Become a Patron!

legs Twitching

nvaksman

Member For 3 Years
Developed legs twitching. Mostly vape Vanilla flavors for 4 years. Anyone has same effect?
3% Nic, 5% vanilla and 5% cherry.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Same advice as your posts about correlating vaping with your diarrhea, tight chest, not being able to breath:

Go see your doctor - been vaping since 2012 and never once had vaping cause any of this stuff

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sounds like something that need to be diagnosed by a Dr. I have peripheral neuropathy, so my legs twitch. Boyfriend has RLS, so his do, too. Basically, we end up kicking each other all night in our sleep.

See a Dr, We're good for vaping advise.

nvaksman

Member For 3 Years
Same advice as your posts about correlating vaping with your diarrhea, tight chest, not being able to breath:

Go see your doctor - been vaping since 2012 and never once had vaping cause any of this stuff
Question is about vanilla being toxic. since its on the list of the most toxic substances

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I have - many times - and see a lot of pop science but no real science at all

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I’m a spinal cord injury patient as of ten years ago, and have gotten leg spasms and twitching since my injury.
I sincerely doubt any twitching or spasms can be caused from vaping.
I sincerely hope you consult a neurologist. Odds are the issue is something neuromuscular.
There are many medications to treat the symptoms.

nvaksman

Member For 3 Years
I’m a spinal cord injury patient as of ten years ago, and have gotten leg spasms and twitching since my injury.
I sincerely doubt any twitching or spasms can be caused from vaping.
I sincerely hope you consult a neurologist. Odds are the issue is something neuromuscular.
There are many medications to treat the symptoms.
I have back problems for years herniated disks and pinched nerves for yers but never twitching

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
What I would do is go to the doctors and explain the problems but don't even mention vaping unless they ask you.

If you walk in to a doctors office with "I think vaping has something to do with..." you are going to end up getting misdiagnosed.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I see why you are paranoid now:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...irritating-compounds-discovered-in-vape-juice

You have to remember that every one of these "chemicals found in vaping may..." studies that have come out to date have the same problems.

They find a light trace of a chemical in eliquid.
They find out that a much larger amount of that chemical may cause something.
Then they say "vaping has chemicals that may cause..."

like with diacetyl.
vaping "may" cause popcorn lung
But wait, a cigarette has 50 - 750X the amount of diacetyl as the worst eliquid they could find but smoking doesn't cause popcorn lung.
If smoking doesn't cause it then it would be really hard for vaping to cause it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been vaping Capella Vanilla Custard V! daily for 4 years.
Around 120 ml/week.
AP, etc in it.

My complete physical a couple of months ago showed very normal lung function.
Doctor did not believe that I had smoked for around 40 years.
he had to check my record...

Had I still been smoking by now I would be a hacking gaspiing smoker.
I had started to develop smokers cough before I switched to vaping.

Selfies cause as many deaths in the USA as lightning strikes does.
Be safe , no selfies with your cell phone ;) Especially in a thunderstorm :)

Is vaping totally without risks? Nope however it is FAR less risky than smoking.
It is safer to do neither.

Last edited:

nvaksman

Member For 3 Years
Been vaping Capella Vanilla Custard V! daily for 4 years.
Around 120 ml/week.
AP, etc in it.

My complete physical a couple of months ago showed very normal lung function.
Doctor did not believe that I had smoked for around 40 years.
he had to check my record...

Had I still been smoking by now I would be a hacking gaspiing smoker.
I had started to develop smokers cough before I switched to vaping.

Selfies cause as many deaths in the USA as lightning strikes does.
Be safe , no selfies with your cell phone ;)

Is vaping totally without risks? Nope however it is FAR less risky than smoking.
It is safer to do neither.
Thank you.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I see why you are paranoid now:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...irritating-compounds-discovered-in-vape-juice

You have to remember that every one of these "chemicals found in vaping may..." studies that have come out to date have the same problems.

They find a light trace of a chemical in eliquid.
They find out that a much larger amount of that chemical may cause something.
Then they say "vaping has chemicals that may cause..."

like with diacetyl.
vaping "may" cause popcorn lung
But wait, a cigarette has 50 - 750X the amount of diacetyl as the worst eliquid they could find but smoking doesn't cause popcorn lung.

The amount of vanillin in eliquid is most likely much, much lower than the amount needed to cause harm.

Article says:

The researchers detected the presence of acetals in one of the eight Juul flavors they tested: crème brûlée. This flavor, which uses vanillin for a vanilla-like smell, contains relatively high levels of vanillin acetals, the scientists say. Other flavors might also contain acetals and aldehydes, they say, but they didn't test in this study for all the possible aldehydes.

Julie Zimmerman, the study's principal investigator and a professor in the chemical and environmental engineering department at Yale, stresses that much more research needs to be done before drawing conclusions about the safety of e-liquids. Such research needs to take into consideration the possibility that chemical reactions between different chemical constituents of e-liquids may lead to altered products.

It also further stated "the levels of vanillin (which is an aldehyde) the researchers cite in their analysis exceeded "real world" exposures from Juul pods"

nvaksman

Member For 3 Years
What I would do is go to the doctors and explain the problems but don't even mention vaping unless they ask you.

If you walk in to a doctors office with "I think vaping has something to do with..." you are going to end up getting misdiagnosed.
Agreed.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have back problems for years herniated disks and pinched nerves for yers but never twitching

Well...
how to put this...

I don’t know anything about herniated disks; and all I can speak for is personal experience with a severed spine.

I do know that a chronic issue can exacerbate other issues over time.

Bottom line is that not many people on this site have the proper credentials to diagnose you. Most of us; however, can say with a fair amount of confidence that vaping will not cause spasms or twitching.

nvaksman

Member For 3 Years
Article says:

The researchers detected the presence of acetals in one of the eight Juul flavors they tested: crème brûlée. This flavor, which uses vanillin for a vanilla-like smell, contains relatively high levels of vanillin acetals, the scientists say. Other flavors might also contain acetals and aldehydes, they say, but they didn't test in this study for all the possible aldehydes.

Julie Zimmerman, the study's principal investigator and a professor in the chemical and environmental engineering department at Yale, stresses that much more research needs to be done before drawing conclusions about the safety of e-liquids. Such research needs to take into consideration the possibility that chemical reactions between different chemical constituents of e-liquids may lead to altered products.

It also further stated "the levels of vanillin (which is an aldehyde) the researchers cite in their analysis exceeded "real world" exposures from Juul pods"
No one knows what exactly is going on. Big name researchers never produced data that supports their hypothesis or concentration of the substance in the vape. It’s all cost money to research and apparently nobody is really seriously producing data to support findings.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Scientific research in the USA has become a way to justify a corporate or political viewpoint.
Very little unbiased research for research's sake exists today.

nvaksman

Member For 3 Years
Well...
how to put this...

I don’t know anything about herniated disks; and all I can speak for is personal experience with a severed spine.

I do know that a chronic issue can exacerbate other issues over time.

Bottom line is that not many people on this site have the proper credentials to diagnose you. Most of us; however, can say with a fair amount of confidence that vaping will not cause spasms or twitching.
I am not looking to be diagnosed on this forum. Just may be some people got similar problems. But thanks for the posts to everyone who replied. After all we are being as capers, the group that are today is treated worse than cigarette companies

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To understand vanillin, it is important to realize that vanilla as a natural product consists of a number of organic compounds not just one. However, its major component is 4-hydroxy-3-methoxybenzaldehyde. The chemical structure of this component is written:

Vanillin is this same compound, produced synthetically. While not quite as good as the real thing, vanillin makes a fairly decent substitute. In view of the rumor there is going to be a vanilla shortage, it might behoove many to consider purchasing products made with vanillin.

https://www.quirkyscience.com/vanilla-and-vanillin/

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
another thing to remember is with some chemicals what matters is at what temperature does it cause the chemical to be Bad for you. In most cases this temp is well over OoM what we Vape at something in the range of 4000+ Degrees F.

Did not name any name. the point is You can make anything sound bad for you if you cherry pick The statement above to simple say " Chemical Bad for you" without context it could be fine.

VU Sponsors