Become a Patron!

Is my vape defective? Help

I got a smok stick prince since I started vaping around august and ive been happy with it. obviously as a newcomer ive burnt my first few coils and experienced all that but im starting to think my vape is either just bad or a dud.

my brother came over a few days ago with his resa stick and wow the flavor on that just packed a punch. on my vape the flavor is always just a hint, but with his its like eating candy.

ive always thought vaping is supposed to be just with the hint of flavor, and now im very sad with my device and wondering if its just been broken on arrival, because ive never experienced a mouthful of flavor. even when i just cleaned my tank and then primed my brand new coil to let it soak with flavor and still almost nothing.

is there any fix with the stick prince or is it just bad and should i get the resa?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well first off, there's a difference between a mod and an atomizer -- the mod is just the power source; the atomizer is the part that will make or break the flavor. What you need to find out is:

1) what atomizer he's using;
2) what kind of coil his atomizer is using;
3) what the resistance of that coil is;
4) what power level he's using.

Then, get an atomizer just like his, and use a coil just like his, and you can put it on any mod you want and still get great flavor.

However, I do have to say: Smok products are pretty much "bottom of the barrel", in terms of quality and longevity.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well first off, there's a difference between a mod and an atomizer -- the mod is just the power source; the atomizer is the part that will make or break the flavor. What you need to find out is:
Then, get an atomizer just like his, and use a coil just like his, and you can put it on any mod you want and still get great flavor.
However, I do have to say: Smok products are pretty much "bottom of the barrel", in terms of quality and longevity.
Andria

I got a smok stick prince since I started vaping around august and ive been happy with it. obviously as a newcomer ive burnt my first few coils and experienced all that but im starting to think my vape is either just bad or a dud.

my brother came over a few days ago with his resa stick and wow the flavor on that just packed a punch. on my vape the flavor is always just a hint, but with his its like eating candy.

ive always thought vaping is supposed to be just with the hint of flavor, and now im very sad with my device and wondering if its just been broken on arrival, because ive never experienced a mouthful of flavor. even when i just cleaned my tank and then primed my brand new coil to let it soak with flavor and still almost nothing.

is there any fix with the stick prince or is it just bad and should i get the resa?

As Andria noted: many, many, many factors determine flavor on a set up - including the type of juice - is your cousin using the same kind?

Vaping is so subjective - great taste to one vaper may seem fantastic, while the exact same setup may be horrible to another

And welcome to VU :wave:

Andria
yeah i understand smok is pretty low quality from what ive read, but hes using just the basic stick resa which is why im so surprised.
hes using a mesh coil at 0.15 ohms for his v8 baby, and im using a mesh coil at 0.15 ohms for my tfv12 prince.

As Andria noted: many, many, many factors determine flavor on a set up - including the type of juice - is your cousin using the same kind?

Vaping is so subjective - great taste to one vaper may seem fantastic, while the exact same setup may be horrible to another

And welcome to VU :wave:
when i see him later today ill ask to fill from his juice, but as it seems right now his is just millions of times better in terms of flavor. and thank you! :)
just to also note, ive used 4 e-liquids and i only get "hints" of flavor with them, so maybe its coincidence but ill try his e-liquid soon and see if it makes a difference.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yeah i understand smok is pretty low quality from what ive read, but hes using just the basic stick resa which is why im so surprised.
hes using a mesh coil at 0.15 ohms for his v8 baby, and im using a mesh coil at 0.15 ohms for my tfv12 prince.

Ok, so it seems the coils are very similar... maybe it's just that his atomizer provides better flavor. The tiniest, seemingly most insignificant differences really can make a world of difference.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
when i see him later today ill ask to fill from his juice, but as it seems right now his is just millions of times better in terms of flavor. and thank you! :)
just to also note, ive used 4 e-liquids and i only get "hints" of flavor with them, so maybe its coincidence but ill try his e-liquid soon and see if it makes a difference.

The Baby Beast tank is known as a serious flavor atty - but I've never owned or use any of the gear you are talking about so hesitate to advise about them

Ok, so it seems the coils are very similar... maybe it's just that his atomizer provides better flavor. The tiniest, seemingly most insignificant differences really can make a world of difference.

Andria
would it work if i get his tank and put it on my stick prince mod and see if that would change anything? someone else suggested that. and thank you so much for your help

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
would it work if i get his tank and put it on my stick prince mod and see if that would change anything? someone else suggested that. and thank you so much for your help

Sure... the mod is pretty much irrelevant, to the flavor. It does nothing except provide the power source, and allow you to adjust the power level. For flavor, the atomizer (shape and airflow) and the coil is EVERYTHING; the only difference the mod itself can offer is in what power level you use, and differing power levels can change the flavor.

Andria

Sure... the mod is pretty much irrelevant, to the flavor. It does nothing except provide the power source, and allow you to adjust the power level. For flavor, the atomizer (shape and airflow) and the coil is EVERYTHING; the only difference the mod itself can offer is in what power level you use, and differing power levels can change the flavor.

Andria
thank you so so much! lastly, as a new vaper what would you suggest for me to get since smok is really bad? im currently on 12mg and looking to go down, also while looking for clouds and flavor

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Before you condemn the MOD/Atomizer/Coil try lowering the wattage or maybe raising it because many e-Liquids taste better when they are not flamed with High wattage. Think of a steak, one that is Rare or Medium Rare tastes better than a well done piece of shoe leather. Just my opinion based on personal experience. I run many of my coils at 25% below the maximum recommended wattage.

Before you condemn the MOD/Atomizer/Coil try lowering the wattage or maybe raising it because many e-Liquids taste better when they are not flamed with High wattage. Think of a steak, one that is Rare or Medium Rare tastes better than a well done piece of shoe leather. Just my opinion based on personal experience. I run many of my coils at 25% below the maximum recommended wattage.
yeah unfortunately because i have a stick mod it has a chip which automatically changes the wattage based on the resistance of the coil, so thats out of the window for me :/ but thanks

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yeah unfortunately because i have a stick mod it has a chip which automatically changes the wattage based on the resistance of the coil, so thats out of the window for me :/ but thanks

I can see a mod doing that if you run it in TC mode... but in wattage mode? Why the hell would it do that? If that's true, then you DEFINITELY need a better mod!

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I can see a mod doing that if you run it in TC mode... but in wattage mode? Why the hell would it do that? If that's true, then you DEFINITELY need a better mod!

Andria

It's like a mosfet or something

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I missed the Stick part. What coils are you using? Priming them well enough?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
thank you so so much! lastly, as a new vaper what would you suggest for me to get since smok is really bad? im currently on 12mg and looking to go down, also while looking for clouds and flavor

Which do you want more, clouds or flavor? Because you're gonna need different hardware, depending on which is more important to you. Really thick massive clouds are gonna need very high VG; VG isn't very good at carrying flavor; you need higher PG for best flavor, and PG doesn't make as much cloud. AND, a lot of people seem to be sensitive to the irritating effects of too much PG -- I'm not, personally, unless I use like 90% PG -- but that irritation from high-PG does seem more common than problems with high-VG.

And, if 12mg keeps you from smoking, there's no real need to go lower, unless you just want to, for insurance reasons, or you have some serious cardiovascular problem -- nicotine is NOT the bad guy in cigarettes, nor is it all that addictive. More like "mildly habit-forming". I'd say go lower ONLY when/if 12mg starts making you nauseous, or dizzy, or headachy, or jittery.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's like a mosfet or something

That's just weird. He definitely needs a better mod, which will work the way HE wants it to work. That's like HAL telling Dave, "I can't do that, Dave." :facepalm:

Andria

Which do you want more, clouds or flavor? Because you're gonna need different hardware, depending on which is more important to you. Really thick massive clouds are gonna need very high VG; VG isn't very good at carrying flavor; you need higher PG for best flavor, and PG doesn't make as much cloud. AND, a lot of people seem to be sensitive to the irritating effects of too much PG -- I'm not, personally, unless I use like 90% PG -- but that irritation from high-PG does seem more common than problems with high-VG.

And, if 12mg keeps you from smoking, there's no real need to go lower, unless you just want to, for insurance reasons, or you have some serious cardiovascular problem -- nicotine is NOT the bad guy in cigarettes, nor is it all that addictive. More like "mildly habit-forming". I'd say go lower ONLY when/if 12mg starts making you nauseous, or dizzy, or headachy, or jittery.

Andria
flavor is more important to me. perhaps i should rephrase, im not looking for something thats completely gonna box in one hit, but at least have a decent sized cloud. again, thank you so much for your help im learning a lot today :)

and regarding the comments about my mod, yeah, my friends marketed this to me as completely beginner friendly (because i dont need to mess with settings at all) so thats why i have it :/

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
flavor is more important to me. perhaps i should rephrase, im not looking for something thats completely gonna box in one hit, but at least have a decent sized cloud. again, thank you so much for your help im learning a lot today :)

and regarding the comments about my mod, yeah, my friends marketed this to me as completely beginner friendly (because i dont need to mess with settings at all) so thats why i have it :/

They are easy to use - while I've never had one, I enjoy others like it, but I build my own coils, so I can control how the mods works that way

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
regarding the comments about my mod, yeah, my friends marketed this to me as completely beginner friendly (because i dont need to mess with settings at all) so thats why i have it :/

Being able to adjust air flow and wattage is important for flavor chasers at least in my opinion. Good Luck

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Being able to adjust air flow and wattage is important for flavor chasers at least in my opinion. Good Luck
^^ This^^
I suggest, that since you are willing to buy another tank, get a variable wattage adjustable mod instead. If you don't want to buy batteries and a charger right now, you can get one with a built in battery. Use the Prince on the new mod and see if you like it once you can adjust the wattage with a couple different coils that are available for it. If after that you still want a more flavorful tank, we can go from there, and you'll still have the setup you have now that you can keep as a back up. But, I'd say definitely start with a variable wattage mod.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
^^ This^^
I suggest, that since you are willing to buy another tank, get a variable wattage adjustable mod instead. If you don't want to buy batteries and a charger right now, you can get one with a built in battery. Use the Prince on the new mod and see if you like it once you can adjust the wattage with a couple different coils that are available for it. If after that you still want a more flavorful tank, we can go from there, and you'll still have the setup you have now that you can keep as a back up. But, I'd say definitely start with a variable wattage mod.

I think the Aegis Mini comes with an integrated battery, doesn't it? And I have to say, my son and I are both delighted with our Aegis mods, mine the original and his the Legend. Geekvape makes good stuff.

That's a good idea, about trying out that atty on a decent mod. Then, the OP can see if he likes that atty, or should try another one.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, @victorkrajci . :D

Andria

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Several factors like the others have stated. Biggest issues that come to mind is if you're comparing atty to atty with the same tank, then maybe. Not likely the case though.
Every coil, build, some cotton, brand of juice will produce a totally different flavor profile. A prebuilt coil like yours won't give the best flavor vs an RTA, RDTA or RDA. They just won't but can give you good flavors if you're not into building. I for one like prebuilts at times but understand they just won't give good flavor. No matter what brand of juice I have. So for the most part I build.
On getting into building, you must observe the Ohm Law. Then it takes just a few minutes to start with a decent kit or your own tools. Cotton/wick change will keep the flavor going as well, that's depending on your taste buds. A low ohm build can be a good flavor, again your taste. I like on some attys a .25 then on a few like about a good .45-.5 build.
Your atty is probably more than ok, just he has a better setup on tank or rda. If you are flavor chasing then your next step is to build. They do sell prebuilt coils for you to tweak (pinch, straighten out, strum). I did those once and now just buy wire and do my own. But a good start to get the hang of checking the coil, ohm, and installation.

I hope this helps and happy vaping! :)

VU Sponsors