Become a Patron!

Horizontal vs vertical/chimney build

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey gang, I'm somewhat new to building but I'm a tinkerer with other stuff so I believe I've got the hang of it. I have 3 Kayfun v4 clones, which I really like a lot, I've been doing pretty simple straightforward single coil builds of around 1.0 ohms give or take .1 ohms, and am considering doing some more advanced builds, something that would give me even more flavor than what I get now. I saw several YouTube videos of people doing vertical coils on the Kayfuns, and my general question is, do vertical coils produce more flavor than horizontal?

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool. I'm really enjoying the flavor I get with my simple builds, but always looking for ways to improve!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cool. I'm really enjoying the flavor I get with my simple builds, but always looking for ways to improve!
Try twisted Kanthal, dual or triple 28 Gauge, spaced evenly on a 3 mm mandrel.

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With multiple strands of wire, I'm essentially creating a dual (or triple) parallel build, right? I'd need to do a significant number of wraps to keep the resistance above .8, I'm not a sub-ohm'er I find them too hot for my liking

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try twisted Kanthal, dual or triple 28 Gauge, spaced evenly on a 3 mm mandrel.
Can you please tell me what is the ohm rating of your dual and triple 28G. twisted builds, and at what wattage you like to fire them? You are building with KA1 I assume.
I would like to try it,since I like to experiment with kfls but haven't found any spaced builds that were satisfactory yet. Thanks.

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try 28G, 1.5mm inside dia. contact coil @0.9 ohm. Wicked from outside only, set close to air intake (.5-1mm away from deck). I run them from 1.5-2mm dia, anywhere from 0.7to 1.5ohm.
You have kf v4 with all the options to adjust air and juice flow so you may find different configuration more pleasant.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I like vertical chimney builds-- I've got a set of dual ovals in an MT that rocks the house-- but I don't notice a great improvement in flavor. I'd say flavor is about the same. It does seem to improve air flow, and is a bit cloudier than a horizontal of the same value.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
May want to use rayon for wick. Only a suggestion based on recently becoming a church goer of the Holy Rayon. :)

VU Sponsors