James Gunn Cast a Peacemaker Actor Because of a 20-Year-Old Scooby Doo Audition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
An audition for the 2002 live-action Scooby-Doo movie, which James Gunn wrote, led to a role in a high-profile superhero project 20 years later. That's the story of Lochlyn Munro, who will play a detective in Gunn's upcoming Peacemaker TV series.

Munro auditioned to play Shaggy in the first Scooby-Doo movie, a role that ultimately went to Matthew Lillard. But 20 years later Gunn recognized Munro again when he saw the actor's audition tape for a role in Peacemaker.

"I ended up in [Peacemaker] because when [Gunn] saw my tape, he remembered that I was one of his choices for Shaggy," Munro said on The Dave and Creech Show, according to Slash Film. "So, I went in – Obviously, [Matthew] Lillard was the perfect choice for that character. But that's kind of how he went, 'Oh, yeah, I want Lochlyn in this, because I remember he was one of my choices for Scooby-Doo.' Twenty years later, isn't that weird?"

Munro will play a detective named Larry Fitzgibbon in Peacemaker. As Slash Film points out, this is an original character created by Gunn. The character's last name, Fitzgibbon, is a reference to Gunn's "oldest friend" as explained in this Instagram post from Gunn in 2016.

Peacemaker is a spinoff of James Gunn's The Suicide Squad following the psychopathic, patriotic mercenary of the same name played by John Cena. Peacemaker will debut on January 13, 2022, on HBO Max and the first season will consist of eight episodes starring Cena.

Peacemaker will also include another hero named Vigilante. You can read up on Vigilante's abilities and backstory to see how the DC Comics character fits into the DCEU.

Here is everything new on HBO Max in November 2021 including the season 3 finale of Doom Patrol and the Will Smith movie King Richard.

Petey Oneto is a freelance writer for IGN.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors