Become a Patron!

Move to introduce cigarette alternatives in Asia stubbed out by government resistance

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
“Heat-not-burn” products – as the name implies – heat up tobacco leaves up to 350°C, producing a vapour, as opposed to the burning of tobacco in cigarettes at around 900°C. Heat-not-burn” products – as the name implies – heat up tobacco leaves up to 350°C, producing a vapour, as opposed to the burning of tobacco in cigarettes at around 900°C.

The vapour contains on average 90 per cent less toxic chemicals than cigarette smoke, according to Marlboro maker Philip Morris International (PMI), which this month launched two new tobacco-heating products under the IQOS line. However, the WHO has said there is “no evidence to demonstrate” that these products are less harmful than conventional tobacco counterparts. The vapour contains on average 90 per cent less toxic chemicals than cigarette smoke, according to Marlboro maker Philip Morris International (PMI).

I kinda doubt this statement from BT, but I'm sure BT would fix that really quickly, to keep um coming back for more, like the regular coffin nails.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
“Heat-not-burn” products – as the name implies – heat up tobacco leaves up to 350°C, producing a vapour, as opposed to the burning of tobacco in cigarettes at around 900°C. Heat-not-burn” products – as the name implies – heat up tobacco leaves up to 350°C, producing a vapour, as opposed to the burning of tobacco in cigarettes at around 900°C.

The vapour contains on average 90 per cent less toxic chemicals than cigarette smoke, according to Marlboro maker Philip Morris International (PMI), which this month launched two new tobacco-heating products under the IQOS line. However, the WHO has said there is “no evidence to demonstrate” that these products are less harmful than conventional tobacco counterparts. The vapour contains on average 90 per cent less toxic chemicals than cigarette smoke, according to Marlboro maker Philip Morris International (PMI).

I kinda doubt this statement from BT, but I'm sure BT would fix that really quickly, to keep um coming back for more, like the regular coffin nails.

The "HnB" devices for the other stuff seem to be a decent harm reduction method for that.

I would imagine it would work for tobacco as well.

Now the whole "90%" thing is where I'm having trouble.

If they said 75% it would maybe be more believable.

I read somewhere that out of the things they tested for all but one put out less emissions in the 90%+ range but the one that didn't was almost equal to a cigarette.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The "HnB" devices for the other stuff seem to be a decent harm reduction method for that.

I read somewhere that out of the things they tested for all but one put out less emissions in the 90%+ range but the one that didn't was almost equal to a cigarette.
I haven't seen any genuine testing results yet, have you?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
“Heat-not-burn” products – as the name implies – heat up tobacco leaves up to 350°C, producing a vapour, as opposed to the burning of tobacco in cigarettes at around 900°C.
I wouldn't go so far as to call them leaves. In fact, they look more like stems. (No seeds, just stems -- ;)). I believe they're some sort of "reconstituted" tobacco, but rather than being formed into sheets and then cut into small strips that resemble cut leaves, they made as little sticks They also have a good bit more glycerin and possibly some PG in them to help vapor production.

I haven't seen any genuine testing results yet, have you?

FWIW, I got an IQOS and a carton of Heets on a trip to Europe a couple of months ago, just out of blatant curiosity. I disagree with a couple of his conclusions:

"but bad smell" (very similar to smoking)
If there's a "bad smell" it's minimal enough that nobody around me has ever noticed it. I haven't smoked in darn near 5 years, and I guarantee they would notice if I lit up a real cigarette.

"Not satisfactory (probably disgusting) for established e-cigarette users"
I think it's safe to say that I'm an established e-cigarette user. I'm not a fan of the IQOS taste at all, but I very much like the effect it produces. Yes boys and girls, there is something in tobacco that's missing from vapes (even WTA vapes). IQOS supplies it. Strangely, I find that I want at most one a day, and there are many days I don't bother having one at all, and plain old nicotine suffices. But when the mood strikes, having a Heet is a pleasant change of pace, and is calming/relaxing in a way that plain nic just isn't.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yes, and using the HnB method for that other stuff, I'd venture to say it might be more like 50%. There IS a small amount of cindery stuff left over; it's rather different in texture from normal ashes, and FAR less than the ashes you'd get normally... but it's closer to smoking than to vaping, IMO.

And I have to agree with Inspects; though there may be less TOXIC chemicals, BT has played a very shady, insidious game with cigarettes, considering the MAOIs and the added ammonia, not to mention the topical anesthetics and bronchodilators they add -- all to keep people from feeling the true damage of smoking... until it's way too late to do anything about it except die. This is my biggest beef with BT, how they deliberately hide the body's damage by adding those chemicals, and reinforcing the addiction by NEVER MENTIONING the MAOIs and the role they play in addiction, and coupled with nicotine and the brain's own dopamine to create a nearly unbreakable addiction. It's absolutely nefarious.

Andria

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes boys and girls, there is something in tobacco that's missing from vapes (even WTA vapes). IQOS supplies it. Strangely, I find that I want at most one a day, and there are many days I don't bother having one at all, and plain old nicotine suffices. But when the mood strikes, having a Heet is a pleasant change of pace, and is calming/relaxing in a way that plain nic just isn't.

I'm not sure it's anything *in* tobacco.. but maybe something *in* the *smoke* -- and I do find the HnB to be a good bit closer to smoking than vaping. There are literally thousands of chemicals in the smoke, any or all of which might have some effect, whether physical, psychoactive, and/or toxic, which may not exist at all in the tobacco -- only when you set it on fire, or come very close to setting it on fire.

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, and using the HnB method for that other stuff, I'd venture to say it might be more like 50%. There IS a small amount of cindery stuff left over; it's rather different in texture from normal ashes, and FAR less than the ashes you'd get normally... but it's closer to smoking than to vaping, IMO.

And I have to agree with Inspects; though there may be less TOXIC chemicals, BT has played a very shady, insidious game with cigarettes, considering the MAOIs and the added ammonia, not to mention the topical anesthetics and bronchodilators they add -- all to keep people from feeling the true damage of smoking... until it's way too late to do anything about it except die. This is my biggest beef with BT, how they deliberately hide the body's damage by adding those chemicals, and reinforcing the addiction by NEVER MENTIONING the MAOIs and the role they play in addiction, and coupled with nicotine and the brain's own dopamine to create a nearly unbreakable addiction. It's absolutely nefarious.

Andria
I wouldn't trust an product related to BT either.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Based on your description, I have doubts that the "other stuff" vaporizers are comparable to an IQOS. I've taken apart and examined used-up Heets and there's no cidery stuff resembling ashes. The pressed tobacco sticks remain intact.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Based on your description, I have doubts that the "other stuff" vaporizers are comparable to an IQOS. I've taken apart and examined used-up Heets and there's no cidery stuff resembling ashes. The pressed tobacco sticks remain intact.

But I wonder what the result would be if the tobacco was loose, as "the other stuff" is. It's just the same stuff as is used for smoking, whereas the "tobacco sticks" are especially made for HnB -- who's to say that BT isn't deliberately adding something in the creation of those tobacco sticks, that won't LET them fall apart into cindery stuff, thus fooling their consumers? Kinda like adding bronchodilators and topical anesthetics to cigarette tobacco, so the user has no idea of how much cigarettes are really harming him.

I do still think that BP is far worse in terms of ethics and as an opponent to vaping... but considering the two of them (BP and BT), that really ain't saying much. :D

Andria

VU Sponsors