Become a Patron!

How Does The Flavoring Fit?

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
A lot of flavours don't say if they're PG or VG or what they are. If I'm making 80/20 juice do I just calculate the ratio neglecting the flavor.
Say I use 20% flavor, unless the flavor is 100% PG based I would never get an actual 80/20 juice. If it was water, say, I would have 20% water and if the remainder was 80/20 I would get 80% of 80% + 20% of 80% or 20/64/16 water/VG/PG.
I'm confused.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*Most* flavors are in PG, unless they're specifically described as being in some other media -- usually VG. If they're in anything else, they're not suitable for vaping. It's safe to figure your flavors as 100% PG; if they were VG, it would say so, and they'd also usually be more costly.

Andria

VaporCat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pure grain alcohol and triacetin are also acceptable carriers for vape-friendly flavorings. An easy way to test what sort of carrier a flavoring uses is to weigh some of it. Weigh 10ml of flavoring and divide the result by 10. If you get a number less than 1 gram, its likely PGA/triacetin. Around 1.0-1.1 grams is PG, and anything around 1.2 grams or above is VG. Some flavorings can use a combination of carriers.

If you use a recipe calculator, the volume (or specific gravity if you mix by weight) of the flavoring and its PG/VG ratio is taken into account in order to bring the final PG/VG percentage as close to the desired ratio as possible.

VU Sponsors