HyperX Clutch Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
In 2022, there’s no shortage of controller options when it comes to mobile and cloud gaming. Whether you prefer a full-featured mobile phone controller or want a smaller phone attachment like the Backbone One, there’s something to meet any player’s needs. The HyperX Clutch is designed specifically for Android devices and features an all-day battery life paired with a dual-purpose phone clip that lets you play with your phone attached or used as a stand for tabletop mode. With support for wired or wireless PC gaming, as well, this controller offers more than meets the eye.

HyperX Clutch – Design and Features​

The HyperX Clutch adopts an Xbox-style layout with familiar offset thumbsticks and a traditional layout of face buttons. It features a D-pad below the left thumbstick, two shoulder buttons, and dual analog triggers. In the center of the controller are the Start and Select buttons, as well as an optional Turbo and Clear button. Rounding out the face of the controller is a circular Home button which mainly serves as a way to wake the controller from sleep or put it into a Bluetooth pairing mode. At the base of the controller, there’s a small switch to toggle between its USB, wireless, or Bluetooth connectivity modes. Two rubberized grips adorn the controller’s stems to provide comfort and security while gaming.

Internally, the HyperX Clutch features a rechargeable 600mAh lithium-ion battery capable of delivering up to 19 hours of continuous playtime on a single charge. Included in the box is a nearly 12-foot-long USB-C cable for recharging or connecting to your PC for wired gameplay. During my testing, I found the battery life to be more than enough to get you through an entire day of gaming on the go.

In terms of connectivity, the HyperX Clutch is designed for Android phones and tablets as well as PC. The lack of iOS support is definitely noticeable here, as it severely limits the amount of potential devices this controller can be used with. On the mobile side of things, you can connect via Bluetooth which offers great wireless play with low latency, while on PC you’ll need to connect either via USB-C cable or with the included 2.4GHz wireless adapter. All of these options provided seamless plug-and-play capability with no discernable input delay, making this a good option if you’re looking for a controller with dual capabilities. Interestingly though, the controller couldn’t be used over Bluetooth with a PC, so you’ll need to use the USB adapter if you intend to play wirelessly on your computer.

The HyperX Clutch’s mobile phone clip was one of the more interesting aspects of this controller for me, as odd as that may sound. It’s attached by inserting the base of it into a slot on the top of the controller, making it feel like more of an intentional part of the controller, as opposed to being an afterthought. Inserting it into the top of the controller reminded me of inserting cartridges into a Game Boy, complete with a satisfying click at the end. Once connected, it feels extremely secure and features a sturdy, folding hinge with an expandable section to accommodate just about any size phone.

My only gripe is the singular viewing angle for your device, which is set at about a 45-degree angle. While this never posed any issues per se, having the option to adjust it – even slightly – would have been nice, in order to adjust your grip and viewing angle to reduce fatigue while playing. When you’re finished playing, you can fold the mobile clip down across the face of the controller, or remove it completely by pulling it out of the slot. And, there’s even a passthrough to charge the controller while playing, ensuring you never miss a moment. If you’d rather play with your phone detached, the mobile clip folds up into a small stand for tabletop play that can even support the weight of a large tablet.

HyperX Clutch – Gaming​

I spent most of my time with the HyperX Clutch testing out mobile and cloud-streaming games, while also taking it for a spin on PC. As a mobile controller, it offers a great experience. The thumbsticks are snappy and responsive and feature a hard textured grip to keep your fingers in place. I found the size to be just right, coming in at roughly the same size as an Xbox Series X|S controller, if not just slightly smaller. The lightweight plastic design is common amongst mobile game controllers, as you have to factor in the added weight of your phone, which can cause fatigue after long sessions. I did find the controller to be more top-heavy with the phone attached, but that’s to be expected. Having the option to adjust the phone’s viewing angle would’ve been a welcome addition here to offset some of the weight, though. On the flip side, because the phone is locked into a single viewing angle, it felt extremely sturdy in the mobile clip, making this a reliable option if you intend to play during a bumpy commute.

I tested a variety of games, from shooters like Halo Infinite to platformers like Hollow Knight, and was generally pleased with the results. In a fast-paced game like Halo Infinite, I found the controller to be extremely responsive. The shape of the analog triggers feature an angled protrusion at the end designed to keep your fingers in place while playing, which made pressing them quite easy. The triggers themselves are fast and clicky, with just a small amount of resistance. The shoulder buttons just above are relatively small and easy to press, as well, but I found the tips of my fingers frequently hitting the edge of the mobile controller clip when inserted – a minor annoyance.

In something like Hollow Knight, I relied heavily on the D-pad, which feels great to use. It’s got a slightly concave design with a firm press on all four directions. I did find quick sliding movements across the D-pad didn’t register at times which was frustrating, but slightly lifting my thumb each time before pressing a different direction remedied the issue.

One minor note worth mentioning is that the Turbo and Clear buttons never seemed to work properly. This may be in part to there being literally no mention of them in the included instruction manual and thus not being activated correctly, or they just simply don’t work as intended. If you’re a die-hard Turbo button fan, this controller may not be for you.

Using the HyperX Clutch on PC was seamless. I tested both wired and wireless using the included 2.4GHz USB adapter, and both offered the same low-latency experience. I spent most of my time planet-hopping in Destiny 2 and found the controller to be responsive for just about any activity. However, being slightly smaller and lighter than most standard controllers made me long for something more substantial, as this very much has that “mobile game controller” feel. I was surprised to find built-in rumble when playing on PC, however. That said, if you’re planning to use this primarily as a PC controller, I’d recommend just springing the extra $10 and picking up the official Xbox controller as it’s better in just about every way.

Purchasing Guide​

The HyperX Clutch can be purchased directly from HyperX or Amazon for an MSRP of $49.99.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors