Kick-Ass Is Getting a 'F*cking Nuts' Reboot, According To Matthew Vaughn

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughn has revealed that his gritty superhero movie is being rebooted, and it’s going to be even more controversial than the original.

During an interview with Collider, the Kick-Ass director confirmed that the real-life superhero movie is getting a reboot, and it’s coming soon.

“We’ve got a big reboot of Kick-Ass in two years,” he said. “Big reboot.”

Starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson as the titular hero, Kick-Ass follows the story of teenager Dave Lizewski as he takes up the superhero moniker, ‘Kick-Ass’. He soon meets his fellow vigilantes Big Daddy (Nicolas Cage) and Hit Girl (Chloë Grace Moretz) as the trio become embroiled in a fight with the criminal underworld.

Despite a middling box office return, Kick-Ass became incredibly popular on home video, developing something of a cult following.

Now, after licensing out the international rights for 10 to 13 years, it looks as though those rights are about to return to Vaughn’s production company, Marv. And that makes it the perfect time to reboot the Kick-Ass series.

“It's so fucking nuts that I can't talk about it,” he said. “But we've got that ready to go. All the rights revert back in two years and then we're going to reboot it where people will be like, he is insane.”

But why reboot Kick-Ass? Why not make Kick-Ass 3?

“Because I think the clue is in the title,” said Vaughn. “I think Kick-Ass became a new type of genre. Everyone was like, ‘Oh, you can’t make R-rated superheroes. No one will want to see an R-rated superhero. You can’t do this. You can’t do that.’ So, I had this idea, and it was so nuts that I went, ‘Yeah, great. It’ll cause just as much controversy, and everyone will talk about it and as many people that love it will hate it’.”

“I’m not saying it hasn’t got the characters in it and won't have, you know,” he added. “I'm just saying it's not what anyone could be imagining what it is. And I'm going to need one very, very brave actor or actress to play the new Kick-Ass because it will scare the shit out of them.”

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors