Mario Movie Producer Suggests Chris Pratt Won't Be Doing an Italian Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Mario movie co-producer Chris Meledandri has suggested that Chris Pratt's performance as the main character won't be using Mario's usual accent, and that his chosen voice is "phenomenal".

Speaking to TooFab, Meledandri was asked about the divisive casting choice, replying, "All I can tell you is the voice that he's doing for us in Mario is phenomenal. Yeah, I can't wait for people to hear it."

With regard to that performance, he suggested that Mario's normal tones might not be what we should go in expecting: "We cover [that accent] in the movie, So you'll see we definitely nod to that – but that's not the tenor of the performance throughout the film."

Asked about the response to Pratt being asked to play a character traditionally depicted as Italian, Meledandri said: "Well, as an Italian American myself, I understand. You know, I understand the comments. Charlie Day, who's playing Luigi, actually comes from Italian heritage. Yeah so that's our nod."

Pratt was cast alongside Anya Taylor-Joy as Peach, Charlie Day as Luigi, Jack Black as Bowser, Keegan-Michael Key as Toad, Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong, Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek, Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong, and Sebastian Maniscalco as Foreman Spike. Mario video game voice actor Charles Martinet will appear in at least one cameo role.

The animated movie, being created by Despicable Me studio Illumination, is scheduled to hit theaters on December 21, 2022. The project was originally announced in 2018, with both Illumination CEO Chris Meledandri and Super Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto attached as producers.

Nintendo is also exploring animation projects beyond Super Mario, and early reports suggest Seth Rogen might be getting his own Donkey Kong movie.

Joe Skrebels is IGN's Executive Editor of News. Follow him on Twitter. Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors