Become a Patron!

How Do I determine the lowest resistance I should use?

Yiffel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've heard some stories about batteries exploding due to ridiculously low ohm resistances. Should I be looking at how many Amps the battery is rated for or what?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok, I'll bite.

What mod/battery/topper are you using?
Where did you get it?
What is your goal?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Like the Bird said,

What are you wanting out of your gear and what do you already have?

Or you could just get a regulated device with a decent and reasonably priced battery and charger if needed and not worry so much about it.

Yiffel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No, I don't currently have the gear thats why I'm asking, What I want to know is how can I know based on the numbers, what is dangerous and what is safe. Do I need a certain battery in order to be safe with an unregulated, parallel box mod (with a mosfet). I'm going to be building it myself, and I want to get the right battery and build the right coil so I don't end up getting shrapnel stuck in my face.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Do you have any experience with vaping?

Yiffel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I've been vaping on a pen and I want to build my own mod because I'm an electronics geek and i'm pretty good at soldering and whatnot.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Then I will step aside and wait for the mech users to stop by and help you with your project.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
You should be using high drain safe tech IMR 18650's 30 amp continuous would be best.
Do not fall for the pulse rating because that is a 1 to 5 second (depending on the battery company) burst rating.
A box mod with 2 batteries is always best because it gives you twice the battery life and less stress on the batteries.
I wouldn't suggest building coils below 0.2 ohms.

Yiffel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You should be using high drain safe tech IMR 18650's 30 amp continuous would be best.
Do not fall for the pulse rating because that is a 1 to 5 second (depending on the battery company) burst rating.
A box mod with 2 batteries is always best because it gives you twice the battery life and less stress on the batteries.
I wouldn't suggest building coils below 0.2 ohms.
Thank you very much for the quick response! This is very helpful information. and Yeah my plan is to stay away from sub ohm vaping... at least at first.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its very simple, don't exceed the max continuous current rating on the battery(ies) you are using. Say for example, I want to build a parallel battery box mod. Just a switch, a BIG switch, and 2 LG HE2 batteries. They are reputable 20 amp max batteries. While drawing 20 amps per battery they will not supply 4.2 volts. Maybe like ~3.7 a second or 2 into the first vape. After that a little less. If I plug these values into Ohms law, I come up with a ridiculous .0925 ohms. This would be worst case. The problem with this is there would be voltage drop through the mod, and the switch. So you would'nt be getting quite as much power as we would expect, but it would still be lots. The biggest issue would be shorting the output. This is where some get into trouble with these Mechs. Also running a super low sub ohm build on a single battery that cant keep up. Like one of those overly inflated batteries we see all over. I think you'd be better off running a .2 to a .3 ohm build on a Siegelli 150.

VU Sponsors