Become a Patron!

Madagascar Vanilla Bean Extract

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wanted to try my hand at making my own vanilla bean extract. There are a few threads out there but none really took the topic from start to finish. Here's what I did. Purchased Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Grade B from Beanilla. Split them down the center and diced them as small as I could. I then poured 30ml PG in an empty ejuice bottle and set it aside, shaking every few days for over a month. I then purchased a wine filter pad from a local brew shop. Had the choice of 8,6 and 1 micron. I choose the 6micron. I then cut out a small circular pad of the filter the size of the diameter of one of my 10ml syringes. Slid the pad into the syringe, pushed the plunger down onto it, ensuring there was a nice fit and filled it with some of the vanilla extract. I then pressed it through the filter. It passed through way easier than I had anticipated. And the resulting liquid was crystal clear! Now onto making som juice. I made a French Vanilla w/ 2% of the extract and could totally taste it. Potent stuff. It worked! The problem was I don't really love the flavor. While it is definitively a Vanilla it also has this kinda floral, oaky, bourbon type note that really doesn't work for most of my custard and fruit mixes that I make. Maybe good w/ some of the tobacco DIY'ers dunno. Kinda dissapointing. It did gunk up my coils fast, in just a few days. My reason for using the filter I did, but maybe the 1micron might improve its wear. I know there are many different types of regional Vanilla Beans and maybe the Madagascar is just unique in this taste. Anybody else have experience in this?

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Disclaimer: I have never tried this.

But, from what I have read from those who have done so, using the entire bean, pod and all, will result in a distasteful product. Split 'em, scrape 'em and use just the goody inside, just as you would when cooking. You should then have a product that won't produce those 'off' flavors you're describing and, as always, above all, have fun with it!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bet that homemade extract would be awesome in some baked goods. ;)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to buy a Vanilla eJuice, which was sweet and brownish, that would gunk up my coils rather quick.

I wonder, besides utilizing a finer filter, if heating the PG with the scraped out "goody" part would produce an even better flavor concentrate. Maybe even reducing it, with a soft boil. That would help in not having to use as much in a mix. Therefore, it might avoid gunking up the coils that quick. I always wanted to try making my own Vanilla flavor, but never got to it.

Let us know of your progress.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've wondered the same thing, Neunerball but have yet to try it.

I'm no chef, EarnestAccord, but have managed restaurants a passion for cooking. As I said, I'm passing on information I have only read but have seen it mentioned a couple of times.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I saw the same info on vape specific Vanilla extractions that said to just use the seeds, but thought I knew better from culinary applications that its usually just so you don't have to strain later. I did reread the description of Madagascar Vanilla Beans:

Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans are superior, with flavor and aromatic qualities that make these beans the most popular and sought after vanilla variety. The flavor is rich, dark and creamy with an overwhelming sweet, buttery aroma. These are well suited for many baking recipes, drinks and desserts. If you are trying to decide where to buy vanilla beans then look no further! We know you will agree that our Bourbon Vanilla Beans from Madagascar are the best in the world! Available in Wholesale and Bulk amounts.
Now compare that to Tahitian:
This is the real deal! Tahitian vanilla is incredible, with an aroma that is floral with tones of ripe fruit. The flavor is rich of cherry-chocolate, licorice and caramel. Hands down our favorite!
So I'm on the fence, will probably do a seed only extract and if that doesn't work will try Tahitian. If that doesnt work the I'm guessing something is going arry when the extract hit the hot coils.... I'll keep you updated.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I've wondered the same thing, Neunerball but have yet to try it.

I'm no chef, EarnestAccord, but have managed restaurants a passion for cooking. As I said, I'm passing on information I have only read but have seen it mentioned a couple of times.
I'm no chef either, although my wife stopped cooking, 'cause she thinks I'm a 5 star chef. I'm just a hobby chef, so I'm doing the cooking, my wife washes the dishes. That's fine with me! However, my brother is a chef, so is my uncle. My uncle ran three restaurants in Washington D.C., shortly before his retirement, he ran the cafeteria of the German Embassy. One time, while staying with my uncle for vacation, I had to cook for his youngest kids, two days in a row, and they loved my cooking. They even told my uncle about it. When I left to travel home, he told me: "If you are looking for a job, there will be an opening here (in the kitchen) for you!". On special holidays, my mother in law is expecting at least some side dishes prepared by me. In addition, whenever she comes into town, she drops by with some Tupperware, 'cause she knows, we usually have leftovers.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those kinda sound like sales pitches rather then just descriptions. You might consider cross-referencing.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's why I like to use the reply option, in order to avoid confusion. :)

However, Madagascar Vanilla is the best Vanilla bean you can get.

I know about the damn reply button. One time. One lousy time and I get called down on it. :D

I agree about the Madagascar vanilla but then I vape kitchen juice so what do I know?

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
An update here, shelved that French Vanilla that I had added 2% Madagascar Vanilla extract to and forgot about it. Revisisted it after thanksgiving dinner, a little over a month after I initially blended it and..well steeping is legit.... The majority of those off flavors that I didn't enjoy are gone. In their place are some nutty maybe even bread crust type notes and in all a much deeper vanilla note. I am pleasantly surprised. While these flavors work with the brighter notes in my straight French Vanilla I think they'll shine in some of my creamier recipies like Caramel Custard or French Vanilla Cream.. Hope this helps someone.

I used to buy a Vanilla eJuice, which was sweet and brownish, that would gunk up my coils rather quick.

I wonder, besides utilizing a finer filter, if heating the PG with the scraped out "goody" part would produce an even better flavor concentrate. Maybe even reducing it, with a soft boil. That would help in not having to use as much in a mix. Therefore, it might avoid gunking up the coils that quick. I always wanted to try making my own Vanilla flavor, but never got to it.

Let us know of your progress.
You can't boil PG down in order to reduce like yu would water.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've made various versions of French Vanillas, Vanilla Custards, Butter Toffee and Caramel Apple. All of them worked, but are IMHO, unvapeable until 2weeks aging. To be honest I've kind of given up on it as it's very potent, drastically changes the flavor profile and is a coil killer. Again, I really think there should be some exploration from the NET and tobacco flavoring folks.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Again, I really think there should be some exploration from the NET and tobacco flavoring folks.

Of which I am neither, but your experimentation has nonetheless provided data and that's appreciated. It seems like there oughta be a way and, thanks to you, there's one less method to try. :)

I've gotta ask, though, in your opinion, do you think diluting your infusion might yield a useable flavoring or is whole-bean extraction just a bad idea?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've made various versions of French Vanillas, Vanilla Custards, Butter Toffee and Caramel Apple. All of them worked, but are IMHO, unvapeable until 2weeks aging. To be honest I've kind of given up on it as it's very potent, drastically changes the flavor profile and is a coil killer. Again, I really think there should be some exploration from the NET and tobacco flavoring folks.

The problem with almost any type of DIY extraction is the sugars you get, (but don't want).

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Of which I am neither, but your experimentation has nonetheless provided data and that's appreciated. It seems like there oughta be a way and, thanks to you, there's one less method to try. :)

I've gotta ask, though, in your opinion, do you think diluting your infusion might yield a useable flavoring or is whole-bean extraction just a bad idea?
I think I miss-wrote. When I wrote "strong" I meant "novel" as in it really stands out in the mix. Definitly a Vanilla, but different. So I don't think just decreasing it's % to a fractional would do much, maybe.
The problem with almost any type of DIY extraction is the sugars you get, (but don't want).
Is this the reason why some use alcohol? Doesn't absorb sugars?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think I miss-wrote. When I wrote "strong" I meant "novel" as in it really stands out in the mix. Definitly a Vanilla, but different. So I don't think just decreasing it's % to a fractional would do much, maybe.

Is this the reason why some use alcohol? Doesn't absorb sugars?

Pretty sure it will still extract the natural sugars that are in the plants.
At least when not using the more exotic methods.
And that's not even considering the "other unknown things" that get extracted as well.
Might be fine for eating, but vaping IDK.
I think that's why flavor companies are using mostly flavor molecules instead, ie., (artificial flavors).
Although some have sugar, (or something), that causes coil gunking too.
Using smaller amounts mixed in with regular flavorings does help to reduce the gunking somewhat.
But many complain about NETs being hard on coils also.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm willing to weigh the degree of coil gunking against the degree of enjoyment I'd get from doing the extractions (a lot) and using them (a whole lot). 'Thing is, I have a list of recipes I'm anxious to try and a fairly large (though not Teresian) collection of flavorings so I have a lot on my plate.

Obviously, I need a bigger plate.

I believe that alcohol extraction might be the best "transformation" of flavor which you then take and infuse it into PG. I also have a tendency to lean towards the gunking of coils is related to the percentage of flavoring you have in your juice. That is why you see the comments on the higher the vg the more susceptible you are to gunking.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks SailCat

Yer welcome for whatever in my never ending ramblings which you found of use or enlightening in some manner or other. :D

I ,ake max VG liquids with very little gunking problem although I am aware that the opposite i the prevailing opinion.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And at what percentage of flavor are you up to in the max VG?

That depends on the flavoring and the brand. In general terms, more for FW, f'rinstance and much lass for FA. I', also (perhaps in the minority) a believer in steeping (aging) of max VG liquids rather than ramping up the amount of flavoring.

Please be aware that while I've been at it a little while, there are DIYers here are really clever and have a depth of knowledge that is remarkable. The coolest thing that I've observed of late (in the past few months) in the community is a breadth of information with regard to multiple brands of flavorings.

You'll have fun and learn a lot here!

Remind me to tell you something funny one of these days , Sail Cat. But yes, you are correct.

Hey Earnest Accord when it comes to the most preferred Vanilla beans, Pastry Chefs prefer the Tahitian Vanilla over the Mad.Van.. Reason being is the floral aspect. Also when you say you made French Vanilla can you explain more please. Afterall French vanilla refers to ice cream and that translates to the making of a creme anglaise as a base whereas others don't use egg in their base. So it's basically the egg in the custard.
Which leads me to my next hypothesis, maybe if you coupled your Vanilla infusion with some type of "cream" I bet your vanilla would be vapeable sooner.Just giving my two cents. Please feel free to give me change.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Remind me to tell you something funny one of these days , Sail Cat. But yes, you are correct.

Which leads me to my next hypothesis, maybe if you coupled your Vanilla infusion with some type of "cream" I bet your vanilla would be vapeable sooner.Just giving my two cents. Please feel free to give me change.

If your reference to 'cream' is that of a dairy base, that wouldn't be an option when the final product is one that could be vaporized. Ar least not for more than a moment before you'd hear the coil begging for mercy.

Funny story reminder PM sent. :D

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm sorry I wasn't clear...Cream meaning flavor such as Bavarian cream et. al.
As far as the funny story...I'll get to it.

Ah, so you're thinking of adding a cream flavoring after the extraction. I took it to mean in the process. :rolleyes:

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hey Earnest Accord when it comes to the most preferred Vanilla beans, Pastry Chefs prefer the Tahitian Vanilla over the Mad.Van.. Reason being is the floral aspect. Also when you say you made French Vanilla can you explain more please. Afterall French vanilla refers to ice cream and that translates to the making of a creme anglaise as a base whereas others don't use egg in their base. So it's basically the egg in the custard.
This is one of many iterations of my French Vanilla recipe, all TPA:
French Vanilla Cream.... 3%
French Vanilla ................4%
Cotton Candy..................1%
DX Bavarian Cream........1%
M. Vanilla Bean Extract...2%
Vanilla Bean Gelato.........2%

I'm not making my French Vanilla flavor from scratch, do tell if you know how, but I just use "French Vanilla" flavoring that already has the yolk and cream flavors included. Added a bit more cream per my personal preference. The steep time is not my main issue with it. I get that you're trying to draw parrallels between culinary tech. and ejuice, but you kind of lost me with the jump from French Vanilla Ice Cream production requiring a Creme Anglaise step, where most of the egg notes originate, to adding a cream flavoring to my extract helping to reduce aging.. ?

Last edited:
Meaning the only time you hear " French vanilla" is when it comes to ice cream . The ice cream base is basically a custard or otherwise known as creme anglaise. But as you said you were referring to ejuice. So if you don't mind i'll just sit in the corner with my foot in my mouth. I'm sure glad i just washed it.lol
If i had the molecules I would tell and share. Now as for the extract that is your own extraction?

Hey brother long time no chat. Do you want 3 different formulas for awesome vanilla e liquid?
If so let me know.
now to tell you something funny...I was the flavorist at Molecule labs for 5 years. So I have a little insight on flavors and all.
And by the way your process of vanilla extraction in my opinion should have left the beans whole.

This is one of many iterations of my French Vanilla recipe, all TPA:
French Vanilla Cream.... 3%
French Vanilla ................4%
Cotton Candy..................1%
DX Bavarian Cream........1%
M. Vanilla Bean Extract...2%
Vanilla Bean Gelato.........2%

I'm not making my French Vanilla flavor from scratch, do tell if you know how, but I just use "French Vanilla" flavoring that already has the yolk and cream flavors included. Added a bit more cream per my personal preference. The steep time is not my main issue with it. I get that you're trying to draw parrallels between culinary tech. and ejuice, but you kind of lost me with the jump from French Vanilla Ice Cream production requiring a Creme Anglaise step, where most of the egg notes originate, to adding a cream flavoring to my extract helping to reduce aging.. ?

Hey brother long time no chat. Do you want 3 different formulas for awesome vanilla e liquid?
If so let me know.
now to tell you something funny...I was the flavorist at Molecule labs for 5 years. So I have a little insight on flavors and all.
And by the way your process of vanilla extraction in my opinion should have left the beans whole.

VU Sponsors