Become a Patron!

Inner diameter explanation

Scott12579

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
2 year vaper looking to get into coil building. So if you use 2mm id or 3mm id what is the difference? Does larger id lower your ohms?

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
check out steam-engine.org they have a coil calculator and you can play with the settings to see what different coil sizes, wire types etc come out as

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It takes more wire to make a larger loop. More wire means more resistance.
When you're using 3 or more parallel strands of 316l in an alien or 12 ply 0.5mm ribbon in a staple this can be a welcomed thing.

The real advantage of going up in ID is that you can fit more wick in it and you have more surface area touching the wick.

As mentioned above steam-engine.org has a basic wire calculator that can tell you the load and heat characteristics of a coil as well as a few other useful bits of info. Wire Wizard will let you build almost any coil and give you the load, surface area, mass and other stuff and can even break the build down and tell you the same stuff for each individual wire.
Edit:
I didn't realize how old this thread was till now.

Scott12579

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It takes more wire to make a larger loop. More wire means more resistance.
When you're using 3 or more parallel strands of 316l in an alien or 12 ply 0.5mm ribbon in a staple this can be a welcomed thing.

The real advantage of going up in ID is that you can fit more wick in it and you have more surface area touching the wick.

As mentioned above steam-engine.org has a basic wire calculator that can tell you the load and heat characteristics of a coil as well as a few other useful bits of info. Wire Wizard will let you build almost any coil and give you the load, surface area, mass and other stuff and can even break the build down and tell you the same stuff for each individual wire.
Edit:
I didn't realize how old this thread was till now.
Thanks i appreciate it. Thats the best explanation ive found.

VU Sponsors