Become a Patron!

Medical Study: Smokers Switching To E-Cigarettes Unlikely To Go Back

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay.... Help me out here...

"Of the e-cigarette users, 61.1 percent remained abstinent from tobacco (
while 23.1 percent and 26.0 percent of tobacco-only smokers and dual users achieved tobacco abstinence)...”

How in the heck can ANY person belonging to either one of these tobacco using populations achieve abstinence from tobacco? Membership into either of these groups inherently includes participation in the actual, current, use of a tobacco product...

...the study said. “The rate (18.8 percent) of stopping use of either product (tobacco and/or e-cigarettes) was not higher for e-cigarette users compared with tobacco smokers or dual users."

Didn't they just say that 61.1% of the e-cigarette users remained abstinent from tobacco? Isn't that 42.3% more that did achieve abstinence over the 18.1% of whatever the heck this number is (that seems to have been pulled out of someone's ass and incongruously tossed into the story as the beginning of a new paragraph) that didn't?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
i guess they mean that dual users who achieve tobacco abstinence are the ones who go on to just vape?

i don't really know either.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was near your old neighborhood a couple of days ago. Stopped in Dead Freddie's for a bit...

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Seems rather obvious: Those who quit using other methods are far more tempted to resume smoking than vapers are. We get to enjoy as much or as little nicotine as we want or need in a manner similar to to the one we gre accustomed to, but without all the negative side effects that come with smoking.

Meanwhile idiots like the FDA, the CDC, and Stan Glantz claim vaping is not effective. o_O

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been reading about US vaping laws, pending laws, regulation of the industry on VU for sometime now which seems hostle to the very notion of vaping. Meanwhile in the UK we are on the verge of being able to get e cigarettes on prescription as a smoking ceasation device! .... And guess who has been given the contract and the license to provid this service...British American Tabacco plc! Who not only manufacturer cigarettes! but also make the e-vic range!

VU Sponsors