Michael Keaton Didn't Fully Understand How His Batman Returns in The Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Michael Keaton will be one of two Batmen appearing in the upcoming The Flash movie. A new profile on Keaton goes in-depth on why the actor agreed to take up the cowl again, and how he was initially confused by how his Batman will even appear in The Flash.

Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, Keaton says he agreed to appear in the movie after being impressed by the script, written by Birds of Prey writer Christina Hodson. Though if Keaton is being honest, it took him three tries at the script to understand how his Batman returns.

“I had to read it more than three times to go, ‘Wait, how does this work?’” Keaton says. “They had to explain that to me several times.”

But Keaton says it’s not the fault of anyone but his own given that the concept of a multiverse is sometimes difficult to grasp.

“I’m not being arrogant, I hope, about this. I don’t say it like, ‘I’m too groovy.’ I’m stupid. There’s a lot of things I don’t know about. And so, I don’t know, I just kind of figured it out, but this was different,’ Keaton admits.

While The Flash plot is under wraps, many have inferred that it will adapt some storylines from Flashpoint, a story arc where Barry Allen uses his speed to travel back in time and save his mother. Only this also messes up the future.

While it likely won’t be a direct adaptation, this could help introduce multiple Batmans (Ben Affleck is set to return for the movie as well) and potentially refresh the DC universe for future films.

Keaton, who turned down reprising the role of Batman in Batman Forever after disagreeing with the script, is back for The Flash because of the script and director Andy Muschietti’s vision. But Keaton always imagined returning to the role.

“Frankly, in the back of my head, I always thought, ‘I bet I could go back and nail that motherf*cker.’” Keaton confides.

Along with the multiple Batmen, The Flash will star Ezra Miller’s Barry Allen, Sasha Calle as Supergirl, Kiersey Clemons as Iris West, and Ron Livingston as Henry Allen, taking over for Billy Crudup.

With The Flash underway, DC’s movie slate is looking pretty robust. The company is also working on a Batgirl and Blue Beetle film exclusively for HBO Max, while Aquaman 2 has started production. And of course, there’s Robert Pattinson’s Batman film which was delayed to 2022.

Matt T.M. Kim is IGN's News Editor. You can reach him @lawoftd.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors