Become a Patron!

Ijoy RDTA 5 Review By DeucesJack

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Full Disclosure:

Let’s get all the disclosures out of the way. This tank was sent to me directly from Ijoy specifically for the purposes of this review. This will not in any way, shape, or form cause me to give this mod a favorable review or change my opinion in any way.
0bf5cf54740f1d552b6120e99455c289.jpg

First Impression Out Of The Box:

Wooh, this is a big boy tank. That chuff cap is just massive and made out of resin. The top cap has some hardcore knurling on it. Nice size deck with a huge fill port. I can already tell this one is going to be a cloud chucker.

What’s In The box:

Along with your RDTA 5 tank you will also receive one resin drip tip, spare o'rings, spare post screws, coils, cotton, spare glass, screwdriver, and a single coil plug. I’m a little disappointed that there is no 510 drip tip adapter or at the very least a taller style chuff cap. I joy is definitely getting a con for that.
ac8a25d9c4ec5dffa9d171fdce9ef122.jpg

From Top To Bottom:

As usual we will start off at the top and work our way down. The resin chuff is absolutely beautiful. It gives the tank that hardcore vapor look and allows the user to take full advantage of the wide open airflow of this tank. There is a little nub that protrudes from the top cap with dual o'rings. This is where the drip tip slides on to. The chuff cap is wide and short. If you like that style then you will love this one but if the short, fat drip tips are not your thing then it may be a problem. Personally, I would have preferred something taller or at least the option to use a taller drip tip.

The top cap has dual o'rings and five side flow air holes that are adjustable. On the black model the airflow slots are tough to see as to whether they are opened or closed. I Just take the cap off and adjust it, it's just easier. Maybe the silver version is easier to see in that respect. In the middle interior of the top cap there is a plug that seals the fill port with a rubber gasket on it. It also doubles as a spit back protection guard. I know a lot of vapers think that juice residue gets hung up on these things and spits hot juice into their mouths but I can honestly say that has not been my experience at all. Knurling on the top cap is solid as well.

The sleeve of the 5 is where the bottom airflow is located. The bottom airflow is fully adjustable. The sleeve attaches to the mid section by sliding onto two o'rings. All of the parts of this tank are well machined and the moving parts all have just the right tolerances. The mid section where the sleeve attaches to is held in place by a phillips head screw. Kind of a pain in the neck because every time you build or rewick you have to remove this screw to access the deck. Truth be told I expect more from Ijoy, this section should have been either screwed on or held on by o'rings. This is probably the only part of the tank that is not really well thought out. Not only is the screw a pain to remove but it's so tiny that it's just too easy to lose.

Next we have the deck. It’s a dual post velocity styled deck with top and side mounted phillips screws to secure your leads. In between the post is a pretty large fill port that will accommodate all types of bottles. Located directly under the coil is the bottom airflow. The deck has stainless steel wicking channels that flow all the way down to the bottom of the pyrex glass sectio. The glass is secured to the base of the tank with two o'rings. The deck, base, and glass all come apart and my contacts at Ijoy tell me that other decks will be made available for the 5.
ad7b8578758757cc7449dc7634d02045.jpg
8d9d1841b10e1231b7af3884c611c8c7.jpg

Building And Wicking:

Building the 5 is pretty straightforward, you build it just like you would any RDTA with a Velocity styled deck. The wicking is where it gets a little tricky. Most RDTA’s have a midsection that unscrews. Not the 5, on this tank there is a small screw that you have to remove in order to get access to the whole deck. If you do not do this you will not be able to wick the 5 properly because of the metal wicking channels. At first I used a .35mm ID coil and to be honest it was just a little too big. Not to big for the deck but the cotton was too thick and it really did not wick efficiently. I probably could have thinned out the tails to remedy this but i decided to go with a different sized coil instead. So I changed it to a .3mm ID coil and the 5 wicks much better now. So my suggestion is to run coils no bigger than .3mm otherwise you run the risk of dry hits. If you are going to run bigger coils make sure you really thin out those wicks.

The wicks need to be kind of long because the wicking channels are actually long. I cut my wicks just below the top of the glass. You should be able to see the bottom of your wicks peaking out the top of the glass.

But Deuces, How Does She Vape:

I have to say that the 5 is surprisingly versatile as far as RDTA’s go. It can go from an absolute Cloud Beast to a really good flavor tank with just a few minor adjustments. If I want to cloud up the room I just have to crank up the wattage and open everything up. Do that and you are chucking massive clouds. If I want flavor I turn down the wattage, shut down the side airflow and just run the bottom airflow halfway open. Welcome to flavortown. If I want both I run both side and bottom airflow half open and I really do get the best of both worlds. Very impressive and very versatile.

Right now I am running dual SS Tiger coils. I am ohming out at .2 ohms in wattage mode at 65 watts. I have one airflow hole on the side open and the bottom airflow is half open. I get great flavor and clouds. The vape is nice and thick as well. While chain vaping the chuff cap can get hot and I really do wish they would have included a taller chuff cap.

Conclusion:

In my opinion this is Ijoys best RDTA yet. Yes it does have a few cons but the pros far outweigh them. I like the flavor. I like the clouds. I love the versatility of this tank. If you like the Ijoy RDTA’s then the 5 is a must have. If you never had and RDTA before then this is a great one to start with. Ijoy did a great job on this one and the 5 is DeucesJack approved.

If you found this review helpful please feel free to leave a comment, give it a like, and give me a follow. If you are a Vendor and would like a DeucesJack Review please PM me on this forum.

Pros and Cons:

A note about Pros and Cons. These are my Pros and Cons. They are very subjective. What may be a pro to me could be a con to you and vice versa.

Pros:

* Build quality
* Resin Chuff cap
* Huge fill port
* Multiple decks available
* Side and bottom airflow
* Looks
* Dual or single coil mode
* Versatility
* Vape quality

Cons:

* Only one drip tip
* Mid section screw
* Rewicking is harder than it needs to be

Specs:

* Dimensions: 53mm x 25mm
* Diameter: 25mm
* Gold Plated 510 Contact Pin
* 4ml Capacity
* Innovative Top Fill System
* Dual Post Velocity Style Build Deck
* Multiple Airflow Control System
* Adjustable Bottom Airflow Control Ring
* Adjustable Side Airflow Control Ring
* Stainless Steel Construction
* Glass Tank
* Unique Resin Wide Bore Drip Tip
* Includes Single Coil Block

The Tank On Different Mods:

On The Sx Mini G Class
31d5cc23312af8d36c2d52a120b06df6.jpg

On The Craving Vapor Hexohm
36b9c82a59513cdb03171a8e5cb48137.jpg

On The Lost Vape Triade
a4ff2ecfc85a6646994de8ed1831132c.jpg

On The Vaporesso Nebula
ccf0fd998dc7dccb0f8eff462932bb1c.jpg

***If you found this review helpful please feel free to give it a like and follow me on this forum. If you are a Vendor and would like a DeucesJack review please feel free to PM me on this forum. ***

Next up and in the queue in no particular order.

Augvape Druga
Augvape Merlin RDTA
Vandyvape Icon

Stay tuned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm an Ijoy fan, but this rdta seems awful tall for only having 4ml capacity. Can you do a side by side picture with other rdta's or rta's (of similar size/capacity).

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm an Ijoy fan, but this rdta seems awful tall for only having 4ml capacity. Can you do a side by side picture with other rdta's or rta's (of similar size/capacity).

I can't right now because I'm at my girls place for the weekend. I will once I get back to my place. To be honest though it's no taller than an Ammit or an Aromamizer Supreme.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Have to agree with you there Johnny also the build deck looks like a city skyline loads going on there:confused:

DJ thanks for the review :) in the 2nd and 3rd para you were talking about taking the top off and not being able to see the holes, also that Philips screw problem would it be ok to edit and update with some pics of these things? Found it difficult to locate where you were talking about on the pics provided

noticed you mention 3mm coil being biggest you would chuck in there how much space is there between the wicking holes mate out of interest just wondering how many wraps/type of coil I could run in here :)

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Have to agree with you there Johnny also the build deck looks like a city skyline loads going on there:confused:

DJ thanks for the review :) in the 2nd and 3rd para you were talking about taking the top off and not being able to see the holes, also that Philips screw problem would it be ok to edit and update with some pics of these things? Found it difficult to locate where you were talking about on the pics provided

noticed you mention 3mm coil being biggest you would chuck in there how much space is there between the wicking holes mate out of interest just wondering how many wraps/type of coil I could run in here :)
I was talking about adjusting the five side airflow slots. It's very hard to see if they are open or closed while the top cap is on the sleeve. Here's Ijoys pics of the screw that holds the mid section. For the record though the deck looks a lot busier than it really is. It's really not complicated at all.

9802a280bae5f115bfc96cd0094b5610.jpg

Here are the ones that were a little too big.

3dbf2c3b15a67a09b135a638a72265d7.jpg

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I was talking about adjusting the five side airflow slots. It's very hard to see if they are open or closed while the top cap is on the sleeve. Here's Ijoys pics of the screw that holds the mid section. For the record though the deck looks a lot busier than it really is. It's really not complicated at all.

9802a280bae5f115bfc96cd0094b5610.jpg

Here are the ones that were a little too big.

3dbf2c3b15a67a09b135a638a72265d7.jpg

Thanks mate awesome :) Agree that screw is a big fail they could have had a twist and lock mechanism or something

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great review, Jack. Looks like IJoy is really upping their game.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great review, Jack. Looks like IJoy is really upping their game.
For sure I own both the Limitless Plus and the Limitless and they had a tinny feel to them. This atomizer is nothing but quality. It's much more substantial.

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice review thanks! Whats the diameter of the build deck?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
For sure I own both the Limitless Plus and the Limitless and they had a tinny feel to them. This atomizer is nothing but quality. It's much more substantial.

Looks like I'll be getting some new IJoy products in the not too distant future.:)

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great review bud! I own and use my Combo Tank daily. This is on a whole nother level. I'm with you on the phillips screws for sure though. I don't see the 3mm limit on coil size a problem though as that's the size coils I use anyways. I may seriously have to get my hands on one of these!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great review bud! I own and use my Combo Tank daily. This is on a whole nother level. I'm with you on the phillips screws for sure though. I don't see the 3mm limit on coil size a problem though as that's the size coils I use anyways. I may seriously have to get my hands on one of these!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
Thx man. Yeah it's got a few minor issues but the build quality on this thing is next level compared to other Ijoy tanks.

Argie3

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for taking the time to provide This, admittedly, valuable feedback!
For sure I am placing an order for this bad boy and as long as it is an upgrade of the limitless plus, then it can only be a great attie.

Thanks once again for the through review and im pretty sure that the v2, once launched, will rectify the drip tip and the mid section screw... after all this is ijoy's policy!!!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for taking the time to provide This, admittedly, valuable feedback!
For sure I am placing an order for this bad boy and as long as it is an upgrade of the limitless plus, then it can only be a great attie.

Thanks once again for the through review and im pretty sure that the v2, once launched, will rectify the drip tip and the mid section screw... after all this is ijoy's policy!!!
Absolutely, Ijoy has been great at listening to customer feedback.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Little update:

The fill port needs to be used with a juice bottle that has and extended type of needle tip or a bull nose type of nozzle. If it is the short needle type of tip the juice does not make it into the tank it just fills up the fill port. So it either needs to be a long tip or a wide enough tip to create pressure so the juice goes into the tank. Droppers work fine as well.

Hello and thank you for this great review.
I have acquired the Limitless plus, combo, classic edition and Maxo V12 (vaping on this last one these days). I'm interested in this RDTA5 as it is very appealing, but I don't really know if I should buy it now or wait a few months until a revised version comes out. What are your thoughts on that ?

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello and thank you for this great review.
I have acquired the Limitless plus, combo, classic edition and Maxo V12 (vaping on this last one these days). I'm interested in this RDTA5 as it is very appealing, but I don't really know if I should buy it now or wait a few months until a revised version comes out. What are your thoughts on that ?
If you like it buy it now. In the vaping world things come out so fast that if you keep waiting on this or that, you'll constantly be waiting and never actually buying.

If you like it buy it now. In the vaping world things come out so fast that if you keep waiting on this or that, you'll constantly be waiting and never actually buying.

I agree. But I think I'll wait though, I need to test the Maxo v12 rebuildable deck on the long run (probably for a month) and after that consider buying a new atty. I like ijoy's RDTAs, so maybe the next version will come out before I'm through with the Maxo. Anyways, thanks & cheers ! :wave:

For those who'd like a taller mouth piece, if you own a limitless classic, the drip tip fits into the 5's mouth piece and actually looks sort of decent. I'd guess it would work with a combo since it and the classic share many features but I can't confirm.

GBusafvet95

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I received mine the other week and have been using it almost exclusively.
I really, really like it!

I agree on the shorty tip though. Would be nice to have a longer one ( that's what she said, but not to me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors