Become a Patron!

Jinamod Brass Wood Fairy clone - Brass clearcoat stripping

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some of ya have seen this mod, it comes in all shiny and stuff but the clear coat soon starts wearing off.
Then, you have speckled and nasty looking brass.

I'd tried my usual treatment of a baking soda bath, like I'd done on my Sentinel v3 brass mod, but this brass was different and it reacted badly....

It got the coating off, but also started taking out the zinc giving it a coppery color and left some nasty residue I had to scrub off. Oops.

I got tired of the thing looking like shit, researched some other ways and came across this one...seemed simple enough: http://www.stylenorth.ca/blog/2011/02/strip-brass-with-oven-cleaner/

It worked!

Of course, I took off ALL of the copper and insulator parts first...everything does come off.

Only left it on a few minutes and scrubbed it all wearing heavy chemical gloves and an old toothbrush to get all of the crannies. Rinsed thoroughly with water and dried with a towel. Then, when I was sure it was stable, gave it the treatment I gave my Sentinel v3: plain old Lemon Furniture Polish.

The lemon forces a lovely patina while the polish seals it and actually seem to help lube the mods threads without leaving a residue.

Check her out now....

It still has a bit of mottling to it from before, but I don't think I can change that now.
It'll patina naturally now and even out like my Sentinel v3. . Much better!! :D

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Looks nice and thanks for the tip!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks nice and thanks for the tip!

Thanks Uncle, It's been a work in progress. It came in all purdy and stuff, but that didn't last long as the lacquer flaked off of the brass and it started getting all mottled.

When I got it:

JWlomhxl.jpg

The wood has darkened with use too, which is nice. An aged look is great for this mod. :)

VU Sponsors