Become a Patron!

High VG E-Liquid Question

wilderbeast123

Member For 1 Year
Hi all!

Switched back to a smaller, more pocket friendly device...the Aspire Pockex...

I LOVE this pen. Fits snug in the pocket, great battery life and the 0.6ohm coils are cost friendly, and gives the perfect airflow.

My only issue is the flavour. Coming from DTL, its really hard to taste each e-liquid. I get a small amount of flavour but it doesn't take long for my pallet to get used to it :(.

I understand that I won't get as much flavour than I did with my Fireluke 2 tank, not a problem! But it would be nice (and tasty) to get more flavour from this device. Correct me if I am wrong, but I can use higher VG e-liquid in this coil right? Being 0.6ohms. Looking at 60vh/40pg liquids, or even just using 70vg/30pg like I used to use!

Any tips? Is it possible to use higher VG liquid in this device?

Many thanks!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hi all!

Switched back to a smaller, more pocket friendly device...the Aspire Pockex...

I LOVE this pen. Fits snug in the pocket, great battery life and the 0.6ohm coils are cost friendly, and gives the perfect airflow.

My only issue is the flavour. Coming from DTL, its really hard to taste each e-liquid. I get a small amount of flavour but it doesn't take long for my pallet to get used to it :(.

I understand that I won't get as much flavour than I did with my Fireluke 2 tank, not a problem! But it would be nice (and tasty) to get more flavour from this device. Correct me if I am wrong, but I can use higher VG e-liquid in this coil right? Being 0.6ohms. Looking at 60vh/40pg liquids, or even just using 70vg/30pg like I used to use!

Any tips? Is it possible to use higher VG liquid in this device?

Many thanks!
Hi. I started out on the Aspire AIOs and as I understand this is in the same line. Can be used MTL or DTL coil dependent. It will never replicate a true DTL, excuse the comparison but Bhong like draw. But I think you already know that.
Higher PG ratios give better flavour than VG.
Pg is the thinner giving better quicker wicking time which favours small coils as well as being the flavour carrier.
VG is the cloud king but is a slug at wicking and carries little flavour. Being so high VG liquids require more time between hits, go too quick and you get dry hits. Burnt cotton.
I like clouds and like flavour, so after trial and error I settled on, and I use sub ohm tanks, 65VG .. 35PG. Great taste, to me, and big clouds.
You ever see those Vape trick guys chucking insane clouds? They use mostly VG to do so but taste very little.
Its all a balancing act. Get and use what you like vaping then try different ratios, whether you diy or buy, try different ratios to see what you yourself like.
Cheers and good luck. ?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Usually when you switch to a smaller atty fruits or mints will taste better than cream/custards or bakery flavors. Try simple fruit or minty juices and see if you get a better result.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Besides which, if you're after more flavor, you'd up the PG, not the VG. PG carries flavors better. Try 50/50 if you can stand the throat hit. I use that sometimes, doesn't bother me.

wilderbeast123

Member For 1 Year
Currently using 50/50 and using mostly just fruity liquids, still very small amount of flavor compared to my Fireluke 2 tank? Maybe the 1.2ohm coil will give better flavor then the 0.6ohm I am using? Lots to learn with this vaping thing xD

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Know it was said twice already. Not harping the point, only being in agreement. PG carries flavor better than VG. As also suggested try different ratios until you find what suits you.

Understand too, on a Saturday you might like one ratio and flavor. Come Sunday, you want something entirely different. You'll eventually sort out your "happy medium" ground flavor and ratio wise.

Don't feel bad either if you get "stuck" on something. I went through a year or two of having an affinity for Hawk Sauce. One day I just didn't like it so much, swapped to unflavored then a little DIY, going toward unflavored again.

Keep an open mind, explore. Remember what is right for you is what you find right for you. By the same adage, what's right for Bubba is right for Bubba. Vaping is subjective like that.

wilderbeast123

Member For 1 Year
Know it was said twice already. Not harping the point, only being in agreement. PG carries flavor better than VG. As also suggested try different ratios until you find what suits you.

Understand too, on a Saturday you might like one ratio and flavor. Come Sunday, you want something entirely different. You'll eventually sort out your "happy medium" ground flavor and ratio wise.

Don't feel bad either if you get "stuck" on something. I went through a year or two of having an affinity for Hawk Sauce. One day I just didn't like it so much, swapped to unflavored then a little DIY, going toward unflavored again.

Keep an open mind, explore. Remember what is right for you is what you find right for you. By the same adage, what's right for Bubba is right for Bubba. Vaping is subjective like that.
I am most definitely looking to try some DIY as well. Local vape shop sells the VG and PG along with flavors....think I have found myself a new hobby :D

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I am most definitely looking to try some DIY as well. Local vape shop sells the VG and PG along with flavors....think I have found myself a new hobby :D

I think maybe what you're experiencing with less flavor is just inherent in some devices where you cannot change the wattage. The Pockex is essentially a mechanical device, and the wattage output depends on the level of charge left in the battery. Element Vape's description of it says that it operates between 18 and 23 watts, depending on battery charge. That's pretty low wattage for a 0.6 ohm coil. In a variable-wattage device, I might run 0.6 ohms at 35 watts or more, depending on coil construction.

So you may be right. The 1.2 ohm coil may be better suited for that device, and try not to vape it until the battery is nearly dead.

Does it have any airflow control? If so, try reducing your airflow and that will help concentrate the flavor also. (Changing to the 1.2 ohm coil may reduce airflow anyway, as the coil itself is probably built in such a way that less air travels through it.)

wilderbeast123

Member For 1 Year
I think maybe what you're experiencing with less flavor is just inherent in some devices where you cannot change the wattage. The Pockex is essentially a mechanical device, and the wattage output depends on the level of charge left in the battery. Element Vape's description of it says that it operates between 18 and 23 watts, depending on battery charge. That's pretty low wattage for a 0.6 ohm coil. In a variable-wattage device, I might run 0.6 ohms at 35 watts or more, depending on coil construction.

So you may be right. The 1.2 ohm coil may be better suited for that device, and try not to vape it until the battery is nearly dead.

Does it have any airflow control? If so, try reducing your airflow and that will help concentrate the flavor also. (Changing to the 1.2 ohm coil may reduce airflow anyway, as the coil itself is probably built in such a way that less air travels through it.)
I'll wack the 1.2ohm coil in after I have gotten some more life out of this 0.6ohm one. Unfortunately there is no adjustable airflow. Any device you would recommend where I can get more taste that's still pocket friendly? I don't mind experimenting with a few different devices as long as it keeps me off those stinky sticks :D

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'll wack the 1.2ohm coil in after I have gotten some more life out of this 0.6ohm one. Unfortunately there is no adjustable airflow. Any device you would recommend where I can get more taste that's still pocket friendly? I don't mind experimenting with a few different devices as long as it keeps me off those stinky sticks :D

Actually the Smok Nord 2 has impressed me a lot. I'm using the Smok RPM RBA on my Nord 2 and the flavor and vapor are terrific. I've had no leaking either. @gsmit1 can give more details on this, I do believe. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, and it would be very, very portable.

It's a little wider than the palm of my hand, about maybe 5/8" thick, holds I guess about 2ml of juice. My coil is 0.66 ohms (made of 28 ga round stainless steel wire I think) and I'm running it at 30W and it's been very conservative with the juice - I haven't had to refill it yet.

ETA: I also have a Smok Alike, which is more like an AIO, but is very small and portable, and is a really nice device. I just haven't used it as much as I have the Nord 2. I am also using an RPM RBA in it, coil at 0.6 ohms, and also at 30 watts (it's variable wattage as well). The Alike is more box-shaped, but is considerably smaller than a deck of cards. I can basically wrap my hand around the thing to the point that it would not be visible except for the mouthpiece. It's quite small.

If you shop around a bit you could find either of these devices for a very low price, and I think either of them would work for you.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors