Become a Patron!

I'm new to rebuildables. Coils just don't give off flavor.

First of all, I apologies for a new no flavor thread but couldn't really find a suitable answer to what I have. Also, sorry for possible mistakes, English isn't my first language.
So basically I bought an RBA for my Smoant Knight 80 and got a fused clapton coil (0.6 ohms) installed. However, even after soaking the cotton for a night resulted in barely any taste as compared to a factory pre-built analog (sadly I don't know the right term for it, but I suppose it uses mesh) . Maybe someone can nudge me in the right direction? What am I doing wrong?
Juice is 70/30 VG/PG, 3 mg nic, really distinguishable flavor with the pre-built thing.
Also, is it possible to test a new coil like when you heat it till it's red without a 510 adapter with this pod-mod? I found it quite hard to hold the RBA in the socket without plugging it into the tank.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Looks like if you had a mod w/a 510 you could dry fire that RBA w/ it's included 510 adapter. Otherwise it could be tough w/o another mod. Spacing the coil's wraps helps it fire evenly on its first fire, if you were using a single wire coil, esp SS. W/ something multi strand like clapton you might space it and dry fire it with the power turned down. But just pulse it a few times w/like 10-15w if .6Ω, Could take it out, rake it a few times and pulse it again. Then wick it. This is all based on my assumptions of the device.

Here's the best way to kill multiple birds w/1 stone :p

Get yourself a reg mod and, and another RBA whether its an RDA, RTA, etc. Ohm meter is an option but just spend it on another setup.

Always have a plan B imo.
Man cannot live w/1 vape device alone.:sneaka:

OK, back to the one you have.....coil placement (how high/low or in/out) is a BIG part of achieving the best flavor. Some RBA's are forgiving in that way, but always something I research and consider before a first build. Wicking too. Too much and, it may vape but not getting all the flavor because its choked off from soaking up juice - and that could scorch wick.

I haven't looked around at coil placement for that, but I would take the wick out and rinse everything off. I'd Space the coil, and mount it centered over the airflow and pretty darn close the the bottom. Then dry fire it like said, being careful not to overdue the heat.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Can you see the coil with the drip tip off?
Pics of what you've done tell a big tale.

Can you see the coil with the drip tip off?
Pics of what you've done tell a big tale.
Hey, thanks for such a detailed response. I've got some pictures as you asked. The coil seems to be well centered and clean, and I can actually see the coil with the tip off. So I tried to adjust it at least a little, though, I can't really dry fire it now as I don't have the adapter (Knight requires a block that takes place of the tank so that one can put on RTA/RDA) and poured some more juice, but no luck. Bland vapor with only faint taste, first I thought the juice is just too thick, but I also used 50/50, same stuff :(

Attachments

• photo_2022-04-16_21-07-54.jpg
    photo_2022-04-16_21-07-54.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 12
  • photo_2022-04-16_21-07-53.jpg
    photo_2022-04-16_21-07-53.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 13
  • photo_2022-04-16_21-07-52.jpg
    photo_2022-04-16_21-07-52.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 12
  • photo_2022-04-16_21-07-51.jpg
    photo_2022-04-16_21-07-51.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 11
  • photo_2022-04-16_21-07-50.jpg
    photo_2022-04-16_21-07-50.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 10

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Coil placement looks alright. It possibly could be lowered a little yet it's suitable as is.

Wicking, you might consider thinning the wick ends out just a bit. Fluff, pull out just a little of the bulk. Yes it's also fairly alright as well.

That said there's a probability thinning the wick might let your juice draw up better, flow better through the coil. That in turn might let the coil heat the juice a bit more so as to help produce more flavor.

Get yourself a reg mod and, and another RBA whether its an RDA, RTA, etc. Ohm meter is an option but just spend it on another setup.

Always have a plan B imo.

Quoted to echo this advice. Not used any real pod mods myself by choice. Prefer regular mods & RDAs. It seems they are less difficult than pod mods appear to be. Still that is only my view. If you like pods, go for them.

Everyone has their own preference/s. Not a thing wrong in that either. As long as we vape instead of use tobacco cigarettes, it's all good.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I can actually see the coil with the tip off. I can't really dry fire it now as I don't have the adapter
So if the RBA is in the empty tank, you cant fire it? If so then that's how you can see there's no hotspots, by looking down in there.

Lowering it past where you got it, you'd need something that would go inside coil, like the short end of an allen wrench maybe, that you could push down on. If you can lower the coil w/o hitting the sidewalls of the RBA then that's what I would try. Probly like 1.5mm maybe 2mm from touching the deck.
Right about here. Or anything lower than where it is, to see if that helps flavor. Worth a try.
1650146725036.png

If there's not enough clearance, remove a wrap if that will do it. Or if the coil is 3mm id, you can put it on a 2.5mm rod if you have one, or a screwdriver a little smaller than the id of the coil and hold one end and pull it tight with the other to shrink it down.
I thought the wicking looked good. Nice drape and looks saturated. Usually when there's a slot for a wicking port, you want it a tad loose because cotton swells, and not to the bottom of the deck so it can also wick from the wicks ends.

Last edited:
Well, even though I have to admit that the vapor is still sorta bland-ish, it definitely improved. The aftertaste is stronger and I for sure feel a little bit of sweetness (perhaps I've gone nuts and just imagining things, lol). I basically did what you guys said, thinned my cotton and lowered the coil (it's almost in the air duct). I'm gonna try vaping it that way probably for a few days, then change it to a .2 coil. For those, who might be interested I'll give my feedback when I change the coil, maybe lower res will help as well.
Thanks a lot for helping me out!

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Does the pod/mod have adjustable airflow? How many watts are you using with that 0.6 coil? Is this your first build ever? (if so you did a good job) That's a small RBA. I'm about to build a similar one for my subtank mini (using simple round wire) How tight is the wick in the coil? When pulled side to side... how much resistance? You don't want it loose but too tight can cut off juice flow (I'm having that issue with my RTA right now... over did it because last time it leaked a bit) Try doing primer puffs (suck air without firing) between vapes... helps saturate the wick. When I have time later, I'll try to find some videos that show the build on your RBA.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I watched the video @Vape Fan posted. So you got the RBA separate and it comes with a 510 adapter?
That's great. I agree that you should try to get another mod (maybe another single 18650) Do you have an external charger? It's really better than just using the USB to charge. An extra battery would also help (charge one while using the other) It's a nice pod/mod. I understand if you are on a low budget (I sure am) Being able to use the 510 adapter on another mod would be great... you can do a "dry burn" and check for hot spots (this also helps you guess how many watts to vape at) Always do the dry burn at lower power and do short pulses. Stick to 70VG/30PG juice should be fine.

Hey, here's a little update and a kind of reply to @VapeOn1960. I swapped the coil to a .3 fused clapton (which is actually .2 but I had to unwrap it a bit) and changed the cotton twice. First time it was too tight, I guess, and know it's a little too loose, so hopefully next time I'll hit the golden middle, buuuut flavor is AWESOME! Of course I could use some more tweaking, but what I have now is already pretty nice. I suppose .6 resistance was too high if not for the juice then for my liking, I also opted for a better type of cotton, which is Cotton Candy instead of the generic one in the bag with the coil.
As much as I want to buy an extra mod, I'm quite short on the money right now, so for now dry firing the coil right inside the tank didn't seem too bad. I also applied a few tricks to the cotton, trimming its ends diagonally and fluffing them. Guess that's all I've done, not sure what exactly but something above helped :)
I vape at about 55.5 - 57.5 watt for .3 and vaped at ~22 watt with .6 coil. Sooner or later I'm gonna buy a thing that takes place of the tank and turns Knight into kinda the real mod, so that I can connect to it a 510 adapter of the RBA or whole another tank. That's gonna be waaay cheaper than buying another mod, at least for now

Last edited:
Does the pod/mod have adjustable airflow? How many watts are you using with that 0.6 coil? Is this your first build ever?
Oh yeah, the pod/mod has adjustable airflow, I usually keep it slightly open. That's my first build for sure. Also, I don't have a charger, just USB. This thing's kinda slow

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good to hear. I would consider getting an extra battery and a charger ASAP.

VU Sponsors