
You know, back when his hair was slicked back and he looked tired as all hell most of the time?
He told me about the MVP 2 (even though I'm pretty sure he accidentally grabbed the original MVP in the video) & the Aspire Nautilus.

So I picked up a MVP2 and a Nautilus mini.
Well, there I am, here, now. That's still what I'm using and I'm willing to go ahead and upgrade.
Thanks to a lot of help here on this forum I learned a lot about box mods, batteries, atomizers, safety etc with upgrading to the next level.

Despite being a bit of the stigma guy of "he started vaping before ever smoking! See, vaping is bad!" I learned a lot of helpful information.
Information such as:
  • If someone is about to really give in and smoke cigarettes, they now have the option of vaping.
  • Nicotine without all the additional chemicals of a cigarette is MUCH less addicting than cigarettes. (eg. I vape 18mg 10 hours a day. But I've had to travel & have quit during that time immediately for weeks on end without any withdrawal symptoms other than trying to occasionally reach for my ecig.

So, I'll go look to see if my question is answered somewhere here now and if I can't find it I'll see if I can ask.
EDIT: Actually I should go sleep. I have to work.

Well, there's me.
What's up?

Marine3313

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey bud great story. I'm kinda new here but this Fourm is awesome. I've had members send me stuff and help out in so many ways. I too am from Ohio (Columbus). Well going to work now. See ya don't be a stranger!!

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU.
Having smoked for many years, I don't denigrate anybody that starts vaping for nicotine, vs. cigarettes.

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome-Dragon.gif

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Pheonix great intro and welcome to the V/U family lots of friendly and supportive folks here

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Welcome to the UNDERGROUND!

What kind of budget do you have for new gear?

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wanting nicotine without all that toxic tar is a winner in my book. Nicotine is an alkaloid just like caffeine. Nicotine just gets a bad rap because we didn't have the technology to deliver it in pure form. Now we do ! Vape on dude, and welcome to VU :)

Hey everyone, cheers for the warm welcome!

Just a couple things here to add:

@Breazy_Com I took a quick look any checked out your vendor site.
Looks like I might just have to make an order at some time.

& @UncleRJ for a box, batteries, charger, tank, some extra coils I'm looking to keep it around $120.

Now I'm just torn between the Cleito, Crown, TFV4.
Then I'm torn between just a simple 1 battery box and my friends that couldn't push 2 & 3 battery box mods in my face any harder.

Then there's the wildcard Vaporesso Target which I'm keen on trying for the ceramic coils.
But of course there is a lot less information on Vaporesso than SmokTech, Aspire, etc.

Either way I like to keep it pretty simple.
Regulated and pre-built.
I suppose that's all because I do a lot of electrical work... as work.
So I'd rather keep that just being work and not a hobby.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey everyone, cheers for the warm welcome!

Just a couple things here to add:

@Breazy_Com I took a quick look any checked out your vendor site.
Looks like I might just have to make an order at some time.

& @UncleRJ for a box, batteries, charger, tank, some extra coils I'm looking to keep it around $120.

Now I'm just torn between the Cleito, Crown, TFV4.
Then I'm torn between just a simple 1 battery box and my friends that couldn't push 2 & 3 battery box mods in my face any harder.

Then there's the wildcard Vaporesso Target which I'm keen on trying for the ceramic coils.
But of course there is a lot less information on Vaporesso than SmokTech, Aspire, etc.

Either way I like to keep it pretty simple.
Regulated and pre-built.
I suppose that's all because I do a lot of electrical work... as work.
So I'd rather keep that just being work and not a hobby.
Let me know if you do. I'll make sure your taken care of. TFV4 and the RX200 is a great combo. That's what I use. A single battery mod with a good sub ohm tank won't last half the day without charging or swapping batteries.

Let me know if you do. I'll make sure your taken care of. TFV4 and the RX200 is a great combo. That's what I use. A single battery mod with a good sub ohm tank won't last half the day without charging or swapping batteries.

Cheers. My friend specifically recommended the RX200 to me yesterday.
It looks like I'd might have to wait a bit or buy from a couple places as currently you seem to be out of stock on any color RX200 other than white/blue (personal preference :p ), and the Nitecore i4. I'll probably just wait a bit then though. I'd prefer to buy all from one vendor.
It's a bit terrifying dropping $45 on four batteries as well, since they come in twos I figured I'd get 6 if I needed 3.
However I don't want to wait too long, because you have a hell of a price going for the Samsung 25Rs.

The only thing that really freaks me out now days are the cost of the coils & the number of coil types.

Looking at coils for the TFV4::
Imagine you're stepping up from an Aspire Nautilus that had what... two coil types?
It's a bit daunting!
Depending on lifespan the prices are a bit up from old coils, but I do understand the extra amount of engineering that has gone into them compared to the older days.

edit: - on the note of coil lifespan, do you happen to know anything about ceramic coils?
Eg. http://www.vaporesso.com/ccell.html
"Know anything" in regards to general quality & if I would be able to cross fit something like that in a TFV4 or other tanks to try without buying Target's proprietary tank.

Thanks much!

Addtn edit:
So that puts me a bit over my comfort zone.
$50 for the box.
$45 for batteries.
$28 for charger.
$35 for the tank.
$24 for extra 5 coils.

Sitting at $181.

Last edited:

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the quad coils and the clapton coils. I just tried ceramic coils in my Kanger leakbox lol. They tasted great but they leaked :( They were supposed to be new and improved to not leak. Thanks for giving us a shot. Message me with your name and I'll have them look for your order and expedite it and see if they throw in a free bottle of juice

Hey, hard to argue with that offer!
Also yeah it's a shame about kanger, especially since my first every tank was a protank.
It seemed pretty amazing back then even with the gurgle.
Granted you also couldn't take it anywhere because of the gurgle too. haha
Walk with it in your pocket? Gurgle. Use it more than a few minutes? Gurgle.

Good times.

I went ahead with your suggestion of the TFV4 even though I know it guzzles juice like Kevin Ga.. I don't think I can make that reference here.
A good friend of mine is lending me a box & battery charger for a few months, just needed batteries, tank and some extra coils to start.
Needed to pull back the spending, Mum's birthday is coming up and Mom is of course #1 and always comes first.
I want to make sure I can get her something nice. :)

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Out of all the stuff I have, I seem to use the SMY 60 TC Mini with a Kanger Subtank Mini the most.

And instead of the premade coils, I use the RBA heads and make my own coils.

Out of all the stuff I have, I seem to use the SMY 60 TC Mini with a Kanger Subtank Mini the most.

And instead of the premade coils, I use the RBA heads and make my own coils.

Someday I might get into rebuilding.
Maybe if I quit my job first. lol

Again cheers everyone for the welcome.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome aboard Phoenix.....!

Glad you joined the best vape forum on the interweb....:)

VU Sponsors