Become a Patron!

If you could start vaping allover again, what would you start with?

taylorwilkes1990

Unlisted Vendor
Hi, new to this forum & new to vaping. I'm looking to start with the best kit available for a beginner but i wanted to know the things i need to buy, like a vape kit, juice any extras that will be useful, so my question really is, for you experienced vapers, if you started again what would you buy, now you have the knowledge you have?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd definitely get into building coils as fast as possible. Really easy and a lot cheaper than drop in coils. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube for basic coils. I'd start with a nice regulated mod that can do a few options. Vv/vw, tc, bypass. That way as you progress you mod doesn't have to change for each feature or new learning curve you find.

Sent from a pile of wood chips

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I would start the same way I did because it worked. But I would move to rebuildables sooner than I did.
The thing about rebuildables is, you can customize your vape much much more than using more expensive factory coil heads. Even if you buy premade coils instead of coil heads.
There are so many devices on the market. there's no 'best' kit for starters. And usually kits aren't the best way to buy, unless it's something like a pod kit or AIO(all-in-one). If not, then mod + atomizer.
It's better for you to decide what features you want, how you want it to vape, then narrow the choices to achieve that.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Knowing what I know now, I would I either
A). Find a pod I liked and stick with it, not looking at anything else at all
B) buy the best mechanical mod I could afford, learn to build and get a good mtl tank
C) buy a decent, durable Mech for the future and the best variable wattage mod I could find. Also pick up a good durable mtl tank and a good durable dtl tank as well as a good rda.(asingle and dual coil)
I would buy thinking long term and cover all bases in case products were Wally disappear off the market. I would also focus on stuff I enjoy (dual coil big air) and things that are a little more conservative on juice consumption in the event that prices skyrocket on liquid or diy supplies.
As it is things will start getting harder to find in the future. I would thing longevity and durability over newest and coolest. Ie hexohms are built to last, and far more durable than the dna mods out right now. (And I’m huge dna fanboy)

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I started with a triple battery regulated mod and a 25mm RDA with a pair of handbuilt Ni80 fused clapton coils at 80 watts, and, I got into complex coil building within only weeks after. But vaping instead of smoking does take some getting used to, despite it didn't make me cough. Using a regulated mod for this abrupt change was a smart move for a variety of reasons. Jumping head first into unregulated or mech would have simply been too much for me to learn at once. Instead, I was focussing on learning first things first: to not overdrip, to not get dry hits, to vape long enough beforehand as to avoid cravings, to count drops of nic-free juice straight on top of the coils after dripping the 6mg always first as to kill the harshness from the juice containing too much nic─especially the first couple of hits in the morning were harsh as if part of the nic had risen up into the coils overnight─as well as to temporarily lower the nic strength to be able to continue to chain vape and not get nic sick as a result, and to properly rewick an RDA, and and and...

Thing is, I never was a dual user so I managed to completely avoid the struggle commonly associated with smoking normal cigarettes between vaping sessions. Immediately from the get go, I knew that not everyone is capable to do the same, but I also had a gut feeling that one major important reason why I did succeed at skipping the gradual transition stage from smoking to not smoking was because I made the right choice with what appeared to me like an excellent way to start. I never could get a satisfying vape out of a low or medium powered setup. This, then, confirms that my choice for me was right. I got my first mech within only some months after, and, I haven't vaped on a regulated mod in a long while. I am certain that I could teach someone how to start with a mech right off the bat, if this someone had the patience, handiness, sense of responsibility, and willingness to learn. But I didn't have the privilege of receiving that much help when I started. Else, knowing what I know now, I would definitely have chosen a mech to start. Then again, you don't know something until you know, so... not sure how I could have felt confident enough about the competence of my teacher if there had been such a teacher available. Having to teach most of it to myself was pretty much inevitable because the knowledge that I know now doesn't exactly come falling off a tree. At least not IME, unfortunately, it didn't.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm going to get specific, because time is not on your side, and stuff could disappear soon. It's a weird time to be starting to vape.

I'd buy at least two Voopoo Drag X units, at least a half dozen packs of Voopoo PNP coils (I like the VM1 coils at 0.3 ohms), at least four Voopoo RTA Pods for Drag X and Drag S, some 26 or 28 gauge stainless steel wire, and a few tools to help you build coils. Oh, and about a half dozen Molicel P26A batteries and a two-bay quality external battery charger. This gives you stuff to start vaping right away with the intent of learning very soon how to build a simple coil to use in the RTA Pod once you can't buy the PNP coils any more.

While you're at it, see if you can find two Geekvape Athena kits. Those are mechanical squonkers that use the same size batteries as the Drag X. In the event that your Drag Xs stop working, you'll have a couple of mechanical and virtually indestructible devices to fall back on.

You have to make your own call on e-liquid because everybody's tastes are different. Some of the more popular flavors around here are Dinner Lady Lemon Tart, The Sauce LA's Caramel Waffle Cappuccino, Beard Vape's "The One" series that are doughnuts with different fruit flavors, just to name a few. When you find one you like, buy a lot of it, because pre-mixed e-liquid is going away also. When that runs out, come see us at the Daily Mixing Thread so we can teach you how to mix your own e-liquid.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
While you're at it, see if you can find two Geekvape Athena kits. Those are mechanical squonkers that use the same size batteries as the Drag X. In the event that your Drag Xs stop working, you'll have a couple of mechanical and virtually indestructible devices to fall back on.

Yes, I like my Coppervape mods. That aside, I have to agree the Geekvape Athena mods would be what I would reach for next as a mechanical squonker. They are very sturdy and I like how the lock mechanism functions on them.

The only issue, if you want to call it that, I have with them is user error based. I over squonk with them. I over squonk with most silicone bottles though it seems. Used to using the PET bottles and reckon I don't use a lighter touch. I can learn though. :)

And yes, thank you again for sending me one. :)

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’d learn to be more critical of random people on a forum I like.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I’d learn to be more critical of random people on a forum I like.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point taken. Thank you.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi, new to this forum & new to vaping. I'm looking to start with the best kit available for a beginner but i wanted to know the things i need to buy, like a vape kit, juice any extras that will be useful, so my question really is, for you experienced vapers, if you started again what would you buy, now you have the knowledge you have?

nice topic! a big tank with plenty of plumage like I did last time only way worked for me to give up smoking...granted my tastes have changed over the years for the most part.....other than that happy with the journey I took, was exciting for a time until complete saturation stepped in with the release train

if it were just pods and mtl I’d never have given up ...long live free choice!

Last edited:

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If I could start over and only buy one kit, it would be an Odin mini and a Profile Unity.
But for a beginner it would be an Odin 100 and a Destiny....

VU Sponsors