Become a Patron!

Looking 4 advice on flavor concentrates (most popular flavors)

Tammie78

I have been making on juice 4 a few years now and come across only 1 really strong concentrate Licorice (any brand) that only have 2 use 10% or less for a robust flavor as I only make simply recipes (one flavor). I have lost a lot money trying 2 find different fruits that I can get a good flavor with 15%-18% even 10% if possible with a lot of steeping I might add . If anyone could help give me their fav flavors and there manufactures that you have used that have a lot of flavor in fruits and candies . I have used blue razzberry and double apple (FW) recently and found them not 2 bad but would have to use at least 18% percent with months of steeping to achieve a reasonable taste . I stay a year ahead in my juice making so all steeps 4 along time so the fruits should come out with more flavor than I am getting I think even at 10% . I use to only use 10% on all I have tried and most had 8 months + steeping and barley could taste it . I have tried 2 different store here in Canada so if any1 can also recommend a good DIY store( US )as I am thinking of buying outside of Canada . There was a thread I cannot find again of some1 needing more throat hit trying nic salts/ high PG etc. I recently starting adding small amounts of (FA) Polar Blast and that worked for me but use sparingly 2 find desired affect and play with it a little adding small droplets only . Thank you 2 anyone whom is willing 2 give me good advice in advance

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You can’t import vape juice that contains more than 66 mg/g of nicotine

Under the Consumer Chemicals and Containers Regulations (CCCR), products containing over 66 mg/g of nicotine meet the “very toxic” classification. Vape products considered “very toxic” can’t be manufactured, advertised, sold or imported into Canada.

You can’t import vape juice that doesn’t meet certain packaging standards

Liquids that contain between 10 mg/g and 66 mg/g of nicotine fall under the classification of “toxic”. These products must come in containers that meet the requirements outlined by the CCCR. These include passing a leakage test and a child proof lid. You can read more about the CCCR and other regulations on the Government of Canada website.

Doing a bit of checking for myself as an ignorant American. All I can offer is a suggestion to look at Bull City Flavors. They carry a wide variety of good flavorings. Their pricing isn't bad at all.

Tammie78

Thank u Magic , nice 2 know if I went with a flavor with nic added but I have my own bottle of nicotine I use 2 add . I noticed in US flavors come with nicotine added with not much cost so you might saved me a big headache with customs if I find a USA company .

Last edited by a moderator:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank u Magic , nice 2 know if I went with a flavor with nic added but I have my own bottle of nicotine I use 2 add . I noticed in US flavors come with nicotine added with not much cost so you might saved me a big headache with customs if I find a USA company .

As far as aware Bull City's flavors are merely flavors. We still need to buy the nicotine as an additive. And given current legalities going on here in the states it seems highly likely the Goober Mint will soon be taxing the daylight out of nicotine. Heartland Vapes sells a pre-mixed "base" juice, that is a juice crafted to common ratios say 50/50, 70/30, max vg, max pg with nicotine already added.

I bought from another company last time I bought though, They were located closer geographically. Not sure how much "stock piled" nicotine juice I have. It's not a hoarder's lot for sure, probably about a year's worth. Figure if I need to I'll resort to black labeled because frankly I do not think Goober Mint needs to be Nanny Mint.

And yes, I shake my head as my wife & I work for aspects of the Goober Mint. She works for the State in the employments division. I work for County as a custodian in public schools. We both have learned bureaucracy is simply a fancy word for bull shit.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Go down to the DIY section and check out the recipes and reviews there. I primarily use Flavorah (FLV) flavors, which are an ultra concentrate. It is rare that I use any one of their flavors above 1%. Bull City Flavors carries FLV.

Most of FlavourArt (FA) flavors are good in the 1-2% range.

I just happened to find this post in the DIY section from a guy whose flavor shop got closed down by the Ontario government. He's selling out all his inventory. https://vapingunderground.com/threa...eals-on-diy-supplies-only.306257/post-3244462

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I would suggest that you might be using such a high level of flavor in your single-flavor mixes that the flavors mute themselves. I can't think of a single flavor I'd use at above 10% in a single-flavor mix. And in my experience, steeping increases flavor up to a point, but then beyond that point the juice starts to fade some. Different flavors are optimal at different times, but I don't know that I've ever had a mix continue to improve by steeping for more than six months.

Perhaps you could try a mix or two at less than 10%? If it's a fruit or candy flavor (including non-custard vanillas), steep for a week or 10 days and try it then. If a custard, go for two weeks. Obviously, taste is subjective, but I'd start there. Just my two cents.

Tammie78

I was under impression the nicotine is what can causes issues with a long steep so I add it a month be4 I use my prepared vape juice as 4 VG I was told by a professional (mixed) it last two years for flavor and Vg if stored right many years. I will look into it more Nadalama thank u 4 your advice I always use 2 mix 10% and long steep brought me anyway a lot extra flavor but here on store sites Iwa and Flavorh u need low percent but rest 8-18% is advised so thought I would step up from just 10% I've been using but thank u I will try that.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Know if I go over 2/3% with any mints/menthol the flavoring leaves the juice nearly choking. Very few flavors do I go up to about 5% on. Then, as said taste is subjective, and me lacking sense of smell leaves me limited on tastes as well. S'why I'm hesitant to dole out more specific advice for a juice blend/mix. Never quite sure I'm the best person to ask.

Also, I'm a cracker man. I mean that in the sense of the lyrics from STP's song of the same name. "I'm thinking/when I'm thinking". I over think and oft cannot find a way clear out of my skull.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow... I don't understand how you would need to use such high % Also (just to be clear) do you mix VG, PG, nicotine and flavor? What VG/PG ratio. What nic strength? Please give us some more details. Do you measure by weight (like a scale) or volume (like a graduated cylinder and/or syringe)? In other words, how do you know you are using 10 % flavor? I apologize for so many questions (and not picking on you) and would like to help. Do you also vape commercial juices (pre-made)? Most taste too strong (and sweet) to me. Do you find them weak on flavor? Maybe you just need to use some sweetener (myself, I have got used to less sweet) Oh... almost forgot... welcome!

Tammie78

I use all measuring in mls VapeOn1960 with different size syringes and a beaker 4 measuring my PG/VG I use 50/50 mix for flavor concentrates that are not all that flavorful but also for throat hit also I use 70/30 when I want a lot smoke vapor and the flavor concentrate is strong enough to take all the VG . I am now using 0.5ml 100 ml (5mg) bottle of nic I was using 10 mg (1ml) in small devices but 4mg in my larger units that produce a lot of vapor. I use now with at least with fruits 10mls (10%) concentrate in 100ml bottle that is all one flavor I do not mix as in 5% this flavor 5% this flavor and so on I use just one flavor except 4 1 exception pear and green apple they taste good together . I use to only mix 10% flavor concentrate was not big flavor but i was happy with it took time 2 adjust after store bought so 10mls per 100 ml bottle must ad I purchased it in someone else's name that order 30ml concentrates) . Than after I bought more I like out of the of the 30ml bottles in large amounts ( I mix up concentrates favs in 1000ml bottles and 500 ml )of the fruits this time in my name placed order in my own name and 10% even after a lot in 6 months steeping had no flavor and bought all at same online store . Usually it happens only with fruit concentrates with licorice 5ml is enough but if want very robust strong flavor 10 % is a lot but can be done but now had to increase all other 2 15 % - 18% concentrate of other flavors (fruits) not knowing when the strength will change so every batch I do a sample with 2 week steep no matter how it went previous with same flavor and from same company . Keep in mind at this time when I bought enough to make the 1000 ml bottles in Canada fruits were on the governments mind to take them off the market so teens would not be enticed to try vaping so i think that may have been a factor . I am assuming mint , spearmint and cinnamon( Magic Mist ) are the same throat hit as licorice think its the triacetin that gives the hit in back throat with licorice anyways so maybe I will try them now I was contemplating trying those assuming may be similar 2 licorice as you mentioned in your reply 2 me . So if I left anything out or something i did not explain clearly Vape On just ask I will try my best and yes I started using sweeteners but sparingly its hard on coils if u go over board . I think that's what with store bought vape juice anyway did in all my coils because since mixing myself no clumpy brown/black crap on my coils anymore even when I am finished using them the wire goes be4 the cotton . I use 1 that is a very concentrate sweetener so need only few drops even in 120ml bottle SS by Cap... but I still rather tart flavors when it come to fruit but thank you for mentioning trying sweeteners Vape On thank you.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, if you are willing to try some other flavor profiles, like spice flavors, TFA Cinnamon Red Hots is quite strong (2-3% max) as is FA Clove (around 3%). Then there's Wonder Flavors Brazilian Coffee, if you like coffee vapes. I wouldn't use Brazilian Coffee at more than 1%, personally, and it will definitely need sweetener, but it might just taste crappy without some creams/chocolates/caramels with it. I've never vaped it standalone or even "black with sugar."

TFA Wintergreen is a good mint that holds up well at up to about 5%. TFA Peppermint is also initially good at about 4%, but it fades after a couple of weeks. I have some brand of Spearmint but haven't tried it yet.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Most fruits do not need to steep for a long period and will actually fade if steeped. This may explain why you use so high of a percentage of flavor in your mixes.

Try this: use mix 2% of your favorite fruit concentrate in 10ml of your base and vape it the next day as an experiment.

Tammie78

Maybe I did not explain Gopher_byrd I mix at 100mls each time 10% /10mls flavor if use 2% at 10mls and did that at my usual volume pg/vg 100mls when I mix I would be adding more 20% at 100mls if use your equation . It is because I only use 1 flavor I do not have or try mixes right now were you add around 5% each flavor say or less depending on strength of each 1 u are combining . If I am testing out the flavor be4 I make a 100ml/120ml I would use 1%/1ml of 10mls of vg/pg and than 10 mls in my 100ml if the flavor is not strong I use the full 10 mls in 100ml mix . I i was to mix a three flavor mix I use say roughly 3 mls of each flavor in 100 ml but think most people use between 3% and 5% of each concentrate but on a smaller scale were they play with it and use much lower count on the mls/% using weight scale testing out be4 mix a 100ml bottle . I am basing it all on what I mix at which is always 100mls or 120mls and than 1000ml bottles maybe that's the issue if I ever play with different flavors combine in say 3 per bottle I would use a weight scale instead of syringe's and beakers . Thank you Gopher I hope I didn't complicate it more

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Tammie78 , I'm a bit confused about your mixing (and you don't explain what is what) No offense... but what does " 1%/1ml mean"? Is that the nic or flavors? If it's nic, it would be like 10mg/ml but If you meant flavors then I am lost. I don't men to pick on you, but please get your terminology so we understand what you mean. Yes... if you have one, a scale is always better for flavors.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Maybe this will help:
For nic we use the term mg/ml (It is a ratio) For flavors we just use % (that is also a ratio but related to the total ml) Please just be more specific are we talking about nic, VG, PG or flavors? I so want to help you because you have a scale (you are half way there) I'm lucky because I'm really good at math... I can help.
I have mentioned this before, but different brands (and even different flavors of that brand) can use different % of flavors. That can be hardest thing... finding the % to use. I still struggle with that.
When using a scale (for flavors and PG)... a ml is very close to a gram (VG is heavier so it's better measure it by volume) Don't feel bad if I have confused you... I even confuse myself sometimes.

VU Sponsors