Become a Patron!

making blueberry "heavier"

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I came up with a blueberry cake recipe based on my red velvet cake mix that I need some help with. Here's what I have so far:

Blueberry (CAP)
5%
Blueberry Extra (TPA) 2%
Cheesecake Graham Crust (TFA) 2%
Cake Batter Dip (FW) 1%
Cream Cheese Icing (LA) 4%
DX Bavarian Cream (TPA) 3%

What it ends up tasting like is really good, but the blueberry is a really light tasting fruit. I am trying to make it more prominent, without being overpowering. The first batch I made had just FW blueberry, and 1% FA bilberry, but that was not at all what I wanted.

most recently, I decided to replace the graham crust with yellow cake. But I haven't tried that yet.
If anyone has an idea on how to get this to be a heavier, cakier vape, and make the blueberry taste deeper and more ripe, I'd appreciate it. I have thought about adding a little TFA Ripe Strawberry

Last edited:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
TFA Blueberry Wild is different too, might want to try that one if you haven't already.
Or add just a little FE Blackberry, or CAP Blackberry, either one 0.5%.
Cake is a tough one tho, I suspect the new FA Nonna's Cake might be great for this.
Best to hope for atm would be some FA Cookie, INW Biscuit, or CAP Sugar Cookie IMO.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got FA cookie and INW biscuit. Would you recommend adding them, or replacing something with them? I have heard good things about FE blackberry. I only have TFA though. I'll give it a shot, but I have heard FE was much better

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'd lower both the Cream Cheese Icing and Bavarian Cream to 1% each.
TFA Blackberry is the only one I don't have, lol, and possibly others too.
But VZ-SC and FE are the best so far, but real strong when used at 2%.
I'd try 2% FA Cookie in one, then 1-2% Biscuit in another, and same for the Sugar Cookie.
You can mix in a little Yellow Cake with each of them too, 1-2%.
Or CAP Cake Batter but it's best to keep that one low, 0.5%.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I avoid CAP cake batter because of diketones, but I do use FW cake batter dip, which I based this recipe off of (Just took out the TFA red velvet cake).

Also, I tend to mix by weight. I've had some issues in the passed, but only with FA flavors.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I avoid CAP cake batter because of diketones, but I do use FW cake batter dip, which I based this recipe off of (Just took out the TFA red velvet cake).

Also, I tend to mix by weight. I've had some issues in the passed, but only with FA flavors.

I didn't see any Red Velvet Cake in the recipe above?
But I hated that flavor when I did try it once:D.

Think I'd try using only one Blueberry, like CAP, but you can go higher too, if needed.
Till you find the one you like best anyway.
TFA Blueberry Wild I've used up to 10% but have since backed down to 5%.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry about the confusion. The original had 8% DX red velvet cake instead of the blueberry, and cheesecake graham crust instead of cake batter. everything else I kept the same between the 2 recipes. I can see why you may not like it. It's a very strong and distinct flavor, and I'm starting to think that it is exactly what is giving me the texture I want.

I have some blueberry wild that I haven't found a recipe for. I'll give it a shot in my next mix

Last edited:

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I came up with a red velvet cake recipe that I need some help with. Here's what I have so far:

Blueberry (CAP)
5%
Blueberry Extra (TPA) 2%
Cheesecake Graham Crust (TFA) 2%
Cake Batter Dip (FW) 1%
Cream Cheese Icing (LA) 4%
DX Bavarian Cream (TPA) 3%

What it ends up tasting like is really good, but the blueberry is a really light tasting fruit. I am trying to make it more prominent, without being overpowering. The first batch I made had just FW blueberry, and 1% FA bilberry, but that was not at all what I wanted.

most recently, I decided to replace the graham crust with yellow cake. But I haven't tried that yet.
If anyone has an idea on how to get this to be a heavier, cakier vape, and make the blueberry taste deeper and more ripe, I'd appreciate it. I have thought about adding a little TFA Ripe Strawberry
I've had a long-standing issue with getting the right blueberry weight/intensity and have been working on a blueberry cake for a while. The secret ingredients are cap sugar cookie v2, fw tres leches, and combo of flavorah blueberry muffin and fa bilberry, which go into a recipe with some others. I'll post it soon, hopefully. I may already have... can't remember. It's just not at my fingertips ATM. Good Luck!

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried FA bilberry. It's great in some recipes, but I find that it makes the blueberry taste too sweet and light for what I'm looking for in this mix. That's why it was the first ingredient to go when I started adjusting.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing what you came up with. I just mixed up one recipe with IWA biscuit. It's pretty good, but I used TFA blackberry, and it didn't come out perfect. I'm waiting on my CAP blackberry to come in the mail to give that a try instead

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bilberry in small amounts in combination with FLV Blueberry Muffin is really different from Bilberry alone, or even from Bilberry with various creams and/or cookies I've tried. For me, they work beautifully to balance each other. I kind of hate to think of you giving up on Bilberry... If it helps, FLV B.M. is not very sweet and is a bit on the heavy side. Not what I would call dark or bitter, by any stretch, but it's really solid somehow. My guess is that it almost definitely has diacetyl or acetyl propionyl in it, however--FYI. I'm moving this week, but I'll definitely post details when I'm more organized.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't given up on it entirely. I just haven't found a specific use for it that I absolutely love. I'm pretty new to DIY. I bought a bunch of HIC recipe's and liked about 1/2 of them (granted he made them specifically to be mixed by volume, and I mix by weight. I haven't made all of the adjustments yet). And I have found a few clones online that I like. But I am no expert on how to create my own recipes without starting with someone else's base

I checked BCV and FLV BM doesn't look like it have any diketones in it. But they are out of stock at the moment

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It would be nice if you were right about that. You may be! Still, just because a flavor doesn't have a "caution" warning doesn't mean it's without baddies. There is more info available to re-sellers for some flavors than others, so they do the best they can about providing warnings, based on what information they have.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've noticed that. I started off getting my flavors from Wizard Labs, but BCV had warnings on some flavors that WL didn't. So I'm sure that another vendor, or somewhere has more info than BCV. It's tough because e-liquid-recipe.com started posting a caution for TFA pear and FA lemon sicily, while no re-seller seems to have the same cautions

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
8%DX? wow thats a lot.....I have red velvet cake and dx red velvet cake it seemed to me that the DX was the dark background thickness essence of the red velvet and the red velvet cake had more of the cake taste to it??I may be very wrong im not sure but I used about 1.5-2 % red velvet cake and like .25-.75 of the DX red velvet ....came out nice, still strong before steep though its such a rich flavor

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know it seems like a lot. And it s a very distinct taste. I may cut it down a little bit (maybe 6%) to see what it is like, but as it stands, it's pretty nice for my taste. I like that super thick cake essence it gives. It's definitely not al ADV, but it's nice at night when I want something that isn't fruity at all. My other pastry vape is an apple pie mix. It's nice, but I'm not a giant fan of cinnamon all of the time, so this gives a nice contrast. I switch between the 2 in the afternoon.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
really wish I had that cream cheese icing thats another I am gettin on my next order....I use lower percentages anyway as alot of my mixes dont even have nicotine in them, makes things a bit cheaper too:D I try and switch to the nic tanks when in the mood and just enjoying flavors when not....So I have to tone done a lot of recipes I find anyway....Have you tried red velvet cake non dx version before? I thought they had to be a combo when I ordered to get the whole effect(and COMPLETELY forgot the icing...) and was curious of anyone elses thoughts on them

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
HIC's 'pick your own fruit scones' might be worth looking at. He suggests a blueberry/lemon combo in there that works great and utilises FA bilberry wonderfully. If you haven't tried it I'd suggest giving it a go - might give you some ideas. To me it really does taste like a blueberry scone with lemon icing, or even more like a lemon slice, with nice strong blueberry!

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried it. Like I said earlier though, I mix by weight, and his are specifically made for volume mixing. I really wanted to try his Toucan cereal, but it tastes like sprite when I mix it. I will try it again when I have the chance. I only have so many syringes, and I like to make sure they are completely cleaned and dry before re-using them, so volume mixes are a slower process for me.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
this looks like something I would vape . if I were to adjust this I would change out the TFA blueberry for a little VZ blueberry. I think you might like that a little better in this recipe. looks good

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know VZ. What brand is that? How strong is it? And do you know if they are diketone free?

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
bull city has a deal on em right now http://www.bullcityvapor.com/blueberry-sc/ as far as diketone free I couldnt say for sure but given the above ingredients i wouldnt think it would matter lol. I wouldnt trust FW or LA about anything because FW has been know to lie and LA just doesnt care about vaping and what people are trying to do with them. they will never do any inhalation testing on them ever. .. TFA DX only means it uses the other stuff thats debatable if its not just as bad or worse . If inhalation risks are a concern I would stick with FA only

the flavor is a nice strong flavor and will hold up with any flavor combination and would taste really good with this :)

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ever since finding out about HIC's, I've been trying to use more and more FA. My second choice was CAP (Can they be trusted?), and TFA third.
I know LA doesn't care, so that icing is a toss-up whether it's good or bad. Probably bad come to think of it. I didn't know that FW lied a lot. I assumed I could trust them when some flavors are listed with cautions and others aren't. I'll be more careful.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've noticed that. I started off getting my flavors from Wizard Labs, but BCV had warnings on some flavors that WL didn't. So I'm sure that another vendor, or somewhere has more info than BCV. It's tough because e-liquid-recipe.com started posting a caution for TFA pear and FA lemon sicily, while no re-seller seems to have the same cautions

It sounds like you've got a good sense of how hard it is to be sure what's in flavors. Even with careful reading and trying to keep up, we can only be so sure about these ingredients. I feel sure certain vendors (BCV, for instance) give as much info as they have/know for certain. But we can't really expect resellers to go too far out of their way to caution buyers about information that only might be true.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Very true. I wish the makers would test like some really reputable juice venders. But you can only hope for so much. I try to be as cautious as I can. And in some instances, I let my guard down if it's only for a super tiny amount (eg. I use .5% TFA peach in my pink starburst recipe. When I get a chance, I'll make it with FA peach, but I am certain it will change the profile).

I get the vast majority of my stuff from BCV because they have the most comprehensive caution lists from everywhere I've looked so far.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
btw., if you really are wondering which manufacturer you can trust, I am pretty sure Flavour Art is the only one who makes any sort of promise/provides data supposedly demonstrating that everything is diketone free. This applies to their ecig line, only.

I hadn't heard the caution about the two TFA flavors you mentioned, but you can check on the TFA site--look for the lists of flavor components they have for many (not all) flavors. TFA goes out of their way to be transparent, so I'd guess (without looking myself) that if there is a caution popping up on ELR it may have to do with something in a flavor compound list that (recently?) appeared on the TFA site.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've only seen that warning on e-liquid-recipe.com. No vender seems to have it on file. So it's probably just a mistake that hasn't been fixed in months. FA lemon sicily also has a caution message on ELR, but I've checked that out, and it doesn't seem to be founded.

FA is the only one I know I can trust for sure. CAP and TFA make an effort to come out with DX or V2's of their flavors, so I like to think they are at least safer.

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've only seen that warning on e-liquid-recipe.com. No vender seems to have it on file. So it's probably just a mistake that hasn't been fixed in months. FA lemon sicily also has a caution message on ELR, but I've checked that out, and it doesn't seem to be founded.

FA is the only one I know I can trust for sure. CAP and TFA make an effort to come out with DX or V2's of their flavors, so I like to think they are at least safer.
I believe the warning re: lemon Sicily is due to its potential as a 'tank cracker' rather than a health related warning.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's a thought. All of my tanks except my ehpro Squape R are pyrex, so I don't usually worry about those flavors.

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's a thought. All of my tanks except my ehpro Squape R are pyrex, so I don't usually worry about those flavors.

Yup, I've never had a problem with tanks cracking either - E-liquid-recipes.com use the same warning symbol for tank crackers and questionable ingredients though.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe thats why TFA peach has the symbol. I didn't realize they did that for tank crackers

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe thats why TFA peach has the symbol. I didn't realize they did that for tank crackers
If you go on the page for each specific flavour on there it should have the warning symbol near the top with a bit of text next to it saying what the warning is.

I just tried to have a look myself for you but can't seem to find any warning sign next to TFA peach.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
sorry, I meant pear. I had peach on my mind since I have been trying to find something to do with

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
sorry, I meant pear. I had peach on my mind since I have been trying to find something to do with

Yup, just says it's been reported as a tank cracker. Nothing there mentioning questionable ingredients! :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
flavorconcentrates blueberry is the best I have used. Natural and does not go wonky or perfumy if you use more, just get more blueberry.

Amour juice

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
really wish I had that cream cheese icing thats another I am gettin on my next order....I use lower percentages anyway as alot of my mixes dont even have nicotine in them, makes things a bit cheaper too:D I try and switch to the nic tanks when in the mood and just enjoying flavors when not....So I have to tone done a lot of recipes I find anyway....Have you tried red velvet cake non dx version before? I thought they had to be a combo when I ordered to get the whole effect(and COMPLETELY forgot the icing...) and was curious of anyone elses thoughts on them
Yes I did the red velvety with cream cheese icing .it was terrible ..a friend gave a recipe red velvet , yellow cake , cream cheese icing .. But there's more to this I just need adjustments ..

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My recipe uses cake batter dip instead of yellow cake. You might like that a little better, but I can definitely see how red velvet is not a flavor everyone could enjoy

VU Sponsors