Martin Freeman Opens Up About Making Black Panther 2 Without Chadwick Boseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Martin Freeman, who played Everett Ross in Black Panther, has opened up about making Black Panther: Wakanda Forever without the late Chadwick Boseman.

Speaking to Collider, Freeman shared that, while it wasn't easy to return to set without Boseman, there are so many stories to tell in Wakanda and characters to build upon that moving forward with a sequel made sense.

"It was strange, that side of it," Freeman said. "On the one hand, you're making the film that you're there to make, and there are scores and scores of people on set, joined in this endeavor to make the film. But there's also no question that, at the heart of it, there's quite a gap now, and you felt it.

"With full respect to Ryan Coogler and everybody else, who's sweating and bleeding to get this thing done properly, it was fun. It was enjoyable. I was in and out of it quite quickly, I think. But I like playing Everett Ross. He's a very fun character to play. He's nicely simpatico for the story. He's a good guy. But it was odd. Of course, it was odd with Chadwick [Boseman] not being there. There's no way around that.

"I think everyone would find it pretty strange and sad, but at the same time, life things don't just end. It's not like, ‘Well, that's happened, so we just all have to go off and never do it again.’ But it was odd. When he passed, I thought, ‘Okay, well maybe there just won't be another one.’ But there are still other stories to tell within that world and other great characters. I think, and I hope that we've made a good film. I trust Ryan Coogler a lot.”

Freeman originally signed on to do three films - Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther, and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - but he loves that being part of the MCU means you can be called back at a moment's notice.

"I love being surprised and being contacted and having them go, ‘Do you wanna come and do this thing?’ It's just fun," Freeman said. "It's a nice world to dip your toe in and to be able to have the freedom to come in and out, which is perfect for me.

"I don't love being on the same thing, all the time. I don't love that. I'm not saying anything particularly surprising there. I think people know that I like going and having an adventure over there, and then coming back, and then going over there and doing that. That feels very, very lucky to me, that I get to do that.”

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is set to be released in theaters on November 11, 2022. For more, check out Marvel Comics has handled Black Panther without T'Challa, how the film was reshaped and will be respectful of the loss of Boseman, and director Ryan Coogler saying Boseman "wouldn't have wanted us to stop."

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Adam Bankhurst is a news writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter
@AdamBankhurst and on Twitch.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors