James Gunn Discusses The Peacemaker Finale's Wild Character Cameo

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Warning: This article contains spoilers for the Peacemaker season finale!

Peacemaker big finale aired last night … and it includes a crazy cameo. Now, director James Gunn has spoken about how it all came together.

The hit TV show has already made headlines thanks to its insanely hilarious intro and over-the-top action, as seen in the show’s official trailer. But after a series full of explosive action, pet eagles, and shots of Peacemaker strutting around in his pants, James Gunn has dropped a massive cameo appearance that will leave you stunned. Seriously, click away if you don't want things spoiled.

Peacemaker’s finale episode, “Cow or Never”, sees our favorite antihero head up a team to take out the farmhouse – where the Butterflies keep their food source, known as “the cow”. Once the explosive mission is finally over, team Peacemaker heads out, dragging themselves off the battlefield after suffering major injuries. And that’s when the Justice League turns up.

"We didn’t have the budget for them to show up on time," James Gunn told Variety. "Never been able to do it. They had to show up late."

That’s right – Zack Snyder’s Justice League (minus Batman and Cyborg) makes an unexpected appearance at the end of the finale episode. And it’s not mere stand-ins, either. Sure, we never get a good look at Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman or Henry Cavill’s Superman, but we see Aquaman (Jason Momoa) and The Flash (Ezra Miller) trade verbal blows about a long-standing rumor that involves the King of Atlantis and a fish…

"I think before we ever shot the show, we talked to Jason about it," said Gunn. "We were like, 'Listen, [Peacemaker] says you fuck fish all the time.' And we were a little afraid he would be upset, but he just laughed. He was cool. So he was pretty much on board from the beginning. And then Ezra I just found out through some common friends liked my movies a lot. And so I asked if he would come in and shoot this scene, and he kindly agreed to do that. Actually, Marvel shot [Ezra] for us, while we’re shooting Guardians Vol. 3."

It's a hilariously unexpected moment. After all, the Justice League is still clearly together at this point. But what does that even mean?

It’s no secret that Warner Bros. chose to can Ben Affleck’s solo Batman movie in favor of The Batman starring Robert Pattinson. And with Ben Affleck turning his back on the role, it’s no surprise to see him absent from the Justice League line-up in Peacemaker.

Then there’s the conspicuous absence of Cyborg, which is clearly in part due to actor Ray Fisher’s ongoing beef with Warner Bros. And with no sign of an apology from the company, it looks as though he won’t be suiting up as Cyborg again anytime soon.

"You know, I don’t know what I can — there are reasons for [their absence], but I’m actually uncertain whether I can say what those reasons are," said Gunn. "It might have to do with future stuff."

At this point, the DCEU doesn’t seem to know what it’s doing… and this cameo just muddies the waters even further.

"Um, you know, I didn’t have a conversation [with Warner Bros.]," said Gunn. "I just wrote it and gave them the scripts. I don’t think they really realized what they had agreed to until they saw what I had shot, which was the Justice League there. And then I think the full weight of it and, you know, what does this mean for the DCU and all of that became huge pieces of conversation up to the very highest levels of Warners. And to their credit, they let me get away with it."

Whatever’s going on, this insane Peacemaker cameo can’t be understated. Just don’t expect to see Zack Snyder’s Justice League back together in full anytime soon.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors