Become a Patron!

Hostess Blueberry Muffins

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SoXsqEb.jpg

I'm trying to get in the habit of posting more of the recipes I come up with, and this one seems like a particularly good candidate. I'm typically quite a tinkerer, never particularly satisfied, but this one seems pretty good first try. Also shake and vape, as time "steeping" typically stretches the bounds of my patience.

FA Nonna Cake 2.5%
FW Yellow Cake .5%
TFA GC Cheesecake .75%
FA Meringue .5%
TFA Blueberry Extra 5%
TFA Sweet Cream 1%

Also wanted to say that I'm vaping this at rather low watts. 28 watts on .4 ohm dual paralell coils, for 3.5 volts, in my Bellus. On the off chance that that plays a role in how I'm perceiving this flavor.

It's a nice light cakiness, just the right amount of sweetness. When I bring my mod up to my face in preparation for taking a vape, the smell that wafts up from the mouthpiece of my Bellus smells just like a Hostess Blueberry Muffin (a treat I loved as a child). You get a hint of blueberry on the inhale, and it's present in just the right amount (for me at least) on the exhale. For me, at least, this very strongly matches the taste of a Hostess Blueberry Muffin. It's so close that I don't feel much if any need to keep experimenting. It's a keeper, but I'd love to hear suggestions or comments if anyone gets around to trying it!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds good! Thanks for sharing!

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Do you think wild blueberry would work instead of extra

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I really don't know, BB Extra is the only BB I have, and I'm only just starting to play around with it. BB Extra seems to be a pretty natural BB flavor, not candy-like. Better for bakery-type recipes. So if Wild Blueberry is similar I'm sure it could work. I'd certainly give it a try. According to ELR it has the same median % in mixes as BB Extra (which is how I chose 5% to start with), so maybe try 5% as well?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I used the Blueberry Wild at 4% in my Blueberry Muffins Recipe and it wasn't quite enough so I added 2% CAP Blueberry.
Then it was a bit too much and covered up the Muffin part.
So my second batch I used 5% Wild but it's still steeping.
Kind-of a fine line between not enough, and too much.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SoXsqEb.jpg

I'm trying to get in the habit of posting more of the recipes I come up with, and this one seems like a particularly good candidate. I'm typically quite a tinkerer, never particularly satisfied, but this one seems pretty good first try. Also shake and vape, as time "steeping" typically stretches the bounds of my patience.

FA Nonna Cake 2.5%
FW Yellow Cake .5%
TFA GC Cheesecake .75%
FA Meringue .5%
TFA Blueberry Extra 5%
TFA Sweet Cream 1%

Also wanted to say that I'm vaping this at rather low watts. 28 watts on .4 ohm dual paralell coils, for 3.5 volts, in my Bellus. On the off chance that that plays a role in how I'm perceiving this flavor.

It's a nice light cakiness, just the right amount of sweetness. When I bring my mod up to my face in preparation for taking a vape, the smell that wafts up from the mouthpiece of my Bellus smells just like a Hostess Blueberry Muffin (a treat I loved as a child). You get a hint of blueberry on the inhale, and it's present in just the right amount (for me at least) on the exhale. For me, at least, this very strongly matches the taste of a Hostess Blueberry Muffin. It's so close that I don't feel much if any need to keep experimenting. It's a keeper, but I'd love to hear suggestions or comments if anyone gets around to trying it!

I'm familiar with everything in your cake base except the Nonna Cake, and going from that & what I've been reading about NC's intensity, I bet this cake base is light yet not too dry & moist as you describe, despite fairly low percentages. I love it when that happens--gives me a sense of efficiency or something. This is definitely going on my to-do list. Thanks for posting it!

sandduner8

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wow this is a must try thanks for recipe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I used the Blueberry Wild at 4% in my Blueberry Muffins Recipe and it wasn't quite enough so I added 2% CAP Blueberry.
Then it was a bit too much and covered up the Muffin part.
So my second batch I used 5% Wild but it's still steeping.
Kind-of a fine line between not enough, and too much.
Yeah I really don't like caps blueberry it is to artificial and I think I used 8% wild in a mix I like so maybe I'll start around 6% and go from there.
Thanks for the advice heabob.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm familiar with everything in your cake base except the Nonna Cake, and going from that & what I've been reading about NC's intensity, I bet this cake base is light yet not too dry & moist as you describe, despite fairly low percentages. I love it when that happens--gives me a sense of efficiency or something. This is definitely going on my to-do list. Thanks for posting it!

Ya, it's a somewhat delicate/light flavor, definitely not "in your face." I would say that someone who's generally happy with @HeadInClouds recipes would be fine with these percentages. For me, sometimes his percentages are fine, but often I want to increase them. And yet this recipe does it for me. It's a light cakiness, with a definite blueberry that blends in well. The blueberry kind of pops up in your perception here and there, on the inhale and exhale.

Honestly, both Nonna Cake and Yellow Cake are new flavors for me, and I'm still playing around with them. Nonna has a definite "pine nuts" spiciness to it, which took me about a tank's worth of standalone to get used to, but I'm liking it. Yellow cake is a much more conventional, well, yellow cake kind of flavor. But it's a bit too sweet for me in higher percentages. It's like a milder CAP Cake Batter, which is something I only use in small percentages. Again, I'm in the very early stages of learning these flavors, but I'm thinking a 4/1 or 5/1 Nonna/Yellow cake works for a really nice light cakiness. Nothing too cloying. Delicate, not too sweet. With the added benefit of not using too much Yellow Cake, whose sucrose or whatever it is seems to be less than ideal at higher percentages.

As somebody that has a little vape business in central Mexico, which caters mainly to expats, old folks who are trying to quit cigarettes after decades of use, but also some younger people and Mexicans as well, I'm hugely curious about how people perceive the flavors they vape (obviously, this forum has been such an amazing resource).

Like, for instance, I'm currently using NicSelect nicotine from ECX. It has a strong smell, which I don't like, but seems smooth enough when vaped (I'm about to use the rest of it, and have a liter of NicSelect from Nicotine River in the freezer I'll be switching over to). So, if I haven't vaped for a half an hour or so, it takes 5 or so vapes for this flavor to smooth out and really come through. It makes me wonder if that's normal, or if nic from like Vaperstek would eliminate those first couple "harsher" vapes (though I've read some perspectives here that VT nic is mainly hype). There's just so much to learn and experiment with. So many variables! :idea:

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just in case anyone was curious how strawberry would work in this, I subbed the BB Extra for 3% FA Strawberry. I have to say, while it's not bad or anything, it's nothing special at all. All the other ingredients seem to mute the strawberry, and the strawberry seems to mute all the others. None of the delicate cakiness I got with the BB Extra mix.

Admittedly, my strawberry mojo is pretty weak. All I have is FA Strawberry (and also INW Wild Strawberry, which seems like an abortion of a flavor), and I've read plenty of people saying that to get a good strawberry requires mixing the offerings of several brands.

I'll do a few more experiments subbing BB Extra for other fruits. I was hoping that this recipe sans BB Extra would work well for an all purpose cakey base, but, at least with 3% FA Strawberry, that's not the case.

VU Sponsors