Become a Patron!

Moon Knight: Psychologists Rate Season 1's Depiction of Dissociative Identity Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Near the end of the first episode of Marvel's Moon Knight, protagonist Steven Grant, played by Oscar Isaac, speaks with another part of his personality in a bathroom mirror. Grant is being chased by a jackal in a museum, his workplace, and is in a pure panic as to how he can survive. While the man in the mirror is him, everything about him is different, from his demeanor to his accent and word choice, to his name, Marc Spector.

Marc speaks to Steven in a calm voice telling him, "You need to give me control...You’re not gonna die; let me save us."

The scene may seem overly dramatic, but Karla Amanda Brown, a licensed marriage and family therapist with a masters in counseling psychology, says that it's a more realistic depiction of Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) than one might think. It’s a calming approach that can be used to, “orient to the moment, because [Steven] is just in this panic state, but there is still this energy that is like [...] 'Let me help you, you’re not alone.'"

Scenes like this illustrate how Isaac’s Marc/Steven is suffering from what is known as Dissociative Identity Disorder [or DID for short], which is described by Kylie Svenson – a licensed clinical social worker that specializes in DID – as "when someone has multiple, usually two or more, parts of self (or divided personalities) that are highly separate". These personalities are separated by amnesia barriers, meaning that when one personality takes over, they can no longer remember what was happening beforehand.

While the show itself doesn’t explicitly diagnose Isaac’s character, external media surrounding the show has, including the original comics and various interviews conducted by Isaac himself. In an interview with NME, Isaac claims, “This is a first for the MCU: where the story itself is about a person and their DID.”

Marvel's quest to accurately portray DID​

With DID being a big part of Moon Knight’s story, Marvel was very sensitive about ensuring the proper portrayal of mental health, with measures including the hiring of board-certified psychiatrist Dr. Paul Puri to work with actors and directors. Isaac also talked about the personal effect it had on his uncle, who he said was deeply moved by the performances in Moon Knight.

“He started crying watching an episode of Moon Knight because, I think, it just felt like being seen," Isaac said in an interview with Esquire when the show debuted. "There was something there that felt like an acknowledgment of the pain and what people do with pain, and the forgiveness, of how you forgive yourself, and how to come to terms with the child within you.”

In short, Marvel made a big deal about Moon Knight getting mental health ⁠— and specifically DID ⁠— right. Over the course of the season, IGN separately spoke with multiple experts of our own, who in turn helped us break down some of the season’s key moments from a mental health perspective. With Season 1 now concluded, those experts say Moon Knight was indeed largely successful, but with a few caveats.

Brandon Youngblood, a professor of general psychology at Sacramento City College for the past seven years with a masters in general research psychology and a graduate certificate in forensic criminology, explains how to recognize DID, which informs so much of Isaac’s character.

"The baseline for properly recognizing DID is a couple of things: switching between two or more alters, a recurred amnesia between alters and switches causing them clinical stress and dysfunction […] issues with work, relationships etc," Youngblood says.

All of these elements are represented in some capacity in the show. The transition from Steven to Marc, and eventually the introduction of Jake Lockley, shows the switch in personalities. In the first few episodes, it leaves Steven confused as to where he is and how he got there, which causes him to have panic attacks as seen in the second episode.

Brown and Youngblood both view DID as a spectrum disorder, making it similar to autism. They both say that what is depicted in the show is possible, but not entirely representative of all cases. Brown explains, for example, how a scene from the first episode, in which Steven Grant has no recollection of a date scheduled at a steakhouse, and is even noted to be a vegan, is a realistic situation for someone with DID.

"They are different personality structures so absolutely, some can be vegan and others not. Facial expressions (between personalities) can be very distinctive and very different," Brown says.

In another sequence later in the episode, Steven is surrounded by armed men. In a panic, Steven begins to pass out and wakes back up with the men that were fighting him now dead, a pistol in his hand, and no recollection of what happened.

Brown explains that, while the situation itself may be over-the-top, the trigger for that switch in personality is believable: "In cases of extreme stress like that, the switching can happen very rapidly [...] as the scene depicts."

How Moon Knight fares in its depiction of DID​

Ultimately, Marc and Steven are able to reconcile their individual personalities. The last episode shows Marc attempting to rescue Steven from the Duat – the realm of the dead in ancient Egyptian mythology. Marc tells Steven, "I survived because I knew I wasn’t alone. You were always there, alive and full of hope... You are the only real superpower I ever had."

Youngblood says of the scene, “I thought that was a real nod to the lived experiences of people with DID. Because what DID often is, is a superpower of sorts to protect people from a complete mental break. It emerges to absorb the pain and trauma that is endured by people with DID.

So, how does the series’ depiction of DID fare overall?

"I think the splitting between the alters is actually done quite well, however it does not appropriately highlight the amnesia," Youngblood says, referring to a moment later in the series in which the characters intermingle their experiences with recollection of what was happening with the other alters. “I would give them a solid B+ or an A- in how they were able to demonstrate DID to audiences."

One thing Youngblood appreciated as an accurate touch was the mention of Marc going AWOL in a fugue state. "Referring to an associative fugue, that's a very clinical term and I was very impressed they went there."

I think the splitting between the alters is actually done quite well, however it does not appropriately highlight the amnesia

Either way, Brown and Youngblood agree that many aspects of DID as depicted in Moon Knight are reasonably accurate. Fast-paced personality switching, walls between the personalities, accents, eating habits, memories and muscle memory are claimed to be within the realm of possibility for someone with DID. The show utilizes the characters’ DID to better empower them.

In the end, Steven and Marc fully embrace their identity. “While it is tempting to accept your diagnosis Doc, we’d rather go save the world.”

For more information on DID, visit the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation. For other coverage of the series, IGN’s reviews can be found here. IGN has also done coverage on the authenticity of its representation of Egypt, fun easter eggs like comics being found within the show and religious implications and their importance in telling the story.

Gavin Scott Hudson is a freelance writer.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors