Become a Patron!

Mom's Pineapple Cake clone

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been looking at this recipe for a few months, but haven't seemed to get it right yet.

Here's the original recipe:
Cake Batter (CAP) 3%
Graham Cracker (TPA) 3%
New York Cheesecake (CAP) 2%
Pineapple (TPA) 2%
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 4%

I try to stay away from the baddies in flavors so I made the following changes:

FW Cake Batter Dip instead of CAP
CAP Golden Pineapple instead of TFA
CAP Vanilla Custard V2 instead of CAP V1
5%TFA Cheesecake (Graham Crust) instead of 2% CAP NY Cheesecake + 3% TFA Graham Cracker

I end end with something that tastes great, but is missing that extra something. I've heard talk about adding marshmallow, or yellow cake. I have both, but would love some feedback on any ideas. I am waiting for more 10ml bottles in the mail, so I'd rather not use up too many on one recipe + tweaks.

A few thoughts were to add a tiny bit of brown sugar, orange, or lemon. Or a mix of each.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd add a bit of FA lemon. Will help make the pineapple "pop".

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How strong is it? What does it do for the flavor? Does it just add more citrus or will it bring out more hints of the pineapple?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's fairly strong. The purpose of adding lemon in small amounts is that it will blend with the pineapple and enhance it. Lemon/Sour flavors tend to blend well with strong fruit flavors to bring out the character of the fruit. That's why Upside down cakes tend to have a bit of lemon in them, even if they are not lemon flavored. Look at some recipes on the net for the actual cake.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have made some upside down cakes. I typically ad both lemon and orange zest, instead of juice, but it does the same thing. I guess it makes sense that it would in e juice too. But if you think lemon would work better than orange, I'll give that a try first. I haven't messed with FA much yet. Most of my flavors are TFA, CAP, and FW. I have a few from FA, but when you say "a little" do you mean sub 1% I know their flavors are already more concentrated. I'm picturing adding 0.5%

breadbeard

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been vaping on HiC's scone recipe quite a bit and the lemon really stands out and makes the juice vibrant. Granted there is FA Custard in it, which also has a hint of lemon, the FA Lemon Sicily shines through and mixes in great at .5%

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks bb. It's in the mail. I'll probably be mixing it up later this week. I'll let you guys know it turns out.

As for the cheesecake part. Any ideas on how TFA's cheesecake (graham crust) compares to using both NY cheesecake and graham cracker separately?

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks good. Can't wait to buy the flavors. How do you the difference between cap and FW cake batter?

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I stay away from Acetyl Propionyl and Acetoin. So I've never tried CAP's version. Someone else may have a better idea

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have both the CAP and FW versions of Cake Batter, there pretty similar but CAP is stronger so I generally use a very small percentage or it will dominate a mix. I try and stay away from Diketones too but if it is cake batter in about 0.50% then it doesn't worry me much.

I just started using the FW version, I have to say it is pretty good and I might just switch to it completely.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I made one similar but was never happy with any of the pineapple i tried. Just recently got jungle pineapple and it's great but its super strong like 0.8%.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried it minus the lemon. I know I should let it steep for longer, but after 2 days, I'm not as impressed as I am with a pineapple cheesecake I made a few months ago. I'll give it another go when my lemon gets here, but I'm not guaranteeing I'll enjoy it as much.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I decided to try this out, sounded tasty.

Here is what I wound up mixing tonight:

Cake Batter Dip FW 3%
Graham Cracker V2 CAP 0.50%
Cheesecake Graham Crust TFA 2%
Pineapple INW 2%
Pineapple TFA 0.50%
Vanilla Custard V2 CAP 4%
Lemon Mix INW 0.50%

As a shake n vape it is mainly a light lemony pineapple, might want to cut it down on the lemon to 0.25% to start. I should have left out the TFA Pineapple all together but I plan on checking back on it after a week of steeping. It is pretty tasty though, just not getting much of a cake taste to it but the cake and custard take awhile to develop so I am thinking a week or 2 might yield better results.
I only used .5% graham cracker as IME it tends to get too much cinnamon if I go higher than 1 or 2 %. I was almost going to leave it out completely but thought a touch might be nice.

Overall as a shake n vape it is not bad, I have been vaping it for the past hour and it is enjoyable. I hope it gets better with steeping, I will let you know in a week or 2 how it is after steeping.

Definitely start off with a very small amount of Lemon though, INW is usually about as strong as FA and the lemon I used really come though with only .5% of it and I am betting the FA is the same.

VU Sponsors