Become a Patron!

Maximizing flavor out of a full-sized Freakshow

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I have a Freakshow. I'm just not sure how to get good flavor out of it right now. I'm running a dual parallel single coil in it right now that comes out to 0.5 ohms. It's 26agw kanthal with a 2.4mm ID. Honestly, it's just not putting out much flavor.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't really figure any thing out on mine either. Tried duels, singles, parallel builds from .2 to 1.2 not really getting alot of flavor or vapor compared to other rdas. I know one key is to make sure the coils go over the air holes. I will be interested to see what others have to say.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO, the Freakshow Mini doesn't produce much flavor either. However, you could try some twisted wire build. In addition, play with power and airflow.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's funny that they market these as flavor chasers...I have a SS and a Black that I never touch anymore...used a few times, tried a few different builds including clapton coils. Leaky as hell and less than par vapor / flavor. I got them at wholesale price so I'm not that worried about it...

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It's funny that they market these as flavor chasers...I have a SS and a Black that I never touch anymore...used a few times, tried a few different builds including clapton coils. Leaky as hell and less than par vapor / flavor. I got them at wholesale price so I'm not that worried about it...
My Freakshow Mini is collecting dust as well.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Goes to show, even though the airflow concept is similar to the Magma, it misses the mark because I think the airflow is cut too wide. The Magma concentrates the right amount of airflow directly to the coil, whereas the freakshow mini just blows air all over the place.

A smaller chamber doesn't necessarily equate to better flavor, nor does restrictive airflow either. I believe you have to have the right balance of both if you want a true flavor oriented atomizer. Everything else is just gimmicky IMO.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On the subject of mini RDAs, would people say the Derringer or Bambino produce more flavor? I'm thinking of getting another one just to chase flavor with.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm guessing those who own the Bambino will give it the nod, and claim the domed top improves flavor... But I seem to recall someone saying that there is no airflow control and that it's wide open. If that's true, then I'm not convinced its better... Especially if wide open means no single coil mode. Don't quote me on that though, cause I don't have one.

I do dig my derringers for flavor though.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm guessing those who own the Bambino will give it the nod, and claim the domed top improves flavor... But I seem to recall someone saying that there is no airflow control and that it's wide open. If that's true, then I'm not convinced its better... Especially if wide open means no single coil mode. Don't quote me on that though, cause I don't have one.

I do dig my derringers for flavor though.

Derringer might be something for I'd look into later on then. $75.00 though... might look into some clones.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have 2 derringer clones. One made by plume, the other by tobecco. The tobecco is better made, but I did have to clean up the holes in my AFC ring. The plume has a spinny center post, so I rebuild it as infrequently as possible.

If wotofo happens to make one, I'd look at theirs too. My wotofo made smpl is an a+ piece of equipment. Smpl obviously isn't an Atty, but wotofo did such a good job on it I had to mention their name.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 2 derringer clones. One made by plume, the other by tobecco. The tobecco is better made, but I did have to clean up the holes in my AFC ring. The plume has a spinny center post, so I rebuild it as infrequently as possible.

If wotofo happens to make one, I'd look at theirs too. My wotofo made smpl is an a+ piece of equipment. Smpl obviously isn't an Atty, but wotofo did such a good job on it I had to mention their name.

I have an authentic Freakshow. It's very well made. It's just that it's airflow is too small for clouds and the flavor tastes pretty muted in it...

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just wasn't sure if wotofo happened to make a derringer clone or not. If they do, I'd jump on it. I didn't even know they made clones until I bought my stainless smpl and asked the b&m who made it.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thinking about trying the troll rda. Looks just like the mutation inside and out just with a different air flow. Might not get the best flavor but my mutation is not bad with flavor.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thinking about trying the troll rda. Looks just like the mutation inside and out just with a different air flow. Might not get the best flavor but my mutation is not bad with flavor.

I've built a Troll. It's not a bad RDA at all. It's not the best for Vapor (personally I think the El Cabron is better), but it is still a beast.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Going to pick one up tomorrow. How was the flavor and cloud production? What kind of build you run in it? I'm problem going to throw a duel parrelel build on it to start with. But then I might try a 1.2-1.5ohm build on it. I haven't quite got the higher ohm builds right. Always just seem like there are better ways of building high ohm coils but can't really find anything on them online, it's always low ohm builds everywhere.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man! Ya'll have managed to depress the hell outta me :oops: :(
I ordered my first Freakshow this week after reading a bunch of hype about great flavor production. I have an incoming copper cherry bomber and was hoping it would be a good match.
Any thoughts on a Magma?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Derringer might be something for I'd look into later on then. $75.00 though... might look into some clones.
I also have a Derringer clone. I don't get the hype about it being a good flavor RDA either. IMO, the Vortex is a good flavor RDA with really good airflow. The SwirlFish is also an excellent flavor RDA.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I ordered my first Freakshow this week after reading a bunch of hype about great flavor production. I have an incoming copper cherry bomber and was hoping it would be a good match.
Any thoughts on a Magma?
The Magma is a good flavor RDA. However, for me personally, being a direct to lung hitter, it doesn't have much airflow.

Use nichrome on the freakshow for better flavor. I run fused claptons with 26ni80 and 32gkanthal a1 and it produces a very nice flavor. A Bambino or Derringer would be better flavor honestly, though. I have a simple 5 wrap royal wire build in my Bambino.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I checked out the troll today. It didn't come with a drip tip and it can only use a 510. I like big bore drip tips so I didn't get it.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Magma is a good flavor RDA. However, for me personally, being a direct to lung hitter, it doesn't have much airflow.

...And being bottom airflow, it leaks like a sieve from what I hear.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also have a Derringer clone. I don't get the hype about it being a good flavor RDA either. IMO, the Vortex is a good flavor RDA with really good airflow. The SwirlFish is also an excellent flavor RDA.

Seriously? My derringer blows every other atty I own out of the water when it comes to flavor, including my marquis. I wonder why you've had a negative experience.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What I've found with the freakshow, the space between the airflow slot and the coil is what determines the best flavor. I build 3 mm id center post parallel coils with 26 gauge and have them about 1.5 mm above the airflow slots. Standard Japanese cotton wicking. I tend to run less power through it, enough to get a good vapor, but not too hot. Heat is the other variable here, too much and you fry the juice and kill some of the flavor.

The Derringer puts out a lot of flavor too, but has to be built with the coils as near to the outside of the chamber as possible without shorting. Otherwise the little thing likes to spit ejuice.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Use nichrome on the freakshow for better flavor. I run fused claptons with 26ni80 and 32gkanthal a1 and it produces a very nice flavor. A Bambino or Derringer would be better flavor honestly, though. I have a simple 5 wrap royal wire build in my Bambino.
I'm using a 26g nichrome/26g kanthal twisted build in my freakshow mini now (a friend made the wire up for me) and it's badass! I'll be honest though, if I had other options I probably would not use the FS mini that often, it is leaky if you even slightly overfill or if your wicks are touching the side at all and the flavor is not that great. That being said, it's one of my favorite RDAs for clouds of the ones I currently have (FS mini, tugboat V1, Vulcan, and magma)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I checked out the troll today. It didn't come with a drip tip and it can only use a 510. I like big bore drip tips so I didn't get it.
You can get the big bore drip tip for it which is freaking huge.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We tryed a few of the big drip tips but none fit. And then I wouldn't be able to adjust the air flow. Think I will just pick up the doge v2

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a full size freak show I find that single builds work better then duals I have a 26g twisted coil at the moment and its like shoving the flavor at me.I also close up the air holes a bit it normally jumps the flavor up some.

So I have a Freakshow. I'm just not sure how to get good flavor out of it right now. I'm running a dual parallel single coil in it right now that comes out to 0.5 ohms. It's 26agw kanthal with a 2.4mm ID. Honestly, it's just not putting out much flavor.
Probably too late but, I have a Tobecco Derringer clone, 2.4mm dia dual coils, measured at .4 ohms. I usually keep it on a Wotofo SS SMPL. Flavor for days! better than my Magma, better than my Quasar, Tobh, or Stillare. That little thing puts out plenty of vapor too, keep the window open when you're driving! I plan on buying two more Derringers (at least), and put them on SMPL's, of course!

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Probably too late but, I have a Tobecco Derringer clone, 2.4mm dia dual coils, measured at .4 ohms. I usually keep it on a Wotofo SS SMPL. Flavor for days! better than my Magma, better than my Quasar, Tobh, or Stillare. That little thing puts out plenty of vapor too, keep the window open when you're driving! I plan on buying two more Derringers (at least), and put them on SMPL's, of course!

Haven't bought either anything other than a box mod lately. I'm thinking of a getting a Freakshow mini and a Derringer to see what happens. I rebuilt my Freakshow, and it's doing pretty well so far. A more narrow coil close to the air intake. Seven wraps, dual parallel 26 agw reading about 4.3 ohms.

I don't have a freakshow, yet, but one of the best coil builders I know has several, and he is a flavor chaser in the extreme. The last one that I saw him build, was dual, vertical coils, 24g, and I think about 3mm dia. he says it's all in the coils. I've found that the closer the coil is to the air supply the more flavor, and the warmer the vapor, but that is just my impression, and I'm no expert

Any thoughts on a Magma?
A Magma is a definite flavor chaser! It is at the top of a short list for me, then the Derringer and the Quasar (there may be better, I just don't know about them). Plus, the Magma has a *deep* well for lots of juice. Just don't overfill, or it'll leak like an s.o.b!

...a copper cherry bomber? You lucky bastard! ;-)

Last edited:
Oh, watch the floating pin on the Cherry Bomber, because the Magma has a super long 510 thread. In fact, I can't use it on my custom 120W box mod, because it jams the spring loaded pin.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, watch the floating pin on the Cherry Bomber, because the Magma has a super long 510 thread. In fact, I can't use it on my custom 120W box mod, because it jams the spring loaded pin.

My Tobecco El Cabron is the same way. I can't fit it on my FUhattan flush. Haven't tried it on my Good Wood Vapes box yet, but I only just got it today and the batteries I ordered for it haven't arrived yet.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
e0604d33ada7cb6a2e6fa9f29eed30cd.jpg

I just put these lil 28/38g claptons in my Freakshow mini and the flavor is pretty freakin' awesome. Closed off the airholes just a touch. Mine hasn't leaked on me at all, maybe i'm doing something wrong haha. I find that i cannot chain vape with it though. It has been getting REALLY hot on me. I'm sure with time i'll find the perfect build (for me) for this atty. But the tiny claptons are giving me some great flavor for now. Sorry about the shitty photo by the way

My Tobecco El Cabron is the same way. I can't fit it on my FUhattan flush. Haven't tried it on my Good Wood Vapes box yet, but I only just got it today and the batteries I ordered for it haven't arrived yet.

I don't have that problem, I always buy my batteries locally. No problems with (international) shipping, and, if you keep an eye out, you can get good prices. I just bout 6 LG HE4's for less than $30 with free shipping, from a shop only 200 miles away. And 2 MNKE 26650's for $15.99, no shipping from California.
Proving that a battery was DOA would be a problem if you had to return one.

I hear that the Freakshow has a long 510 thread, but can't say for sure, as I don't have one, yet.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I can't really figure any thing out on mine either. Tried duels, singles, parallel builds from .2 to 1.2 not really getting alot of flavor or vapor compared to other rdas. I know one key is to make sure the coils go over the air holes. I will be interested to see what others have to say.
That's it exactly I have a basic 24g build in mine at a 0.47ohm pushing 54w and its producing just great.
I did notice having it a few mm above the airflow slots help; and having the coil take up as much of the width of the slot as well.
7f909799eac4e4d228810f2becff248d.jpg

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gotta hit the mxv3 without drip tip to get good flavor out of it. Wish i had gotten it ss even though black looks the tits on hex ohm
aeea75500685e5852c9b5dca1307feae.jpg

Troll is similar but has differences in flavor and vape. Its a hotter vape than the mxv3
0ccbd6be2612d9b4b54b5bd4564b65a3.jpg

Deck is almost exactly the same shit.
1cd73dba618d73fa7dafa1b3449ee204.jpg

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I found a warm vape is packed with flavor. The cool vapes are not very flaverable because its the increased air that cools it and air cancels out flavor.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try moving the coil from directly over the vent hole. The air rushing directly across it will promote faster vaporization, and less flavor. Flavor is better with a slower evaporation rate.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try moving the coil from directly over the vent hole. The air rushing directly across it will promote faster vaporization, and less flavor. Flavor is better with a slower evaporation rate.

Huh... interesting. Will have to try that with the mini which I now have. Though I also have a Derringer now, and it's going to be hard to get me off of it.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The build itself has a lot to do with flavor, but that bottom airflow is designed to maximize clouds. Pushing the coil up towards the ppsts, or even using single airflow on the opposite side of a single coil build will help the taste.

VU Sponsors