Joe Exotic Series with Kate McKinnon Casts Its Tiger King

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Kate McKinnon's Carole Baskin has met her match. John Cameron Mitchell has been cast opposite the SNL star as the infamous Joe "Exotic" Schreibvogel aka the Tiger King in an upcoming scripted series, per Variety. “I’m thrilled to take on the role of this modern folk antihero,” Mitchell said. “Joe and I are the same age and like him, I grew up queer in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas so I feel like I know a little bit about this guy and his desperate attempt to conquer an inhospitable world.” [ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2020/04/01/tiger-king-whos-the-worst"] Mitchell is most well-known for co-creating and performing in the stage musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch. He also directed and starred in the film adaptation of the show. Mitchell has directed films like Rabbit Hole and How to Talk to Girls at Parties and has numerous TV acting credits such as Girls, Mozart in the Jungle, and Shrill. [caption id="attachment_2502518" align="alignnone" width="1920"]
John Cameron Mitchell.
John Cameron Mitchell.[/caption] The limited series, currently titled Joe Exotic, will air across NBC, Peacock, and USA Network. The story will focus on Baskin, a big cat advocate, as she attempts to shut down Joe Exotic's zoo operation. The real clash ended with Exotic serving a 22-year sentence for planning to have Baskin murdered. Exotic and Baskin's saga was covered in Netflix's hit documentary series Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem, and Madness, which reached over 30 million viewers in its first 10 days on the streamer. [widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=the-10-best-reviewed-shows-on-netflix-in-2020&captions=true"] Another scripted Tiger King series is in development at Amazon. Nicolas Cage is attached to play Joe Exotic. It will mark the actor's first regular television role should the project get ordered to series. In our review of Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness, IGN gave the docuseries an 8, calling it a "fascinating and repelling look inside a little-known circle." [poilib element="accentDivider"] J. Kim Murphy is a freelance entertainment writer. (Photo by Jenny Anderson/Getty Images)

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors