Become a Patron!

Looking for a new mod

emt_horton88

Member For 2 Years
Need some help guys!!! I have an Aegis X right now that I’ve had problems out of for months now. Looking to switch it up but not sure what to get.

I’ve always swore I’d never get another Smok product but the Scars are looking pretty good. The Sigelei humvee is a close second and then the vaporesso S series is also looking interesting.

I want to go with something durable and close to the “indestructible” like the scar or the X due to the type of work I do but I just can’t seem to find honest reviews on any of these mods.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What is your budget?
What features do you have to have?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The regular version Aegis is identical to the Aegis X apart from the size of the screen. AFAIK it is still your best bet if you need water proof, dust proof, and shock proof, BUT... if you don't need these three "extra-protective" features, then TBH just check out the Vaporesso GEN X mod.

Last edited:

emt_horton88

Member For 2 Years
What is your budget?
What features do you have to have?
Not wanting to spend more than probably $80. I just need the mod, not a kit. Pretty happy with my tank.

just want a decent sturdy mod with the kind of chip like what the X has. I noticed a difference with taking a hit from the X VS the legend and very much prefer the short ramp time on the X. Other than that I have no preference other than the short drawl time and something sturdy that will take a beating.

emt_horton88

Member For 2 Years
The regular version Aegis is identical to the Aegis X apart from the size of the screen. AFAIK it is still your best bet if you need water proof, dust proof, and shock proof, BUT... if you don't need these three "extra-protective" features, then TBH just check out the Vaporesso GEN X mod.
I’d like to at least have the shock proof feature more than anything. What’s the price point on the Gen X?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not wanting to spend more than probably $80. I just need the mod, not a kit. Pretty happy with my tank.

just want a decent sturdy mod with the kind of chip like what the X has. I noticed a difference with taking a hit from the X VS the legend and very much prefer the short ramp time on the X. Other than that I have no preference other than the short drawl time and something sturdy that will take a beating.
If you want something “sturdy” or rugged, I would say look at maybe used hexohms- those things are tanks. Or stick with something like the aegis class of mods. Plenty of things out now advertised as “shock proof” wismec has one, that seems to be well reviewed.
for roughy tough though, the hex has proven itself to me time and time again. New they can be considered fairly pricey, but I’ve seen them used for between 80-120. They have a lifetime warranty so you really can’t go wrong.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I’d like to at least have the shock proof feature more than anything. What’s the price point on the Gen X?

The GEN X is very lightweight and also is durable, it has an aircraft-grade milled aluminum body and uses reliable parts, but it is not "shock proof". Whereas the Aegis can be thrown off of a balcony from the 2nd floor onto a concrete floor and then it still works... but it weighs a lot heavier in comparison to the GEN X.

tank52086

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
My Aegis solo has been good me. Along those parameters you’d be looking at Aegis, Jackaroo or Humvee or maybe a Double Barrel. Good luck!

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For Rhino tuff durability its hard to beat the Aegis Legend. I have seen twice the durability. my son works as a bricklayer, he dropped his off a scaffold 2 stories high hit the ground and lived. Fellow railroad worker had his fall off the pickup truck tailgate, when he went back to get it a Euclid dump truck ran it over. His subohm tank got smashed but the Legend still works. Rubber got torn,outside cage got mangled but the mod still works!

kloudz

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For Rhino tuff durability its hard to beat the Aegis Legend. I have seen twice the durability. my son works as a bricklayer, he dropped his off a scaffold 2 stories high hit the ground and lived. Fellow railroad worker had his fall off the pickup truck tailgate, when he went back to get it a Euclid dump truck ran it over. His subohm tank got smashed but the Legend still works. Rubber got torn,outside cage got mangled but the mod still works!
I wonder if the fire button fires when in a pocket or in a cup holder bouncing around in a semi. How does it hold up to scratches? I've had this for 4 years and it's taken some abuse

Attachments

• 20210122_103744.jpg
    20210122_103744.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210122_103751.jpg
    20210122_103751.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 9

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wonder if the fire button fires when in a pocket or in a cup holder bouncing around in a semi. How does it hold up to scratches? I've had this for 4 years and it's taken some abuse
If your asking how the Aegis Legend holds up to scratches, it should because it has a rubber housing. As far as firing in a pocket, I believe you click the fire button 3 times to lock it.

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since you have an Aegis X, I'm assuming you want a dual battery mod, correct?

As far as Dual batteries go I'd suggest a couple:

Aegis Legend:
I worked construction ~2 years with one of them. It got dropped, smashed, everything. I gave it to a buddy last year to help him get off cigs, he's still using it today. The newer Zeus version is A LOT lighter too, since they used magnesium alloy in it instead of zinc alloy. Def get the version made with that material if possible.

Jackaroo Dual:
I've never owned one. But I own a couple of the single versions, one still NIB if you wanna buy it cheap :). The Single was built like a tank, even better than any Zeus I've ever owned/handled. As long as the battery door on the Jackaroo 2 is solid, that would be my #1 suggestion to you. Oh and the Jackaroo also uses the same magnesium alloy found in the Zeus Aegis Legend version.

If you dont think your mods have to be IP67 rated to hold up to your job (believe me...they dont), then you have other options...

Vaporesso Gen S or the Gen s Ultra (formerly the Gen X)
The Gen S is made of a very durable plastic material. I dunno what the heck it is, but it's damn strong while remaining damn light. It also is cosmetically durable, meaning you aren't gonna scratch/chip the outside of the mod very easily. The aluminum version is also very light and very durable (even more structurally durable than the regular version). However, it WILL show scratches much easier than any of the mods Ive suggested so far.

Vandy Vape Swell
If you can find one of these, they are superb. They're made of ABS plastic. I once had a Vandy mod made of the same ABS caught between a door jam and a heavy steel door closing (i dropped the mod while walking through the door with my hands full. The mod happily took the impact like a champ. One TINY piece of ABS plastic chipped off. The swell itself is also VERY light and compact, prob the smallest of all the mods I've suggested. Oh and the circuit board on the Swell is waterproof too!.

LMK if you're also interested in singles. I got plenty of opinions on them as well lol

Last edited:

VU Sponsors