Become a Patron!

Kingpin Actor Vincent D'Onofrio Confirms His Character Is the Same in Both Hawkeye and Daredevil

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOW for Marvel's Hawkeye's Season 1 Finale!!!

Vincent D'Onofrio, the actor who surprised fans when his villainous character Kingpin appeared in Hawkeye, has confirmed that his character is the same one that was first introduced in Netflix and Marvel's Daredevil series.

Speaking to Screen Rant, D'Onofrio shared not only that he was playing the same character - with slight differences - in both Daredevil and Hawkeye, but also how Marvel was able to connect the dots between the two to make it happen.

"I think from my point of view, like a lot of the Avengers stuff, a lot of the MCU stuff, they tried to connect as many dots to the original canon as they can, and some dots are just not possible to connect," D'Onofrio said. "And that's what we've done with connecting to Daredevil and vice versa. There's some dots [that] are connected.

"Like in the Hawkeye show, Fisk is obviously physically stronger and can take more physical abuse. But the key to his being an interesting character, in my mind, will always be the fact that he has this emotional life that grounds him, that makes everything work, as far as I'm concerned."

D'Onofrio continued to discuss how they were able to "sell that character" to the wider MCU audience and how it was all due to keeping "him based in that emotional life."

"We can sell that character in so many facets," D'Onofrio said. "Story-wise we can sell it, if we keep him based in that emotional life. And I know that the writers, and the producers, and me, and everybody involved in the Hawkeye show, we were all on the same page about that.

"I have to say that they're very collaborative people and – not only to mention awesome people, very nice – but the producers, like I said, the writers and the directors were all just thrilled to work with so we kept along those lines. And I think that's what will continue to make the character interesting if there's anything next for me to do."

His last line is very interesting as the end of Hawkeye's first season saw Alaqua Cox's May Lopez/Echo seemingly shooting Kingpin and ending his reign of terror. However, we don't see him actually being shot as it cuts away, and that definitely leaves room for something beyond the obvious to have happened.

For those familiar with the comics, a certain storyline that we won't spoil here gives one possible option for the future of Kingpin and a way for D'Onofrio to continue playing the beloved character.

In an interview with Deadline, D'Onofrio makes it seem that even he doesn't know the true fate of Kingpin.

"I hope he didn’t die,” D’Onofrio said. “I’m with the fans, I want to keep playing this part. My hope is that we continue.”

In the same interview, D'Onofrio also opened up about getting the unexpected call from Marvel boss Kevin Feige to return to Kingpin and his shock that Daredevil ended when it did.

"I didn’t know that Daredevil was going to end when it did, I thought it was going to continue for a few more years,” D’Onofrio said. “There was a lot to explore there, there were many facets of my character to explore.”

Lastly, he was asked about Laura Barton's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Rolex watch and what it meant for the overall story. Unfortunately, he's "in the same boat" as all of us at the moment.

"I’m trying to figure it out like everyone else,” D'Onofrio admitted. “I’m in the same boat: I really need more information.”

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Adam Bankhurst is a news writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter
@AdamBankhurst and on Twitch.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors