Martin Scorsese On 'Regret' That He Wasn't Able To Work With Ray Liotta Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Today, in an essay penned for The Guardian, Martin Scorsese wrote a touching tribute to Ray Liotta. In it, he opened up about his regret at not being able to collaborate with him again following their work together in Goodfellas.

Liotta, also known for his role as GTA Vice City’s Tommy Vercetti, died May 26 of this year. In his essay, Scorsese wrote that the two had “many plans to work together again but the timing was always off, or the project wasn’t quite right. I regret that now.”

In his musings, Scorsese described Liotta as “fearless” and praised his ability to be a part of the team. He said, “On Goodfellas, we were working improvisationally in most scenes, and many members of the team had known each other and worked together for years, including my mother and my father. Into that walked the new guy, Ray Liotta, and he never missed a beat. It felt like we’d worked together for years.”

Scorsese also praised Liotta’s performance as the divorce lawyer in Marriage Story and said “he’s genuinely scary in the role, which is precisely why he’s so funny – I remember feeling that I wanted to work with him again at this point in his life, to explore the gravity in his presence, so different from the young, sprightly actor he was when I met him.”

Liotta’s passing has been mourned by much of the entertainment industry. Scorsese ends his piece by saying, “I wish I’d had the chance to see him just once more, too – to tell him just how much the work we did together meant to me. But maybe he knew that. I hope so.”

Liotta got his big break playing ex-convict Ray Sinclair in Something Wild. He’d recently seen his career get revitalized with his role in The Sopranos spin-off film The Many Saints of Newark. In the film, he played two very different twin brothers - “Hollywood Dick” Moltisanti and Salvatore “Sally” Moltisanti.

Casey is a freelance writer for IGN. You can usually find him talking about JRPGs on Twitter at @caseydavidmt.

Blogroll credit: Vincent Sandoval / Getty Images

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors