Hilary Duff Reveals Plot for Shelved Lizzie McGuire Disney Plus Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Hilary Duff has outlined the plot of the Lizzie McGuire reboot that was cancelled by Disney+ shortly after production had started up on the series.

Speaking with Cosmopolitan in an interview published earlier this week, Duff reflected on the highly coveted Lizzie McGuire reboot series, which was first announced at Disney's D23 Expo in August 2019, as she opened up about what could have been for Lizzie had the show continued production and made it to Disney+ as planned.

"My character was moving back home with her parents because she caught her soon-to-be fiancé cheating on her," Duff explained, revealing a more mature storyline for her character. "She was falling flat on her face at the moment and being like, 'I need to pivot because everything that I thought was wasn't, and I'm turning 30. What the f***?'"

Duff had appeared on stage at D23 Expo in 2019 to confirm that she was returning as her iconic Disney Channel character Lizzie McGuire for a sequel series. The animated Lizzie, who offered asides throughout the original show, was also set to make a comeback to commentate on modern-day Lizzie's life, working as the apprentice to a decorator.

Lizzie McGuire's original creator Terri Minsky returned to helm the series, however, it was widely reported that she had stepped away from the series shortly after production had started due to creative differences between Disney and the team. The reboot was ultimately axed, and the two episodes that were filmed never made it to screen.

When Duff was asked about whether she had ever considered leaking the episodes of the ill-fated reboot, she replied: "I would be lying if I didn't say I didn't have those thoughts a few times. But I wouldn't, because in my 34 years I've realized that everything does happen for a reason. There's a time and a place for everything. It just wasn't her moment. I'm constantly asked about it still. All it does is breathe life into the fact that people still want it, and that's really sweet. It's not dead, and it's not alive."

Duff is currently starring in How I Met Your Father, the spin-off of How I Met Your Mother. IGN rated the show's first two episodes, which premiered on Hulu on January 18, 6 out of 10, noting the multi-camera sitcom often served as a reminder of its "far-superior" predecessor, though it has "a long-term narrative hook that could prove to be its saving grace."

Adele Ankers-Range is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors