Ian McDiarmid Says a Palpatine Prequel Series Would Be 'Very Interesting'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Star Wars legend Ian McDiarmid likes the idea of a Palpatine prequel series.

During a panel at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, California, the actor was asked about rumors of an Emperor Palpatine series starring Tom Hiddleston (prompted by fanart that circulated a few years ago).

“I think it’s a very good rumor,” he said. “I think you could do that with practically any of the characters to whom it has not been done already. We saw [Palpatine] rise when he was 50, didn’t we? What did he go through to get there, and how did Sidious come about? I think all of that is very interesting, and no doubt there are people as we speak somewhere around this city thinking along those lines. It would be great.”

Of course, this is just McDiarmid speculating, probably. But if this ever came to pass, this wouldn’t be the first Star Wars prequel series to head to Disney+.

The upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi series takes place in between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, with the Jedi master hiding out on the desert planet Tatooine following Order 66.

Additionally, Andor will tell the story of Cassian Andor five years before the events of Rogue One.

Would McDiarmid consider returning to his iconic role if such a prequel ever was made?

“Anyone younger than 78 is probably more suited to the part than me,” he said. “And here comes the qualifying bit: although, have you seen what they can do with faces? I’d better leave it at that.”

Considering the furor surrounding digitally de-aged characters, I can’t help thinking that a young Palpatine played by McDiarmid himself would be a bit of a misfire...especially after the less-than-satisfying return of the Emperor in The Rise of Skywalker.

Either way, it looks as though a Palpatine prequel might be a bit of a pipe dream for now… and I can’t help thinking that’s definitely a good thing.

A new Andor teaser trailer was released earlier today, giving us our first glimpse at the upcoming Star Wars series. Additionally, The Mandalorian Season 3 was confirmed and will debut on Disney+ in 2023.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors