Mindhunter: David Fincher Says His Netflix Series Is Probably Dead, No Season 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Sorry Mindhunter fans: a third season of David Fincher's Netflix crime drama is looking unlikely after the director says a new season is likely not something Netflix will want to pursue due to cost and viewership. Speaking to Vulture about his latest movie, Mank, director David Fincher said Mindhunter is probably over. He explained to Vulture that the process of making Mindhunter was exhausting and that for the viewership the show had, it was too expensive — likely too expensive for a third season to receive a green light. [widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=10-real-serial-killers-featured-in-mindhunter-season-2&captions=true"] "I think probably," Fincher told Vulture when asked if he thought the show was done. "Listen, for the viewership that it had, it was an expensive show. We talked about, 'Finish Mank and then see how you feel,' but I honestly don't think we're going to be able to do it for less than I did season two. And on some level, you have to be realistic about dollars have to equal eyeballs." He also told Vulture that making Mindhunter, or at least season two of it, was exhausting. Fincher said the first season of the show was completed without a showrunner, "with me pinch-hitting on a week-by-week basis." When the director received scripts for season two, he didn't like what was written so the scripts were tossed and an assistant director he'd worked with before, Courtenay Miles, was brought in as co-showrunner for the second season. "But it's a 90-hour workweek," Fincher said, telling Vulture Mindhunter was a lot for him. "It absorbs everything in your life. When I got done, I was pretty exhausted, and I said, 'I don't know if I have it in me right now to break season three." [widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=netflixs-mindhunter-season-2-images&captions=true"] Between the exhaustion and financial challenge of a possible third season, Fincher seems to believe a season three isn't in the cards. This doesn't come as a major surprise as back in January, cast members were released from their contracts with Netflix. If you haven't yet watched Mindhunter, read our thoughts on the first season in our Mindhunter Season 1 review and then check out our thoughts on the second season in our Mindhunter Season 2 review. Be sure to check out all of the serial killers featured in the show's second season and who played them after that. [poilib element="accentDivider"] Wesley LeBlanc is a freelance news writer and guide maker for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @LeBlancWes.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors