Become a Patron!

Is Ebay saying no to the vaping scene?

wjohnsonjr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So Ebay is on the "lets ban" E-Cigs. We really need to get some control on this issue. I have local smoke shops that is being harassed buy the city they operate in due to this issue. Keep in mind its a smoke shop that sells tobacco products and pipes. They can sell a 3 foot Graffix bong as long as they state it is for tobacco use only. Can someone tell me where the logic is. They have removed fruit/candy flavored e-juices off the shelves for fear it will encourage children to purchase these items. Children are not the intended consumer and you must be over 18 with ID to even enter the shop. Look we haven't been able to stop children from getting their hands on analog cigarettes so why the enforcement on E-Cigerettes. How about the endless resources and money the big tobacco companies have to try to stop the sale of a possible safer alternate to nicotine consumption. Look the studies required by FDA are not being release because the big tobacco companies are paying top dollar to suppress the findings. I am not making the claim vaping is safer because I have not seen any real data to come to that conclusion. I would be willing to bet it is!

But lets speak of what we do know. Approximately 443,000 people die prematurely from smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke each year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 24,518 people died of alcohol, 17,774 died of AIDS, 34,485 died of car accidents, 39,147 died of drug use (legal and illegal), 16,799 died of murder and 36,909 died of suicide in 2013. That brings us to a total of 169,632 deaths, far less than the 430,000 that die from smoking annually. Here is a shocking comparison, World War II, approximately 292,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines were killed in battle during World War II, according to a U.S. Census Bureau April 29, 2004, report in commemoration of the new World War II memorial in Washington, D.C. An additional 114,000 members of U.S. forces died of other causes during the war, bringing the total to 406,000 people. Again less than deaths contributed to smoking. On top of this, another 8.6 million people live with a serious illness caused by smoking. If we are going to make it difficult for one we would have to do same for the tobacco companies that knowingly produces a product that kills so many people. How do they sleep at night? On a very comfortable and expensive pillow. The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. Submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services, tobacco companies reporting this information were:

American Tobacco Company
Brown and Williamson
Liggett Group, Inc.
Philip Morris Inc.
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco

While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 7000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette, many of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic. Carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide and ammonia are all present in cigarette smoke, among many other chemicals. Over 70 known carcinogens are in mainstream smoke, sidestream smoke, or both. E-Juice is composed of Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin, Nicotine, and flavorings. All of these items are approved for consumption by the FDA but they are making the same claim regarding analog cigarettes. They don't know what happens when they are mixed together nor when they are burned. So we ban or restrict E-Cigs but the tobacco companies get a free pass. Or the one I love hearing the most is Propylene Glycol is in antifreeze. Here is what is in your analog cigarettes:

Acetone – found in nail polish remover
Acetic Acid – an ingredient in hair dye
Ammonia – a common household cleaner
Arsenic – used in rat poison
Benzene – found in rubber cement
Butane – used in lighter fluid
Cadmium – active component in battery acid
Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
Hexamine – found in barbecue lighter fluid
Lead – used in batteries
Napthalene – an ingredient in moth balls
Methanol – a main component in rocket fuel
Nicotine – used as insecticide
Tar – material for paving roads
Toluene - used to manufacture paint

The other stink is manufactures of e-juices are making claims that it is a safer alternative to smoking which the FDA says that must stop! The claim is being made without science to support it. I agree with the FDA so lets do the studies! FDA is also requiring proper ingredient labeling on finished products. I also agree with the FDA as a consumer. But that would mean the tobacco companies should have to do the same thing. Guess you won't be able to fit a pack of cigarettes in your pocket anymore! The tobacco companies have flexed their might in the past with other companies that have made such claims. Nicorette gum and patch manufactures were targeted by the tobacco industry. They even went so far as to start producing there own cessession products. Giant Reynolds wanted enter this market only to buy out the competition with a product called Zonnic.

If you have made to this point in my rant, I know what you are saying. Willie you missed the real reason. I assure you I was getting to this. Taxes! Currently e-juices containing nicotine are not taxed. Therefore the city/state/government are not collecting their fair share. I will not go into that any further because it doesn't require me to. I know this is the same argument as supporters of the medicinal Staff Removed drug reference movement. But we are certainly close to purchasing Staff Removed drug reference at our local Cumberland Farms with a tax stamp affixed to the packaging. And you know what? They will be in a pack of ten being sold by RJ Reynolds!

If you are going to comment to this please be constructive and openminded about the issue.

P.S. I just wanted to reiterate that I am not advocating vaping over traditional smoking. As a former smoker I made a choice that I thought would reduce the dangers and risks associated with analog cigarettes. I have been happy with that choice and have remained smoke free. As someone that works with regulatory agencies for both state and government it is your responsibility to do your studies and release the information good or bad to protect the masses. Your silence is creating false conclusions and the interpretation that vaping is a unsafe practice. Vaping and electronic cigarettes is now big business that most likely will surpass some of the big tobacco companies in the near future. The lack of regulatory guidance and controls will allow companies to produce products that could potentially be very harmful. Just like the big tobacco companies have been able to do. I am asking you to do your jobs and protect the public. We pay you to keep us educated and SAFE.

-Willie Johnson

Last edited by a moderator:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Damn!

That is quite a lot to chew on:D

But chew on it I shall when I have a rather large pot of supercharged coffee, a fully filled tank of vape of the moment and some time to really digest all that you have said.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Willie, is this something you sent to our elected officials? the wording of your piece here sounds like it was.

wjohnsonjr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Damn!

That is quite a lot to chew on:D

But chew on it I shall when I have a rather large pot of supercharged coffee, a fully filled tank of vape of the moment and some time to really digest all that you have said.

UncleRJ... I appreciate you taking the time. Please by all means find your best vape and cup of joe and read on. You feed back is welcomed.

Last edited:

wjohnsonjr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Willie, is this something you sent to our elected officials? the wording of your piece here sounds like it was.

No Whiskey I haven't sent it but I do plan to. I live in the wonderful state of Massachusetts. I am also Food Safety Consultant that works with regulators. I am also a proud and healthy vaper. I been off the icky sticks since my birthday in February. Vaping has positively effected my life and given my chosen profession, I believe I can give back. I am working with my local shops that are being harassed by the cities and towns they operate in. Without reliable data from the FDA it is difficult to give a good fight. Honestly I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Until the data is released shops will continue to be run out of business. My guess is restrictions will be set forth without scientific data because I believe this will be big business in the future and what a great way to create revenue in the states thru taxes. There has been talk about taxing mods and batteries that are associate vaping. We really need to start educating ourselves or we might have to go to a dark alley somewhere to purchase e-juice and gear.

wjohnsonjr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you again Whiskey. And I was going to open a online retail thru eBay and one of my friends contacted me and told me they deleted all of his products and then deleted his account. I did send this letter to Ebay and only got a response about their posting polices. But I will be moving forward with my venture. I will be calling it Contrailvapor. I will also use this opportunity to affect more lives and promote a healthier delivery method for nicotine. I will also be working E-liquid manufacturers to the big guys and the DIY guy putting out new lines on proper labelling per CFR 21. As a matter of fact if anybody reads this and needs help on proper labelling and GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices). I will offer my services free of charge.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How would you feel if someone were to 'borrow' some of that information to include in letters to their elected supposed officials

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I think once its posted online, you can:)
Just making sure. I have enough problems already, hahaha
smiley-face-laughing.gif

wjohnsonjr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The confusion is this is a tobacco product minus the 0mg juice of course. On June 22, 2009, President Barack Obama signed into law the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (FSPTCA, also known as the tobacco control act) granting the U.S. Food and Drug Administration authority to regulate tobacco products. So what will be come relevant will be how it is produced. What are the ingredients and they must be clearly displayed. If there are products that have entered commerce two things might happen. And effective date for proper labeling will be given and enforced after that date. Or the FDA could force a Class 1 recall and all products that do not meet this requirement to be removed from the shelves. The sanitary conditions in where the product is being produced be looked at. This will greatly affect the guys making it in thier basements. I recommend a understanding of HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points). And last but not least will be traceability and procedures to identify batches or lots of products produce. I could go on and on so and if you have any questions please send me a private message and I would be happy to discuss it. Big tobacco companies have avoided this by paying off government officials. Can you recall seeing ingredient labeling on a cigarette box. A production lot number or a production date/best by date?

Last edited:

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The confusion is this is a tobacco product minus the 0mg juice of course. On June 22, 2009, President Barack Obama signed into law the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (FSPTCA, also known as the tobacco control act) granting the U.S. Food and Drug Administration authority to regulate tobacco products. So what will be come relevant will be how it is produced. What are the ingredients and they must be displayed and properly. If there are products that have entered commerce two things might happen. And effective date for proper labeling will be given and enforced after that date. Or the FDA could force a Class 1 recall and force all products that do not meet this requirement to be removed from the shelves. The sanitary conditions in where the product is being produced. This will greatly affect the guys making it in thier basements. I recommend a understanding of HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points). And last but not least will be traceability and procedures to identify batches or lots of products produce. I could go on so and if you have any questions please send me a private message and I would be happy to discuss it. Big tobacco companies have avoided this by paying of government officials. Can you recall seeing ingredient labeling on a cigarette box. A production lot number or a production date/best by date?
Not to mention the fact that a complete ingredient list on cigarettes would require a huge fold-out attached to the pack. List of 599 ingredients submitted to govt by tobacco companies http://archive.tobacco.org/Resources/599ingredients.html (includes things like acetoin and mood changers such as caffeine and valerian root [nature's version of valium]).

wjohnsonjr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How would you feel if someone were to 'borrow' some of that information to include in letters to their elected supposed officials

These are facts and I didn't comprise the numbers so if you need information please help yourself. Glad to help! Just please don't copy the whole thing without referencing the writer. LOL

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
These are facts and I didn't comprise the numbers so if you need information please help yourself. Glad to help! Just please don't copy the whole without referencing the writer. LOL
No, I wouldn't copy the whole. I used to write for attorneys, its the facts and information I wanted to steal.. borrow lol
Thank you!!!

wjohnsonjr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gather signatures as well when you submit. There is strength in numbers!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Actually we have what amounts To a state version of cases and I was going t forward the letter to them,

wjohnsonjr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Please keep me advise! I really hope that helps out. The big picture is this has the potential to be big business. Unfortunately it might be to late but there are a lot of vape companies out there that could put in little bit of money and turn the science over to a university that could do the research for them. Most will do it for free just to get the paper published. The down side is we would not have access to the data till it got reviewed and published. This could take up to three year or longer. We do it in the food industry all the time.

Last edited:

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Passionate
I applaud your actions helping out.

States are already creating taxes and regulating e-cigarettes without FDA.
This is more of a danger than FDA. FDA will take years to implement without any lawsuits.
States can create law and enforcement in months.

As you are aware, we are against BT BP money, lost State revenues and public health agencies. Their interests are to control and profit.
This is a good read on the subject.
http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/serials/files/regulation/2015/3/regulation-v38n1-3.pdf

IMO, FDA regulations are coming by year end. FDA will attempt to eliminate most of the nicotine market we have today through fees associate with compliance.

One hope is this http://vapingunderground.com/thread...2007-to-2015-for-newly-deemed-products.80988/

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well. no matter what the FDA is gonna do something to us.
How much lube they use before shoving it up our ass is really what the endgame is,

HazeKraze

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
WHAO! Pretty good bunch of info !

VU Sponsors