Become a Patron!

Looking for advice

Greetings all, brand new to vaping and hoping for some friendly advice.

I quit smoking cigarettes (~15/day) and recently picked up a SMOK X8 kit (which has the X8 stick and TFV8 X-Baby tank) on advice of a friend to get me started.

I'm happy with the purchase but the coils don't seem to be lasting very long at all - used the stock in about a week and asked local shop worker for recommendation on coils and was given X-Baby X4's which are lasting even less. I just ordered some M2's and Q2's.

The advice I am looking for is a good tank and coil combination that will yield the best coil life. Insofar as I have come to understand, mesh coils seems to last the longest. Would it be worth it to pick up one of the following:

TFV12 Prince
" Baby Prince
" Prince Cobra
" Resa Prince

Just looking for best tank / coil combo that might last the longest. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I quit smoking cigarettes (~15/day) and recently picked up a SMOK X8 kit (which has the X8 stick and TFV8 X-Baby tank) on advice of a friend to get me started.

I'm happy with the purchase but the coils don't seem to be lasting very long at all - used the stock in about a week and asked local shop worker for recommendation on coils and was given X-Baby X4's which are lasting even less. I just ordered some M2's and Q2's.

The advice I am looking for is a good tank and coil combination that will yield the best coil life. Insofar as I have come to understand, mesh coils seems to last the longest. Would it be worth it to pick up one of the following:

TFV12 Prince
" Baby Prince
" Prince Cobra
" Resa Prince

Just looking for best tank / coil combo that might last the longest. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

My son recently got the GeekVape Aero Mesh Sub-Ohm Tank from MyVaporStore; he really enjoys it, and the mesh coil did seem to last a pretty good while. MyVaporStore also carries the replacement coils, for a reasonable price. He finally ended up just getting the coils at a local store, and they were pretty reasonably priced too.

Gratz on ditching the coffin nails, and welcome to VU! :hug:

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Freemax Pro Mesh single and dual mesh cols are getting good feedback for lasting 4+ weeks and flavor is great. I am using the dual mesh but only hit it a few times a day, little too much for me to use all day.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
That is an all in one device. The tank and coils were both built for that mod. Hence, you now have the best you are ever going to get on that device. As for coils.. sweet juices tend to gunk up your coils faster. My advice.. just keep buying the proper coils, since the tank is fairly decent from what I hear. Optionally.. buy a kit with rebuildable atomizer deck and make or buy your own coils.
Otherwise, you will be messing with ohms law and trying to stay within your mods limitations. Every post I have seen regarding replacing the coils with something else was negative. Nothing works better than the custom coils made for that device.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As for coils.. sweet juices tend to gunk up your coils faster. My advice.. just keep buying the proper coils, since the tank is fairly decent from what I hear. Optionally.. buy a kit with rebuildable atomizer deck and make or buy your own coils.

I'm quoting to second the advice, adding only a little bit. Smok coils are seeming to be in degradation recently. Some might consider that Smok has started upon a policy of not caring about quality. Here's a thought, some Smok coil users might want to consider a politely worded email with folks signing on to it. Let Smok know they need to bring their standard of quality back up to their once excellent level.

This has become quite an issue we're seeing a lot of here recently, it's not just you. Lots of folks are having trouble making Smok coils last. Yes, as pointed out sweeter juices can gunk up coils to a degree. I'm not buying that such is the full scope of the issue though. From my own experience using Smok, well Universal Smok/Kanger ProTank coils, I recall having them last at least a month prior to needing soaked in alcohol.

Now, we got people complaining the coils aren't lasting a few days to a week? Sorry that for me signals that somewhere there's manufacturing having an issue, old Joe Machinist might be napping in the break room. These coils are turned out on CMS (Computer Aided Manufacture/Machined Systems), meaning it takes someone with a keen eye to note when the machines get out of balance and nudge them back in line.

So yeah, I think a polite email with a few dozen or so folks signing it with a bit of an *ahem* in it might help Smok get back on the ball. "Look, we're your customers. Give us quality or we might be customers for somebody else." Business folks like that hate to hear you're thinking about taking your money somewhere else. Don't be nasty about it, just speak up and let them know quality needs to improve. Might even apply some touch of honor; "We're honored to be your customers, please honor us as valued so we may continue honoring you with our business."

Sorry if that seems a novel sized bit, had to say what I felt needed saying using however much it took.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm quoting to second the advice, adding only a little bit. Smok coils are seeming to be in degradation recently. Some might consider that Smok has started upon a policy of not caring about quality. Here's a thought, some Smok coil users might want to consider a politely worded email with folks signing on to it. Let Smok know they need to bring their standard of quality back up to their once excellent level.

This has become quite an issue we're seeing a lot of here recently, it's not just you. Lots of folks are having trouble making Smok coils last. Yes, as pointed out sweeter juices can gunk up coils to a degree. I'm not buying that such is the full scope of the issue though. From my own experience using Smok, well Universal Smok/Kanger ProTank coils, I recall having them last at least a month prior to needing soaked in alcohol.

Now, we got people complaining the coils aren't lasting a few days to a week? Sorry that for me signals that somewhere there's manufacturing having an issue, old Joe Machinist might be napping in the break room. These coils are turned out on CMS (Computer Aided Manufacture/Machined Systems), meaning it takes someone with a keen eye to note when the machines get out of balance and nudge them back in line.

So yeah, I think a polite email with a few dozen or so folks signing it with a bit of an *ahem* in it might help Smok get back on the ball. "Look, we're your customers. Give us quality or we might be customers for somebody else." Business folks like that hate to hear you're thinking about taking your money somewhere else. Don't be nasty about it, just speak up and let them know quality needs to improve. Might even apply some touch of honor; "We're honored to be your customers, please honor us as valued so we may continue honoring you with our business."

Sorry if that seems a novel sized bit, had to say what I felt needed saying using however much it took.

Good advice, but I'm not sure how effective. The Chinese have definitely embraced the "capital" part of capitalism, but I don't think they understand "competition" AT ALL. Their idea of supporting a business is probably something like, shoot everyone who buys something else. :facepalm:

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I have to say FT customer service has done well by me. The few tickets I've needed to open were resolved quickly, politely, and to my satisfaction.

Pony Tail

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
To the OP. I can vouch for the Free Max Mesh Pro. Best subohm tank out there in my opinion. I use rda's almost exclusively and that's the only tank that even comes close on flavor.

NOTE: Find a wattage that gives you good flavor and stay there because if you crank up the power too high on the mesh coils you'll burn 'em up.

Congrats on quitting the stinky sticks.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That is an all in one device. The tank and coils were both built for that mod. Hence, you now have the best you are ever going to get on that device. As for coils.. sweet juices tend to gunk up your coils faster. My advice.. just keep buying the proper coils, since the tank is fairly decent from what I hear. Optionally.. buy a kit with rebuildable atomizer deck and make or buy your own coils.
Otherwise, you will be messing with ohms law and trying to stay within your mods limitations. Every post I have seen regarding replacing the coils with something else was negative. Nothing works better than the custom coils made for that device.
This^^^ I have the device the OP is talking about and I only run the M2’s in it. I think they’re the coils designed for the device. All the other ones run on how many watts you push thru them(which generally runs from 50 watts and up).The M2 is for a device that doesn’t have variable wattage.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

TFV12 Prince
" Baby Prince
" Prince Cobra
" Resa Prince

I know this is an old post but I'm gunna reply anyway. I use these kinds of devices all the time. Another poster asked this same question a while back. I know that the Xbaby tank is a piece of sh-t (I have one). Your stick mod is fine tho. I suggested getting the Fireluke Mesh tank (Not the Pro) because I use one on a V8 Stick. It has better flavor, longer coil life, it hits instantly, and it hits hard. The other poster got one and was very happy with his.

Smok makes decent coils. Mine all work fine. A lot of the problems are from the juices on the market or user error. On my stick mods I also use-

TFV12 Prince with M4 Coil
TFV8 Big Baby with Baby Mesh coils
OBS Draco with M1 coil

Even the M2 .15Ω coils in a baby beast would be better than that Xbaby brother crap. I really think you'd be happy with a Fireluke Mesh tank on your XStick or whatever it's called.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My son recently got the GeekVape Aero Mesh Sub-Ohm Tank from MyVaporStore; he really enjoys it, and the mesh coil did seem to last a pretty good while. MyVaporStore also carries the replacement coils, for a reasonable price. He finally ended up just getting the coils at a local store, and they were pretty reasonably priced too.

Gratz on ditching the coffin nails, and welcome to VU! :hug:

Andria
This tank would work well to on a stick mod too I'm guessing.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This tank would work well to on a stick mod too I'm guessing.

Yeah, I think it would! He really likes his, and I do have confirmation that the replacement mesh coils are very reasonably priced at MVS -- I just ordered him a 5pk a few days ago, $13.99, and since he's not completely out yet, I just got regular 1st class, $2.99-- $16.98, and they should be here by Saturday.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Best advice I have is to start exploring building your own coils. It's not rocket science and pretty damn easy. Yes you'll screw up the first few times but you'll get it fairly quickly. The reward is not being dependent on the whims of Government regulations, quality control issues and tune to your own tastes. So......

Buy a coil making kit, fairly cheap and a good starter.
Buy some quality Sandvik wire, hell around $5 will give you enough wire for a year.
Get some organic cotton pads, around $12 of Koh gen Do is enough for well over a year.
Of course get a decent RTA.
Watch a few of the zillions of YouTube videos on building basic coils.

VU here is an excellent resource while learning.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Best advice I have is to start exploring building your own coils. It's not rocket science and pretty damn easy. Yes you'll screw up the first few times but you'll get it fairly quickly. The reward is not being dependent on the whims of Government regulations, quality control issues and tune to your own tastes. So......

Buy a coil making kit, fairly cheap and a good starter.
Buy some quality Sandvik wire, hell around $5 will give you enough wire for a year.
Get some organic cotton pads, around $12 of Koh gen Do is enough for well over a year.
Of course get a decent RTA.
Watch a few of the zillions of YouTube videos on building basic coils.

VU here is an excellent resource while learning.

A kit, huh? ROFL! My "kit" consisted of raiding my husband's tools for a number of drillbits, to find the size coil I liked. I did buy some ceramic tweezers, but have used them exactly once. A kit is just a way to spend money, when all you really need is a few drillbits (to find the size you like), some wire, some cotton, and above all, a way to check the resistance of whatever you build -- if the mod can tell you the resistance without needing to press the fire btn, that works just fine. If you need to press the fire btn just to see the resistance, then you need a dedicated ohm meter.

The only "major" (not really) purchase I've done for coil building is a 3" vise, to hold the heads while I mount the coil, rather than needing 3 or 4 hands and chasing the asshole things all over the countertop. A good vise is heavy enough to withstand the pressure of wrapping the leads around screws.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A kit, huh? ROFL! My "kit" consisted of raiding my husband's tools for a number of drillbits, to find the size coil I liked. I did buy some ceramic tweezers, but have used them exactly once. A kit is just a way to spend money, when all you really need is a few drillbits (to find the size you like), some wire, some cotton, and above all, a way to check the resistance of whatever you build -- if the mod can tell you the resistance without needing to press the fire btn, that works just fine. If you need to press the fire btn just to see the resistance, then you need a dedicated ohm meter.

The only "major" (not really) purchase I've done for coil building is a 3" vise, to hold the heads while I mount the coil, rather than needing 3 or 4 hands and chasing the asshole things all over the countertop. A good vise is heavy enough to withstand the pressure of wrapping the leads around screws.

Andria
Kits are cheap and provide tools to make building easier

AnkouSitan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I bought a coil master v2 and a ohms reader that will fire to preburn as well. 15 for the kit an 10 for the reader. Helpful without having to do it on a mod. If mesh is your thing you can get meshti cut yourself on the cheap as well.

VU Sponsors