Keanu Reeves Almost Used the Stage Name ‘Chuck Spadina’

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The Matrix Resurrections star Keanu Reeves was almost known by an entirely different name – Chuck Spadina.

During an interview with Good Morning America, the 57-year-old star of The Matrix Resurrections revealed how his career almost went very differently.

“So, I’m 20 years old, I’m in my first car, I wanted to be in movies, I went to Hollywood,” he explained. “And I get there and they’re like, ‘we wanna change your name’.”

According to Reeves, he was told that ‘Keanu’ was “a little too exotic,” and so he was pushed into a position to come up with a stage name. Asked what kind of names he considered, Reeves didn’t miss a beat before revealing it. “Chuck Spadina,” he said. “I just came up with ridiculous names.”

Chuck Spadina.

The Matrix, starring Chuck Spadina. John Wick, starring Chuck Spadina. That's what might be on the posters in a parallel universe.

Ultimately, he “couldn’t do it”. It’s a good thing Reeves eventually stuck to his guns – I can’t imagine the kind of career Chuck Spadina would have had in Reeves’ absence.

Hilariously, as pointed out by AV Club, Reeves lived in Toronto for most of his youth, where a major road was called Spadina Avenue – possibly the inspiration behind this moniker.

Thankfully, Reeves stuck with his 'exotic-sounding' first name. But a version of Speed starring Chuck Spadina certainly would have had some highlights.

Honestly, I don’t know what to do with this information. But since finding out about the near-existence of Chuck Spadina, I can’t help wondering which iconic action flicks Chuck would have starred in.

Spadina will return to his iconic role as Neo in the upcoming sci-fi flick, The Matrix Resurrections, with a new video highlighting the incredible action sequences we can expect in the movie. Elsewhere, it looks as though Tom Hardy will be jacking into The Matrix too, as the action star is revealed to have appeared as an extra during filming.

The Matrix Resurrections opens in theaters on December 22, 2021.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors