Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
https://rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.com/2016/08/low-tar-cigarettes-had-merit-said.html

This line – that safer cigarettes are a deception perpetrated by the tobacco industry -- has been repeated so often that it is considered gospel by the American public. In fact, the scientific literature supports the relative safety claim and debunks the popular myth.

Research published in the 1970s documented that low-tar low-nicotine cigarettes were less hazardous than others. Articles from the American Cancer Society in respected medical journals played a prominent role in shaping consumers’ positive perception of these products.

In 1976 the Cancer Society published research (here) showing that light cigarettes were safer. In 1959-60, over a million people were enrolled by the Cancer Society in a prospective epidemiological study of cancer risk factors. Smokers were classified according to nicotine-tar content, high (2.0-2.7 milligrams nicotine and 26-36 mg tar) or low (less than 1.2 mg nicotine and less than 18 mg tar); detailed records were obtained for death rates and dates.

The study revealed that the death rate from all causes was 16% lower among smokers of low nicotine-tar cigarettes than among smokers of high nicotine-tar cigarettes. Similarly, low nicotine-tar smokers had a 14% lower death rate from heart attacks and a 26% lower rate from lung cancer. The authors concluded that “total death rates, death rates from coronary heart disease, and death rates from lung cancer were somewhat lower for those who smoked ‘low’ tar-nicotine cigarettes than for those who smoked ‘high’ tar-nicotine cigarettes.”
The research findings were extensively reported on by the media (example here).

Cancer Society researchers concluded: “The evidence from this study is consistent with evidence from epidemiologic studies indicating that death rates from lung cancer are lower among men who smoke low tar/nicotine cigarettes than among men who smoke the same number of high tar/nicotine cigarettes per day…”

Again, the results were widely reported by the national media, including the Wall Street Journal (here). Cancer Society president LaSalle D. Leffall, Jr., issued a harm reduction message, saying that “findings of the new study suggest a way for smokers to reduce their lung cancer risk by switching to low tar-nicotine cigarettes if they find it impossible to quit entirely.” Leffall noted that “the best way to escape the risk of lung cancer ‘is not to smoke at all…There is no safe cigarette.’”

By the 1980s, public health experts and cigarette manufacturers alike were optimistic about the prospects of a safer cigarette. Manufacturers introduced products with even lower levels of tar, which they called ultra-lights.

In 2004, Cancer Society researchers confirmed that smoking ultra-lights resulted in lower lung cancer rates than the full-tar cigarettes, but the rates for ultra-lights were the same as those for low-tar cigarettes (here).

The health advantages of light cigarettes over full-flavor brands were documented and promoted by the American Cancer Society in 1976 and 1979. Optimism about low-tar brands was later reversed by another Cancer Society report, which did not acknowledge or cite the earlier studies.

One fact is not debatable: The public health community conducted research that led to the promotion of light cigarettes as safer alternatives. Therefore, there is no industry conspiracy template for anyone to employ against e-cigarettes.

I had been looking for links to this info for a while now.

How many of you knew that it was actually the American Cancer Society along with "Public Health" that promoted "light" and "low tar" cigarettes?

The American Cancer Society has also been saying that safer cigarettes are a deception perpetrated by the tobacco industry over, and over, and over but just because you say it over and over doesn't make it true.

Tobacco control obviously hasn't figured this out yet.

They have also made Big Tobacco our enemy while hiding their financial interests with Big Pharma this whole time.

Big Tobacco would honestly rather NOT kill off half of their customers because like Pharma all they care about is money.

Full money is always better than half money which is why they are lining themselves up to take over the entire vaping industry as I type this - 5150

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
There's little question in my mind that low tar cigarettes were "safer" if one only smoked the same amount of them they would have with a "full flavor" variety. The trouble with 'em was that "low tar" also mean "low nicotine", which drove at least some people to smoking more of them, and if that happened, the benefit(s) became dubious at best. The brain has this funny way of getting exactly the nicotine level it wants/needs.

I did smoke "ultra lights" for several decades. Occasionally when I couldn't get my favored brand/type, I would buy a fuller-flavored alternative, for example Du Mauriers instead of Merit Ultra Lights when I spent time in Canada, or later, the ubiquitous Camel Blue instead of my preferred Camel Turkish Silver when I couldn't find the latter. On the occasions I did that, I tended to smoke fewer cigarettes, and/or didn't smoke 'em all the way down to the filter.

Remember these? I tried 'em once and found 'em totally unsatisfying. Of course full-flavor smokers felt the same way about my ultra-lights.

tar_18.jpg

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I smoked, I tried the low tar low nic cigs. I smoked twice as many and still was Jonesing for more Nic. The fact that the American cancer society and the FDA were in bed with Big Tobacco ain't news to me. The ACS gets plenty of money from Big Tobacco.

People need to realize that Big Tobacco is really big money and power. They are entwined in the government agencies deeply and as we all have seen, can't stand free market competition from less harmful alternatives like vaping. Big Tobacco hooks you, Big Pharma has the cure. A perfect incestuous relationship with the Federal and state governments reaping $$ off the top. Kinda looks like a Mob racket, no?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tried Carltons too, when I needed to switch from lights to ultra-lights to keep from hacking up a lung and a half with every drag. Like trying to smoke an empty straw. However, Virginia Slims ultra-lights were almost as good as the lights, and that's what I ended up smoking for more than 20 yrs.

I suspect that my very long-term use of ultra-lights is why I had so little nic tolerance when I first started vaping, that I had to go all the way down to 6mg before I could vape regularly -- I did end up going up to 10mg once the smokes were gone, but never could go over 10mg.

Lower tar and nicotine may be better for you, but one thing that's never really addressed is that lighter cigarettes are NOT less addictive -- in fact, I suspect my 20+ yr ultra-lights habit is WHY I required WTA -- everyone says, when you have cravings, to use more nicotine -- but I never could go over 10mg without horrible nausea, so that was no help at all -- but WTA got rid of cravings completely. Lights and ultra-lights are engineered to have less nicotine, BUT, they're still made of tobacco, so the full alkaloid cocktail is present -- even if the nicotine is lower, the MAOIs probably aren't.

Andria

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would believe that the alkaloids and MAOI's were higher in the ultra lights to keep people hooked.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would believe that the alkaloids and MAOI's were higher in the ultra lights to keep people hooked.

Quite possible -- since I never could use much nic without getting sick as a dog, but without the WTA, I never could have stayed smoke-free, and it took 15 months of determined steady systematic weaning to get off the crap.

It certainly enlightened me as to why the patch had been so utterly useless for me.

Andria

VU Sponsors