Become a Patron!

Kanger Subtank Mini

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This may be a long explanation...
I got this brand new from a friend that stockpiles older stuff he got on clearance sales. I really like it (with the original coils) and then tried it with some "newer" coils made for it (or so I assumed) Some are "SSOCC" and some are "ceramic coils" They both worked great BUT I had issues with leaking. I wondered if it was the seal where the "chimney tube" goes into the top of the coils but noticed even when the tank was lower on juice it still leaked (out the airflow slots) I did some research and others said the same thing (original coils didn't leak but the newer ones did) It also came with a RBA (and I really just want to jump right into using that... also have watched every video on YT about building this... it's very similar to other older designs so very cool with that) So... I compared one of these "newer coils to the RBA. The newer coils have a longer "510" than the RBA? I don't have one of the original coils to compare. This confused me. Yes, it will obviously make a good connection but wondered if the small o-ring on the bottom of the coil might not be sealing. Also put the RBA in (with included installed coil) and it seemed to make a good connection (around 0.5-0.6 ohms) I'm thinking about adding an extra o-ring (I saved one from another coil) I have 13 of these "drop-in coils" that I would like to use. I posted something about this on another forum and every person said "I love my subtank mini but just use the RBA" Long story... but I got these coils for free. just curious if anyone has experienced this issue (and how you solved it) Otherwise I will just move on and build the RBA (and of course, any tips on that will be appreciated)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been a Subtank Mini user for many years. Good tank. Have 8-10 of em. I quickly abandoned the factory coils and only have used the RBA's. Properly wicked the RBA's will NOT leak. Unless of course like any tank if kept in high heat, etc. To build the RBA.. Just go to Youtube and search on Kanger RBA. Many good vids on how to do it.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Like I mentioned... I have watched many videos on building the RBA. Hey I got these coils for free (some company sent the wrong order, fixed that and said "keep the coils"... so no loss) I'm going to just jump right into the RBA and not look back.
BTW, I seem to have the version 2 of the RBA (with the small set screw that holds the "chamber" on) I guess the earlier version had a screw on "chamber" ("chimney", "barrel"... not sure the correct term to use)
Going to use 26 ga Kanthal, 3mm ID, about 6 wraps. Haven't decided on spaced or contact coil... any suggestions? Every video I watched they tossed the included coil (not sure... maybe 28 ga Ni80 2.5mm ID spaced coil) Should I try that first or just make my own coil?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually use 26 ga SS316 3mm 6 wraps works out to around .45 ohm. And spaced.
And I turn the coil down. Clockwise wrap makes this work. Be sure that the wick ends cover the 2 holes well or you will have drips.

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@The Cromwell , thank you so much. SS... I really need to try that (most people do seem to like Ni80 or SS316 (I've mostly used Kanthal... only because that's what I have) Do you use TC or just wattage?
Spaced coils are so easy (if you know how to make them... I do) I was going to ask you... coil facing down or up? Most do up but then have to push the coil down, but a few face it down and then lift it up a bit. I have some pre-wound MTL single core claptons that might work well (and they are slightly spaced) I am aware of how to wick this RBA (just have to choose between rayon or cotton) I'm thinking cotton for this one. I only use rayon for RTAs that have small wicking ports (like my Lemo2) I will make sure the wicks cover the holes well.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only use cotton. Hate rayon. And yes I use cotton in my Lemo's as well. However you place the coil the top of it should wind up a bit higher than the posts. Kanthal will work fine as well. I only use wattage usually on a Kbox Mini mod. Around 15-16 W.
Adjust to suit of course.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Most times I use cotton (having mixed feelings about rayon but still like it in the Lemo2)
BTW, I have two Kanger Kbox mini platinum 60 watts (love them but sometimes have issues with the 510 in the mod being a bit low for some tanks) I even have the original Kbox 40 watt (with the LEDs) LOL I actually love that thing. I will mount the coil (for the subtank mini RBA) with coil above the legs (but might lower the coil just a bit) Cotton for that 👍 I got most of my stuff from clearance sales (got great deals) I miss those days. The subtank mini was from a personal friend that has several (he also stocked up on clearance sales) Will do a build this week-end.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I only use cotton. Hate rayon. And yes I use cotton in my Lemo's as well. However you place the coil the top of it should wind up a bit higher than the posts. Kanthal will work fine as well. I only use wattage usually on a Kbox Mini mod. Around 15-16 W.
Adjust to suit of course.

Back then?

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
My go to mod/tank is also still the kanger sub or top mini. I have 5 of them in my usual rotation. 😁
I still use the .5ohm stock coils. I'll keep using them until I can't find them anymore.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My go to mod/tank is also still the kanger sub or top mini. I have 5 of them in my usual rotation. 😁
I still use the .5ohm stock coils. I'll keep using them until I can't find them anymore.
Do you ever have issues with leaking (stock coils on subtank mini)? Do both of those use the same coils?
Maybe I just have the wrong coils.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Do you ever have issues with leaking (stock coils on subtank mini)? Do both of those use the same coils?
Maybe I just have the wrong coils.
There were a couple runs that were bad batches. The cotton was pressed in too tight and doesn't hold the liquid. There was also a run of bad tanks that leaked out the airholes. It's also possible that it is not an OG Kanger tank. Can you post a couple closeup, clear pics of the entire tank, inside of base, and bottom of base?

I use the round in the tops and the square in the subs. What is the number/letter marked on the ones you have that are leaking?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I bought what were most likely a clone Subtank and a clone Protank IV, and had nothing but leaking no matter whether I used factory coils or the RBAs.

The Kbox Mini Platinum should have won Kanger some kind of an award or something. For the time in which it was produced, what an awesome mod it was. Mine cost $22, and lasted for every bit of five years, and a considerable amount of that time I was using it almost all day, five days a week. It was my office mod. It finally began to auto-fire, so I had to stop using it.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's an authentic Kanger tank. Worked fine with the original (square) coils that came with it. Going to try the supplied RBA next.
BTW, I have two Kbox Mini Platinum mods (both SS) Love them but the only issue is the 510 center is a bit low so doesn't work with a few atties (that have short 510) The subtank mini did not come with the mod (I actually bought it from a friend... brand new unopened box)

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It's an authentic Kanger tank. Worked fine with the original (square) coils that came with it. Going to try the supplied RBA next.
BTW, I have two Kbox Mini Platinum mods (both SS) Love them but the only issue is the 510 center is a bit low so doesn't work with a few atties (that have short 510) The subtank mini did not come with the mod (I actually bought it from a friend... brand new unopened box)
For the 510 pin on those platinums... take a paper clip or tweezers and very gently pull up on the brass pin in the center and they'll be good as new. Sometimes if an atty's 510 connection is too long it pushes the pin down.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I know that... I have a small tool (sort of like a dental pick) that helps with that. I have some electronics cleaner spray (that also has a small amount if oil for lube) Thought about trying that but actually I only use a Zlide tank on it and it works fine. Might play with my extra mod (that was given to me) I have this measuring thingy (I was an auto mechanic and it's used to measure tire thread wear) Might compare all my mods (if it is accurate enough) Thanks for reminding me to try a few things.

VU Sponsors