Become a Patron!

Issues with clapton coils in the Recurve

frogzx

Member For 1 Year
So I just got some 3mm 26/30g 5 wrap normal clapton coils from AVS and have been having some issues. Everything seems to be going well at first, I cut the wire correctly according to the measuring tool and strum out all hot spots like usual, but when I start using it the resistance keeps jumping around. It'll start at 44-45, then jump down to 42 after hitting it, then go to like 47. Pretty frustrating and I have no idea what the issue could be, my 2.5mm claptons of the same type from AVS are consistent as long as I don't mess up the installation so i'm out of ideas as to why this would be happening.

frogzx

Member For 1 Year
Stainless steel’s resistance changes slightly as it heats/cools, nothing to worry about.
Really? Even if it is fluctuating after every hit? I get that its supposed to fluctuate while being fired, but changing the base resistance every time isn't something i've seen happen with any SS coil i've used.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I mostly build for mtl these days, the 2.5mm SS coil I have in my tank atm is .89, it goes up to 1 ohm when I take a draw, or a 1/10 ohm or so change, even being wicked and saturated. I’d say the larger the diameter and # of wraps the bigger the difference.

I can only watch the change on my ohm meter or more accurate regulated devices.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Have you checked that you're still getting an even glow with no hot spots? Did you recheck that the legs were securely trapped? It's possible you may have severed a wire. If you have I wouldn't worry too much.

frogzx

Member For 1 Year
Have you checked that you're still getting an even glow with no hot spots? Did you recheck that the legs were securely trapped? It's possible you may have severed a wire. If you have I wouldn't worry too much.
There have been 0 hot spots before wicking, i'm very cautious about it. And I have the screws tied down tight so I highly doubt it's a situation of one of them being loose. Also kind of doubt i've severed any wires, I don't think I could screw them in hard enough to break a wire like this and whenever I take one out its just a little bent towards the bottom from being screwed into.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure your pin Is tight and add will as lead screw screws. When you pulse the lead screws sometimes get loose

#staycloudy

VU Sponsors