Become a Patron!

Mech

Callumc

Member For 1 Year
Im new to the mechanical world after trying every regulated mod under the sun I felt it was finally time to make that step so I bought a Rogue USA clone mod and a drop rda. Im running a single Molicel INR - 20700 4.2v 30A battery with a dual fused clapton reading at 0.22 ohms. The heat up time of the coil seems to take a long time and im really not happy with it. Is there a way to make it quicker. Do I lower the ohms of my build? If so how much lower would you recommend or change the type of build? Or is there another way to combat this? Any help would be greatly appreciated as im eager to learn more
9e8b7370626f15c3249ca7c3d674c0f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd try taking a wrap off of each coil and see how that works for you.

Sent from a pile of wood chips

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
What gauge is you core wires?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bought it at a legit vape shop near me

A legit vape shop doesn't necessarily mean a legit battery friend. That is a re-wrap. That is not a Molicell wrap. The question is, what's under the wrap? Many if not most shops do not have the expertise or resources to sniff out counterfeit and or low grade batteries.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is a known authentic Molicel 20700A bought from LithiumIonWholesale. A recognized expert and reliable online vendor.
20201109_191502_cr.jpg

Callumc

Member For 1 Year
A legit vape shop doesn't necessarily mean a legit battery friend. That is a re-wrap. That is not a Molicell wrap. The question is, what's under the wrap? Many if not most shops do not have the expertise or resources to sniff out counterfeit and or low grade batteries.

Didn’t realise if im honest all that is behind the wrap is 5 numbers 03692

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Listen. I'm not beating up on your shop, OR you at all. However, that IS a re-wrap. It may be a legit cell or it may not. If not, that will explain a lot.

Callumc

Member For 1 Year
Listen. I'm not beating up on your shop, OR you at all. However, that IS a re-wrap. It may be a legit cell or it may not. If not, that will explain a lot.

Thats fair enough wasnt doubting it thought it was strange the shop name was on it. Wasnt saying you were. Any information helps me out so thank you

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you for the advice. Is there a metal you would recommend ? Nichrome or Titanium better?

Certainly NOT Titanium! That's for temp control only, and I wouldn't vape it even then.

N80 or N90 is going to heat up fastest, imo.

I also believe that battery is a re-wrap. None of my Molicells of any size look like that. You could be running a 15A battery there for all you know.

If you'll get a reliable battery from illumn.com, liionwholesale,com, or 18650batterystore.com, then you could run dual N80 coils (aliens or fused Claptons, for example) at about .15 and get much better ramp-up time.

You could also invest in a Wotofo Profile mesh RDA and blow yer hair back with a good battery!

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not knowing either what you expected nor the performance you're actually getting, it's tough to tell how large, if there is one, the discrepancy may be. It could be a legit cell in good condition and you just expected more punch out of your mech. That might be remedied by a different build.

Also, no offense, but a clone tube won't usually get you the same muscle that the authentic will.

The combination of a low grade or counterfeit re-wrapped battery with a possibly less than stellar performing clone may go a long way toward explaining mediocre performance. IF one or either of those is the case.

Callumc

Member For 1 Year
Certainly NOT Titanium! That's for temp control only, and I wouldn't vape it even then.

N80 or N90 is going to heat up fastest, imo.

I also believe that battery is a re-wrap. None of my Molicells of any size look like that. You could be running a 15A battery there for all you know.

If you'll get a reliable battery from illumn.com, liionwholesale,com, or 18650batterystore.com, then you could run dual N80 coils (aliens or fused Claptons, for example) at about .15 and get much better ramp-up time.

Thank you. Will buy some new batteries asap from one of those sites just to be safe as last thing i want is for any chance of venting

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Didn’t realise if im honest all that is behind the wrap is 5 numbers 03692
No sorry, that's not what I meant. It was just a question in order to point out that if it's not a factory wrap, we don't know what the cell actually is.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you. Will buy some new batteries asap from one of those sites just to be safe as last thing i want is for any chance of venting
That really is the way to go buddy. Glad you stopped in here to ask some questions. Mechanical mods are fabulous and not that tough to handle properly, but if you do get it wrong, it can go REALLY wrong. Always get your batteries from a known professional battery vendor.

Do know who Battery Mooch is?

Callumc

Member For 1 Year
That really is the way to go buddy. Glad you stopped in here to ask some questions. Mechanical mods are fabulous and not that tough to handle properly, but if you do get it wrong, it can go REALLY wrong. Always get your batteries from a known professional battery vendor.

Do know who Battery Mooch is?

I do he runs a forum about batteries and tests them to find the performance

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Those are some good ones.

Callumc

Member For 1 Year

Those are some good ones.

Thank you again everyone obviously being new to the mechanical side im going to make mistakes so im glad i have asked you all instead of doing it wrong and regretting it

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do he runs a forum about batteries and tests them to find the performance
He is an engineer who tests performance in the sense of how hard a given battery can be run safely. He doesn't actually have a forum, but he does have a magnificent youtube channel. He KNOWS what he is talkin about.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you again everyone obviously being new to the mechanical side im going to make mistakes so im glad i have asked you all instead of doing it wrong and regretting it
Everybody starts at the beginning :) Mechs are like hundreds of other things in life. Perfectly safe if you operate and maintain them right, and not so safe if you don't. There's something about the mechanical vape experience that just cannot be replicated in regulated devices.

Have no fear. You'll get there and you did the right thing asking questions. There's plenty of folks around here who can help you.

Callumc

Member For 1 Year
Everybody starts at the beginning :) Mechs are like hundreds of other things in life. Perfectly safe if you operate and maintain them right, and not so safe if you don't. There's something about the mechanical vape experience that just cannot be replicated in regulated devices.

Have no fear. You'll get there and you did the right thing asking questions. There's plenty of folks around here who can help you.

Im sure ill see you around here again soon and wont hesitate to ask again. Glad to know ive found a supportive community stay safe in these very strange times

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im sure ill see you around here again soon and wont hesitate to ask again. Glad to know ive found a supportive community stay safe in these very strange times
Seriously ,there's not that much to learn in order to really enjoy mechs safely. But you DO need to learn it.

I'm a tech guy by trade. I devour this kinda crap lol! I learned 100 times more than anybody needs to know just because I find it fascinating.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I sent the following to a member here who was buying her first mech. I'd like to think it's useful.
===========================================
It's not that difficult but yes, there's some things with mechs, and especially hybrid tubes that simply must be practiced. You know this.

3 things are crucial and are the ones that actually could result in disaster if not followed.

Name brand high amp batteries in good condition.

Battery wraps. Absolutely zero flaws tolerated. As you well know, there are no protections here.

We always hear this, but it's also absolutely critical. The positive pin on whatever atomizer goes on a direct battery connection mech MUST protrude from the negative threads enough so there is no chance of them touching the battery at the same time and it must be well insulated. If they're both touching the battery at the same time and somebody pushes that button, that's an almost guaranteed venting, or even explosion. Super easy to avoid

Those 3 are the big safety concerns.

Everything else will just effect performance, but not generally be actually dangerous

Like anything else, you learn it, develop some habits and I say that mechs are actually safer than regulated devices.

Callumc

Member For 1 Year
I sent the following to a member here who was buying her first mech. I'd like to think it's useful.
===========================================
It's not that difficult but yes, there's some things with mechs, and especially hybrid tubes that simply must be practiced. You know this.

3 things are crucial and are the ones that actually could result in disaster if not followed.

Name brand high amp batteries in good condition.

Battery wraps. Absolutely zero flaws tolerated. As you well know, there are no protections here.

We always hear this, but it's also absolutely critical. The positive pin on whatever atomizer goes on a direct battery connection mech MUST protrude from the negative threads enough so there is no chance of them touching the battery at the same time and it must be well insulated. If they're both touching the battery at the same time and somebody pushes that button, that's an almost guaranteed venting, or even explosion. Super easy to avoid

Those 3 are the big safety concerns.

Everything else will just effect performance, but not generally be actually dangerous

Like anything else, you learn it, develop some habits and I say that mechs are actually safer than regulated devices.

Will definitely be buying different batteries now as i didn’t realise they were rewrapped however I always check for flaws as Im an electrician by trade and know about the dangers of arcing. My rda is 100% protruding enough and it is peak insulated

Callumc

Member For 1 Year
Excellent!! You have a clear head start then. You understand voltage, current, resistance and wattage right outta the gate :D

Indeed I do which is why i felt more confident in making the step as before i started the job I was always kinda apprehensive

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Will definitely be buying different batteries now as i didn’t realise they were rewrapped however I always check for flaws as Im an electrician by trade and know about the dangers of arcing. My rda is 100% protruding enough and it is peak insulated

Liionwholesale. The only site i buy batts.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Excellent!! You have a clear head start then. You understand voltage, current, resistance and wattage right outta the gate :D

Depends, I know a few sparky’s in my day in the field that knew color coding only...

Which takes the black, which takes the white and codes for how many bends in conduit or JBoxes allowed in a run...

But figuring out voltages and ampres... all they knew was the Pole voltages and wild legs at best.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you for the advice. Is there a metal you would recommend ? Nichrome or Titanium better?

I use ni80. Heats up n cools down fast.

SUKMYVAPOR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got mine from imrbatteries.com. and mine is supposed to be legit and yours doesn't have the graphics scanner thing before the plus sign and mine only has plus no minus so why so many legit variations

Attachments

• 16049906095868828937393311235555.jpg
    16049906095868828937393311235555.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Callumc

Member For 1 Year
I got mine from imrbatteries.com. and mine is supposed to be legit and yours doesn't have the graphics scanner thing before the plus sign and mine only has plus no minus so why so many legit variations

They probably change the wraps regularly to stop them being copied so easily... i dont know but just a guess

VU Sponsors