Marvel Finally Announces a Mandalorian Comic, But There’s a Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Nearly two years after Lucasfilm Press first teased new comics and novels tied to The Mandalorian, the Disney+ series is finally getting a comic book tie-in. There's just one catch. Marvel's Star Wars: The Mandalorian is an adaptation of the show rather than a new story starring Din Djarin and Grogu.

Star Wars: The Mandalorian is an eight-issue limited series, which presumably means each issue will adapt one episode of The Mandalorian: Season 1. The series is written by Rodney Barnes (Everybody Hates Chris) and drawn by Georges Jeanty (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8). The creative team also includes inker Karl Story, colorist Rachelle Rosenberg and main cover artist Adi Granov.

You can get a closer look at the first issue of The Mandalorian in the slideshow gallery below:

“The story of the Mandalorian checks so many boxes of the stuff I’m passionate about,” Barnes said to StarWars.com. “I love Westerns, fantasy, science fiction, comedy, drama…it’s a dream gig for any writer. I’m just glad I was chosen for this assignment!”

Marvel has published adaptations of most of Disney's Star Wars films in recent years. However, it appeared Marvel was shifting away from direct Star Wars adaptations, as the planned Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker comic was canceled in 2020. The Mandalorian will be the first Marvel adaptation specifically based on a Star Wars TV series rather than a movie.

Unfortunately, these projects haven't generally fared well with critics, and it remains to be seen if The Mandalorian's episodic format lends itself more easily to comics. IGN's review of Star Wars: The Last Jedi #1 says, "It's not simply that this issue blandly recycles material Star Wars fans have seen before; it's that it delivers such an inferior take on that material. This issue blazes right through the early scenes of the film. The pacing is relentless, never giving readers time to savor a situation or even appreciate the significance of the events unfolding."

Star Wars: The Mandalorian #1 will be released in comic shops and on digital storefronts on Wednesday, July 6. Marvel is also prepping a new limited series called Star Wars: Obi-Wan. This five-issue series will chronicle new Obi-Wan adventures set at five different points in the Jedi Master's life.

We expect both series to be a focus of the "Marvel Star Wars Comics" panel at Star Wars Celebration. The panel is scheduled for 4:30pm on Saturday, May 28, and IGN will be there to report on any announcements made during the panel.

Jesse is a mild-mannered staff writer for IGN. Allow him to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket by following @jschedeen on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors